11 years ago

Ulty

At the beginning of the week, I felt that Bo was going to be coaching his last game. While that very well may still be the case... As the week went on, the more that I read about the situation, the more I feel that we are keeping Bo and doing a massive staff overhaul.

If that's the case, here are the coaches who HAVE to go:

1) Beck

2) Cotton

3) Garrison

4) Els

5) Papuchis

Priorities going forward:

1. Find a seasoned OC who runs an innovative, effective, SIMPLE offense and knows how to develop a QB. Introduce him to Ron Brown and Rich Fisher and tell him to find 2 assistants that he knows are top hires (1 of which can develop OL talent) and give him the keys to the offense.

2. Hire a new DC who isn't just a yes-man OR stamp the official title of DC on Bo and hire a couple more position coaches that will not be afraid to tell Bo their ideas. One needs to be a LB guru, because our LB play has been subpar for a long time.

3. Adjust the defensive scheme. The way we play the run obviously does not work, and that's been proven several times.

Why would a seasoned staff want to climb aboard the sinking ship?
Why would any head coach if we fire Pelini?
What?
No quality coach would come to a program that fires 9 and 10 win coaches. So again, what quality coach would actually come here if we fire Pelini?

Well we would both have to subjectively define what quality meant. However, I'm sure we would disagree upon that but IMO plenty of "quality" coaches would want to come to Nebraska for a pay raise and a chance to coach a reknown football program with plenty of monetary resources, but I guess we will never know until we try will we...

Well we tried firing a winning coach in 2003. We had power 5 coaches laughing at us for approaching them. Who would honestly come to Nebraska to get fired for winning.

Now if you are too scared to take a risk, then just admit that but don't play it off like you know for a fact no quality coach would come here because you don't know that for a fact (and I know it's hard to believe since it seems like you know everything for a fact)

First of all:

1. I've been pretty consistent that I speak my opinion and try to back it up with stats. Just like everyone here (except for you, you seem to prefer personal attacks)

2. I do this thing called work at a job. If I see a company with high turnover I tend to not apply to work there. I ended up with an awesome job because I avoided sh#t place to work.

Nebraska, if it fire Pelini, becomes a sh#t place to work. It is MY OPINION (made that caps just for you buddy) that we would not attract the best candidates, much like what happened in 2003.

At the beginning of the week, I felt that Bo was going to be coaching his last game. While that very well may still be the case... As the week went on, the more that I read about the situation, the more I feel that we are keeping Bo and doing a massive staff overhaul.

1) Beck

2) Cotton

3) Garrison

4) Els

5) Papuchis

1. Find a seasoned OC who runs an innovative, effective, SIMPLE offense and knows how to develop a QB. Introduce him to Ron Brown and Rich Fisher and tell him to find 2 assistants that he knows are top hires (1 of which can develop OL talent) and give him the keys to the offense.

2. Hire a new DC who isn't just a yes-man OR stamp the official title of DC on Bo and hire a couple more position coaches that will not be afraid to tell Bo their ideas. One needs to be a LB guru, because our LB play has been subpar for a long time.

3. Adjust the defensive scheme. The way we play the run obviously does not work, and that's been proven several times.

What?
No quality coach would come to a program that fires 9 and 10 win coaches. So again, what quality coach would actually come here if we fire Pelini?

Well we would both have to subjectively define what quality meant. However, I'm sure we would disagree upon that but IMO plenty of "quality" coaches would want to come to Nebraska for a pay raise and a chance to coach a reknown football program with plenty of monetary resources, but I guess we will never know until we try will we...

Well we tried firing a winning coach in 2003. We had power 5 coaches laughing at us for approaching them. Who would honestly come to Nebraska to get fired for winning.

Now if you are too scared to take a risk, then just admit that but don't play it off like you know for a fact no quality coach would come here because you don't know that for a fact (and I know it's hard to believe since it seems like you know everything for a fact)

First of all:

1. I've been pretty consistent that I speak my opinion and try to back it up with stats. Just like everyone here (except for you, you seem to prefer personal attacks)

2. I do this thing called work at a job. If I see a company with high turnover I tend to not apply to work there. I ended up with an awesome job because I avoided sh#t place to work.

Nebraska, if it fire Pelini, becomes a sh#t place to work. It is MY OPINION (made that caps just for you buddy) that we would not attract the best candidates, much like what happened in 2003.

Thank you. I appreciate that atleast it is known that it's your opinion, and not an absolute fact. Additionally, your "statistics" consist of borrowing others' research. Furthermore, glad to hear you are employed. While that may true I personally attacked you, I believe you just did to me as well so let's not go crying about it. We are adults. We will move on.

1) Beck

2) Cotton

3) Garrison

4) Els

5) Papuchis

What?

First of all:

Thank you. I appreciate that atleast it is known that it's your opinion, and not an absolute fact. Additionally, your "statistics" consist of borrowing others' research. Furthermore, glad to hear you are employed. While that may true I personally attacked you, I believe you just did to me as well so let's not go crying about it. We are adults. We will move on.

Did you just criticize me for using sources?

seriously, we have been through this, last year.

a coach that gets to lose 4 games a year in an easy conference, who does not have to win anything of meaning, who does not have to improve, who can tell the fans to f#*k themselves, who can call himself a defensive guru and yet field some of the worst defenses in school history, and who can do this for 7 f'ing years.

honestly, why keep bo and who would be afraid to replace him? this team is as bad as it has been under him after he had 7 years for his "process" and to find players that could "execute." i really wonder what quality coach with any self-esteem at all would be afraid to follow in bo's footsteps.

Man oh man. This has to be my favorite post of the day. Very well said.

I'd search for an applause gif if I didn't have DSL with the slowest speed since modems.

• Fire 1

1) Beck

2) Cotton

3) Garrison

4) Els

5) Papuchis

What?
I disagree, Ohio State fires that kind of coach. They've had back-to-back elite coaches.

There's tons of guys that can to better than .360 against ranked opponents. We can't say we want a quality coach - then keep Pelini. If having a quality coach is the goal, the very first thing we have to do is dump him. If having a mediocre coach is the goal, however, then we're already sittin' pretty.

1) Beck

2) Cotton

3) Garrison

4) Els

5) Papuchis

Why not? Run a substandard program, get blown out while setting all time records for piss poor defense, and still get paid millions of dollars per year for seven years ... sign me up.

let's say goodbye to Pelini, and let's look forward to the future.

And end up with another Callahan? No thanks. Let's keep Pelini and keep a stable, winning football program.

Good lord... There are several quality arguments for keeping Pelini (unfortunately not as many as the arguments to get rid of him) but the fear of ending up with another Callahan is NOT one of those quality reasons. That's the stupidest thing you could argue.

Aaron Semm @AaronSemm · Nov 22

After 13 yrs, Ohio State had enuf of 111-43-4, Mr Nine Win, John Cooper, and they moved on. Two years later they were national champs

And Cooper's results were far superior to Bo's

Speaking from a management/ownership position, if I have to tell my supervisor how to do his job and overrule his decisions about personnel under his control, the problem is my supervisor not his reports.

Name one instance, one time, where the AD forcing a coaches hand all of a sudden made that HC better and it was a long term solution. Some of ya'll are delusional if you think forcing changes under Pelini will work. I understand the thought that maybe that's all that will happen but we can hope for more and we don't have to pretend that is a real solution.

I didn't agree with TO forcing BO to keep certain staff and I would not agree with SE making him get rid of anyone.

If as the AD you are making personnel decisions, then it's time to change the Head coach. It's either you agree with the direction of program and the decision making ability of it leader or you don't. If you don't pull the trigger.

People are honestly still peddling the argument that a coach wouldn't want to come here because Bo won nine games and was fired?

Wow.

"Hey, I will pay you $4 million per year to coach kids playing a game. You will be in the top 0.001% of income in the history of the world."

"Sounds fantastic!"

"Oh, but in full disclosure: You will be expected to not get embarrassed multiple times every season by good teams, and you'll have to win the Big 10 championship at least once every 5-7 years."

"Are you $#%*@#* kidding me!? I can't deal with such outrageous expectations! Look elsewhere, you lunatic!"

Well, today is the day, and it closely mirrors Frank Solich's last game as Husker coach as well.

In 2003, we started the season 7-1, but got hammered by the only good teams we played. An embarrassing loss at home to a team that had historically been our bitch dropped us to 8-3 leading to the final game of the season, with wide speculation about Solich's future. Then we go on the road the day after Thanksgiving and win a game that a lot of people didn't really expect us to, but it was not enough to save Solich's job.

I was working in Chicago in 2003 and was not privy to all the Lincoln/Omaha media, but I do recall that after the Kansas State game, a pundit on ESPN radio speculated that it was the final nail in Solich's coffin. At the time I thought "no way."

The sun rises today very much the same. We can beat Iowa, but hopefully the powers that be can see beyond the results of today's single game and realize what it true about the Pelini era. Solich was a good coach, and a popular one, but we weren't going to win any more championships with him. Same with Pelini.

Let's beat Iowa, let's say goodbye to Pelini, and let's look forward to the future.

at least Solich was willing to change some of his staff, hard head will never do that....show him the door.

If Solich had hired a better DC he might still have his job at Nebraska.

Do you really want a head coach, that has to be FORCED to make staff changes. A coach (such as BO) who is currently un-willing to make those changes (which is obvious to all--even those who want to retain BO, want some change in coordinators for the most part). is either:

A; unwilling to properly evaluate the gravity of the situation that necessitates the change

B: too stubborn and proud to make those changes

neither of the above answers are what I would consider to be desirable traits in a head football coach.

Off to watch the game with my father--it will likely be the last game he ever sees as he is in his final days

GBR

I hope you two enjoyed your time together. I have to say that I'm a bit envious that you get to spend time with your dad. I never got to know mine.