Your Bo Pelini Argument is Invalid

NUpolo8

This is depressing as f#*k...

You wanna hear something crazy? What if I told you Bo’s most recent defenses are on par with Coz’s Blackshirts, at least against legit competition? Appear to have your mind blown…

Bo’s defenses vs. top-25 offenses (2011-14): 37.3 points, 508.1 yards

Cosgrove defenses vs. top-25 offenses (2004-07): 38.7 points, 484 yards

• Fire 1

Have any of you guys taken a look at Saban's record at Michigan state? You would have run him out on a rail! Is it possible that if we stick with Bo that he could be as good as Osborne? I know!!! Comparing Bo to doctor Tom is insane right because Osborne is a legend and one of the greatest coaches ever. Then why do you guys seem to think you know more about how to run the football program than he does?

Have any of you guys taken a look at Saban's record at Michigan state? You would have run him out on a rail! Is it possible that if we stick with Bo that he could be as good as Osborne? I know!!! Comparing Bo to doctor Tom is insane right because Osborne is a legend and one of the greatest coaches ever. Then why do you guys seem to think you know more about how to run the football program than he does?

Let's look at another team here for some perspective....

in 2000, under Mike DuBose, this team went 3-8, just after a 10 win season.

DuBose went 4-7, 7-5, 10-3, then 3-8. He was gone, fired.

Then, Dennis Franchione went there. He went 7-5, 10-3 in two years, then bailed to go coach Texas A&M.

After Coach Fran left, Mike Shula got there. He goes 4-9, 6-6, then 10 - 2, then 6-7. Because of NCAA Violations, his wins for 2005 and 2006 were vacated, giving him a record of 9 wins, zero losses in 05 and 06.

Then, in 2007, their new 'savior' arrived. A cast off guy from the Miami Dolphins that nobody liked at the time.

he goes 7-6 in his first season (five wins vacated due to the NCAA violations).

Then he goes 12-2, 14-0, 10-3, 12-1, 13-1, 11-2 and is currently coaching the #1 team in the land right now. That team? The University of Alabama.

That coach? Yep, you guessed it: Nick Saban.

Here's my point....a friend of mine said it to me a long time ago...

Sometimes, you have to "kiss" quite a few frogs to get the prince charming you want.

There's gonna be some 'dark' days ahead. But to get to where you want to go in

this day and age of CFB, you have to be patient, but willing to take risks on the guy you want. Bo isn't the guy - he needs to move on. We need to move on as well to get to where we want to go. Nothing wrong with that.

Bo righted the ship. But even a ship gets a new captain after a while.

P.S. - my friend kissed her prince charming and ended up marrying him. 15 years later, we're still happily married :)

How do we even know this though? How do we know we dont get the right guy right away? Seriously. We're sound, fundamental football away from 12-1. That's no joke either.

• Fire 1

Then, Dennis Franchione went there. He went 7-5, 10-3 in two years, then bailed to go coach Texas A&M.

After Coach Fran left, Mike Shula got there. He goes 4-9, 6-6, then 10 - 2, then 6-7. Because of NCAA Violations, his wins for 2005 and 2006 were vacated, giving him a record of 9 wins, zero losses in 05 and 06.

Then, in 2007, their new 'savior' arrived. A cast off guy from the Miami Dolphins that nobody liked at the time.

Then he goes 12-2, 14-0, 10-3, 12-1, 13-1, 11-2 and is currently coaching the #1 team in the land right now. That team? The University of Alabama.

Sometimes, you have to "kiss" quite a few frogs to get the prince charming you want.

this day and age of CFB, you have to be patient, but willing to take risks on the guy you want. Bo isn't the guy - he needs to move on. We need to move on as well to get to where we want to go. Nothing wrong with that.

P.S. - my friend kissed her prince charming and ended up marrying him. 15 years later, we're still happily married :)

How do we even know this though? How do we know we dont get the right guy right away? Seriously. We're sound, fundamental football away from 12-1. That's no joke either.

Saban was an established coach who already won a title. That model is the exception not the rule. Lot of failed programs are still kissing ugly frogs.

My issue with Bo is not in the wins. In that capacity, he is doing a good job. 9 wins blah, blah, blah. It is his losses and inability to beat a team with a pulse. he has shown improvement in most areas i.e. ST, his demeanor. recruiting, BUT continually fails to improve in his ability to beat ranked teams. The little thing that keeps us out of the hunt for anything of meaning........If we were at 9 wins and some of those (say half) included ranked teams and the losses were close say 3-10 points....maybe he'd get a pass. The complete meltdowns against better competition are the only sure thing.

Saw an article that the past 7 years IIRC, Bo's recruiting was 22, Wisky 42 and Minnie 59............

Have any of you guys taken a look at Saban's record at Michigan state? You would have run him out on a rail!

Not me. Lets take a look:

- First year on the job and he beats

. Bo has only beaten a top 10 team once (MU) in his head coaching career. It took him 3 years.... Saban went 6-5-1 after the previous coach did not win a single game last year. That is a 6 game upswing compared to Pelini's 4 game upswing from 2007-2008. Keep in mind saban had a tougher schedule his first year and bo did.

- Third year on the job and he beats a

. Had a schedule that consisted of 3 top ten teams, making it much stronger than Pelini's current strength of schedule for this 2014 season

- Went 9-2 in his fifth and last year on the job, 1999 season, beating 4 out of 6 RANKED TEAMS. Pelini would not survive 6 ranked teams on his plate in one season. He's already lost all 3 this year. doubt he even has a chance to beat a top 25 team after the minnesota loss unless he beats iowa and gets a better bowl opponent.

- Continuing, in Saban's FIFTH season, (after taking over a MSU team that did not win a single game the previous year), he fielded a better team than Bo has, considering Bo was given seven years and much more resources. The 1999 spartans ended the season with a top ten finish. Bo has never done that

Pelini's career at NU is not as successful as Saban's MSU career when you look past the total wins and losses, 34-24 for saban, 66-27 for pelini

• Fire 2

Saban was an established coach who already won a title. That model is the exception not the rule. Lot of failed programs are still kissing ugly frogs.

Im not expecting a national title. But jeebus. We got talent. We got the tools. Like I said. You get a coach that focuses on good sound fundamental football, and we could win 12 games. it's that simple. Especially in this conference.

It's that old addage. We're so close, yet so far away.

• Fire 1

Saban was only at MSU from 95-99 before he was hired at LSU.

Ever wonder why someone isn't hiring Pelini away from Nebraska?

• Fire 1

Have any of you guys taken a look at Saban's record at Michigan state? You would have run him out on a rail!

Not me. Lets take a look:

- First year on the job and he beats

. Bo has only beaten a top 10 team once (MU) in his head coaching career. It took him 3 years.... Saban went 6-5-1 after the previous coach did not win a single game last year. That is a 6 game upswing compared to Pelini's 4 game upswing from 2007-2008. Keep in mind saban had a tougher schedule his first year and bo did.

- Third year on the job and he beats a

. Had a schedule that consisted of 3 top ten teams, making it much stronger than Pelini's current strength of schedule for this 2014 season

- Went 9-2 in his fifth and last year on the job, 1999 season, beating 4 out of 6 RANKED TEAMS. Pelini would not survive 6 ranked teams on his plate in one season. He's already lost all 3 this year. doubt he even has a chance to beat a top 25 team after the minnesota loss unless he beats iowa and gets a better bowl opponent.

- Continuing, in Saban's FIFTH season, (after taking over a MSU team that did not win a single game the previous year), he fielded a better team than Bo has, considering Bo was given seven years and much more resources. The 1999 spartans ended the season with a top ten finish. Bo has never done that

Pelini's career at NU is not as successful as Saban's MSU career when you look past the total wins and losses, 34-24 for saban, 66-27 for pelini

Great post, great way to take down a straw man with facts. +1

Why would Hoke or Dooley mean that?

Just two examples of coaches who failed. I mean it's totally possible our next coach wins 6 games regularly and flames out. But at some point you have to take the risk, right?

I am all for taking the risk at this point. The team is stale and not moving forward, it needs a change.

But, I really don't think everyone realizes that with the change Nebraska could be worse in the future. Too many think we get rid of BP and find our Nick Sabin and bang in 2 years we are in the playoffs.

That could definitely happen, but it is still a long shot.

I'm ready for a change just like 95% of everyone else, but it is a crap shoot.

Some of the same people bitching right now will be doing just as much next year if they are 7-4 at this point next year.

Why would Hoke or Dooley mean that?

Just two examples of coaches who failed. I mean it's totally possible our next coach wins 6 games regularly and flames out. But at some point you have to take the risk, right?

You never know unless you try. I think we have enough data points with Bo to know that we're probably several years away from a conference championship (assuming he'd ever get there). I like the idea of taking the risk.

This was the year for Nebraska to take the BIG championship and we all know the reasons why. Instead we crashed and burned.