Why it is time for Mark "Bo" Pelini to go

Guys - I do most of my posting over on other message boards. I don't post much, unless compelled to.

Let me say what I have to say, agree or disagree.

Bo Pelini is one heck of a coach. I think his defensive schemes are great. Hell, they won a national championship, and helped contribute to a Super Bowl. That being said....

Bo Pelini should not be the head coach at The University of Nebraska. Here's my argument why...

I'm sure he'll get into the post game presser and will use at least one (if not all) of these lines:

"We just didn't execute."

"We got outcoached."

"You were out there, you saw it. What do you think?"

This has been the same every time his team is beaten by a top 25 opponent. Badly.

I used to coach myself. No, I didn't coach at the level these guys do. But, to me, a coach at any level is one two things - a teacher, and an example.

He's the guy who gets the team together. He keeps them composed. He keeps them believing in him and themselves. He makes them into a family.

I don't see that, and never have, in Bo. Which pains me to say that, because I was one of his main supporters for him being here.

All he has done this entire game is:

Screamed at refs.

Screamed at players

Screamed at assistant coaches.

Where's he at trying to teach? Where's he at trying to compose the team? He's got a Sophomore QB who isn't playing well - where's he trying to encourage him at?

He's got a guy who was a Heisman trophy candidate who is battling an injury. This same guy has put it on the carpet today and hasn't played well at all - where's the Head Coach at trying to encourage his player?

We're all looking at this team...wondering why they fumble the ball....why they get penalties on the first play of the series coming right out of a time out or a change of possession....why they are so out of position against great players.

Lack.

Of.

Discipline..

If the head coach shows no poise...how can you ask the team to show any? And that's why this team plays without poise and discipline quite often. This is why ball security (another lack of discipline) is such a problem with this team.

Who can replace him? Craig Bohl was out there. Scott Frost is coaching right now at a top 10 team. Kirby Smart is the defensive coordinator at the #5 team in the country right now. There are plenty of guys that can replace Bo.

Just one man's opinion. I didn't want to give up on Bo. But after this, I had to.

Every season we come to the same place with this coach. I do not believe he has come CLOSE to maximizing the potential of the staff––meaning hires. When given the chance, he takes the easy way out each and every time.

He coaches a mentally weak team. Is there any other explanation besides learned behavior from the example set on the sideline?

I actually think now is a good time for Pelini to leave for a few reasons.

Firstly, the team is fairly young. A new coach would inherit a pretty good roster without a lot of shakeups, we'd easily duplicate our 8-9 win regular season next year even with a new staff. Secondly, our recruiting class is very small this season. Per the usual, a change in the coaching staff would cause recruits to look elsewhere, however, doing this with a small class like this one would cause very little damage. The new staff wouldn't have to scramble to fill out the class, keeping 12-13 recruits in the fold would be very successful. Plus, I think several members of the class would stick around anyway.

I can't really say the same thing next season. The roster would be much older and the recruiting class much larger and negatively impacted by a coaching change.

• Fire 1

it's gotten so bad that every time Nebraska makes a bad play the camera automatically pans over to Bo to get his reaction he is literally just become an embarrassment

Pretty much. But can you blame the media for doing so?

I don't. It's far more entertaining than what is happening on field.

They are really just watching him to see him explode and chew out the player who made the mistake as he misses then next 3 plays. I have no problem with chewing a player out if it's done in private in the locker room. But, to waste the time on the field to embarrass a 20 some year old is for the birds. It's no wonder this team can't keep their cool under pressure. Their entire coaching staff implodes under it right in front of their very eyes. Then, when the schemes don't function properly, players are belittled on the sidelines. Acting like that during the game, and then saying oh it's our fault as coaches after the game is just total lip service. Just sick and tired of this self-fulfilling prophecy we have where we just get embarrassed on national television. It was extremely hard to stomach that second half as a fan. As someone had stated in a post previously, I am just disappointed at this point (not mad or angry) which IMO is the absolute worst. You can't blame the players too much as they are 20 year olds who play their tails off for our amusement

it's gotten so bad that every time Nebraska makes a bad play the camera automatically pans over to Bo to get his reaction he is literally just become an embarrassment

They are really just watching him to see him explode and chew out the player who made the mistake as he misses then next 3 plays. I have no problem with chewing a player out if it's done in private in the locker room. But, to waste the time on the field to embarrass a 20 some year old is for the birds. It's no wonder this team can't keep their cool under pressure. Their entire coaching staff implodes under it right in front of their very eyes. Then, when the schemes don't function properly, players are belittled on the sidelines. Acting like that during the game, and then saying oh it's our fault as coaches after the game is just total lip service. Just sick and tired of this self-fulfilling prophecy we have where we just get embarrassed on national television. It was extremely hard to stomach that second half as a fan. As someone had stated in a post previously, I am just disappointed at this point (not mad or angry) which IMO is the absolute worst. You can't blame the players too much as they are 20 year olds who play their tails off for our amusement

Players execute.

Coaches inspire and coach.

Player loyalty isn't always uniform throughout the whole team. But I tell you this....

You can scream and holler at a player all you want - if you're winning football games.

Ask Nick Saban or Brian Kelly. They're always screaming at guys on the sideline. Heck, I watched Saban maul a kid just this past weekend.

"Such descriptions of coaches as being “like gods” or “like fathers” — and of athletes’ willingness to “run through a brick wall” for them — can be seen largely as a function of the coach’s social role in the development of masculinity."

- Power at Play: Sports and the Problem of Masculinity (Messner)

Ever hear any former players be critical of Saban?

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/alabama-aj-mccarron-criticizes-nick-saban-crimson-tide-leadership-cfb-am-100814

After Alabama’s loss to Ole Miss last weekend, McCarron had a couple, albeit respectful, criticisms of head coach Nick Saban and the Tide’s leadership.

McCarron said Saban tends to “handcuff” his offensive coordinators and might have done that to Lane Kiffin last week, and he mentioned that one of Bama’s problems is there are no “true leaders” to step up when things are going wrong.

Won two championships with this guy. Saban isn't there to make friends. He's there to win games. That's his role, and that's how he plays it. And that's why he's so damn good at it.

That's the role of today's head football coaches. Yes, graduating players is part of the job. But players are just that - players. It's not like it used to be. A good number of today's players are so coddled (see Winston, Manziel), and a coach just doesn't have time for that.

People criticize Fisher and the way he's handled Winston. Yep, I agree to a point. But his job is to coach that team, not be the moral center of one player.

I know, it sounds bad. But this is the way CFB is now. More like the NFL, less like college football.

Urban Meyer is good at what he does. Why? Look at what happened in Florida. Players acting nutty off the field. Did he suspend all of them? Nope.

Look at Les Miles. He had a star running back KO another guy in a parking lot. Then, asks the TEAM what punishment he should give. C'mon.

Say what you want. If we want success, we've got to come down off the pedestal we've placed ourselves on a bit, humanize our football coaches, and not EXPECT them to be the next Dr. Tom Osborne.

Players execute.

Coaches inspire and coach.

Player loyalty isn't always uniform throughout the whole team. But I tell you this....

You can scream and holler at a player all you want - if you're winning football games.

Ask Nick Saban or Brian Kelly. They're always screaming at guys on the sideline. Heck, I watched Saban maul a kid just this past weekend.

"Such descriptions of coaches as being like gods or like fathers and of athletes willingness to run through a brick wall for them can be seen largely as a function of the coachs social role in the development of masculinity."

- Power at Play: Sports and the Problem of Masculinity (Messner)

Ever hear any former players be critical of Saban?

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/alabama-aj-mccarron-criticizes-nick-saban-crimson-tide-leadership-cfb-am-100814

After Alabamas loss to Ole Miss last weekend, McCarron had a couple, albeit respectful, criticisms of head coach Nick Saban and the Tides leadership.

McCarron said Saban tends to handcuff his offensive coordinators and might have done that to Lane Kiffin last week, and he mentioned that one of Bamas problems is there are no true leaders to step up when things are going wrong.

Won two championships with this guy. Saban isn't there to make friends. He's there to win games. That's his role, and that's how he plays it. And that's why he's so damn good at it.

That's the role of today's head football coaches. Yes, graduating players is part of the job. But players are just that - players. It's not like it used to be. A good number of today's players are so coddled (see Winston, Manziel), and a coach just doesn't have time for that.

People criticize Fisher and the way he's handled Winston. Yep, I agree to a point. But his job is to coach that team, not be the moral center of one player.

I know, it sounds bad. But this is the way CFB is now. More like the NFL, less like college football.

Urban Meyer is good at what he does. Why? Look at what happened in Florida. Players acting nutty off the field. Did he suspend all of them? Nope.

Look at Les Miles. He had a star running back KO another guy in a parking lot. Then, asks the TEAM what punishment he should give. C'mon.

Say what you want. If we want success, we've got to come down off the pedestal we've placed ourselves on a bit, humanize our football coaches, and not EXPECT them to be the next Dr. Tom Osborne.

First, big difference between "coddling" and chewing out a player in private. Second, I'm sure some of Saban's success is due to his ability to delegate duties, hire/work with effective coordinators, etc. instead of his ability to chew out his players. Third, you made a comparison of how a football coach is like a father. Also, like you've stated, Nebraska shouldnt expect to hire a coach that is exactly the same as TO. However, I believe Nebraska can hire a coach that takes care of business on the field and acts like a mature adult as well (pretty sure there are at least some out there in this world today).

First, big difference between "coddling" and chewing out a player in private. Second, I'm sure some of Saban's success is due to his ability to delegate duties, hire/work with effective coordinators, etc. instead of his ability to chew out his players. Third, you made a comparison of how a football coach is like a father. Also, like you've stated, Nebraska shouldnt expect to hire a coach that is exactly the same as TO. However, I believe Nebraska can hire a coach that takes care of business on the field and acts like a mature adult as well (pretty sure there are at least some out there in this world today).

I watched Saban chew out both Lane Kiffin and Kirby Smart a few weeks ago. Coaches get chewed by Saban just like players do. And I agree with what you said about the ability to delegate duties, etc, etc. That's because he's a HEAD COACH, no longer a D coordinator.

If Bo wants to get guys in here to keep his job, in my opinion - he's gotta let some guys go.

Cotton - Gone.

Beck - Gone.

Papuchis - Unfortunately, gone. I think he's got the most promise of these three, but his youth and inexperience just works against him.

Hire Muschamp as the D coordinator. Proven defensive commodity, former head coach. Let him have the reins.

If you want to have this same offense - hire Frost as the Offensive Coordinator from the Ducks. Let him have the reins.

Then, delegate and be a head coach. Win games that you're not expected to win.

Wanna know the difference between Ohio State, Bammer, LSU and all Nebraska?

People pencil in losses for Nebraska before the season starts. Be honest - none of us thought they were beating Bucky. That pains me to say it, but it's true.

People look at those other teams, and it's a hard choice for all of them.

It's somewhat comical how some coaches are looked upon. Take Saban for example. Michigan State was 5-6, 6-6, and 5-6 the three years prior to Saban coaching them. In Saban's first four years at Michigan State, he went 6-5-1; 6-6; 7-5; and 6-6. He never even won a bowl game while being at Michigan State. He then goes to LSU. While he did win a NC at LSU, he also got blasted a game or two. In fact, he lost to Georgia 45-16 his last year there just one year removed from winning a NC. He went to Alabama at the right time. College football is about being at the right place at the right time. It's of no wonder why Saban turned down the Texas Longhorns. Urban Meyer going to Florida is really no different. He gave up the opportunity of his dream job at Notre Dame to take the Florida job. He rode that bus until he saw the downward trajectory Florida was headed and bolted. He has done the same with Ohio State. I have no doubt health reasons will be cited again if Ohio State begins a downward trajectory.