Mike Riley's Staff

So I'm assuming he's not coming here:

Mike Riley on @SiriusXMCollege says he would highly recommend defensive coordinator Mark Banker for the head coaching job at Oregon State.

Nice to see him backing his buddy. But it sounded as though he might have been shown his walking papers after this year up at OSU b/c of how bad the defense has been over the last few years. Just what I heard some media people from up there say yesterday. So, hard to see them hiring him as HC. However, it's nice to hear Riley pimping him for it as it seems like a decent sign he will be hiring a different DC for here which I would prefer.

So I'm assuming he's not coming here:

Mike Riley on @SiriusXMCollege says he would highly recommend defensive coordinator Mark Banker for the head coaching job at Oregon State.

With what we're paying Mike, we need to go out and knock the coordinator search into the stratosphere on both sides of the ball. Mike seems plenty clever to have figured out that with the resources at his disposal, and the scope of the operation he's inherited, he has the right––and frankly, the obligation––to delegate responsibilities to the best possible people.

Along those lines, I love the part in his presser where he committed to a special teams coach. Phenomenal idea.

• Fire 1

Coach O is a pretty damn good D-line coach but an even greater recruiter.

O landed those top Miami D players in the early 1990's.

He was the recruiting coordinator at USC and a huge force in landing...

Kenechi Udeze (Defensive End, 2004 First Round Pick)
Jacob Rogers (Offensive Tackle, 2004 Second Round Pick)
Keary Colbert (Wide Receiver, 2004 Second Round Pick)
Mike Williams (Wide Receiver, 2005 First Round Pick)
Mike Patterson (Defensive Tackle, 2005 First Round Pick)
Shaun Cody (Defensive End, 2005 Second Round Pick)
Lofa Tatupu (Linebacker, 2005 Second Round Pick)
Reggie Bush (Running Back, 2006 First Round Pick)
Matt Leinart (Quarterback, 2006 First Round Pick)
Winston Justice (Offensive Tackle, 2006 Second Round Pick)
Deuce Lutui (Offensive Guard, 2006 Second Round Pick)
LenDale White (Running Back, 2006 Second Round Pick)
Frostee Rucker (Defensive End, 2006 Third Round Pick)
Dominique Byrd (Tight End, 2006 Third Round Pick)

Dwayne Jarrett (Wide Receiver, 2007 Second Round Pick)
Steve Smith (Wide Receiver, 2007 Second Round Pick)
Ryan Kalil (Center, 2007 Second Round Pick)
Sedrick Ellis (Defensive Tackle, 2008 First Round Pick)
Keith Rivers (Linebacker, 2008 First Round Pick)
Sam Baker (Offensive Tackle, 2008 First Round Pick)
Lawrence Jackson (Defensive End, 2008 First Round Pick)

Recruiting was still strong at USC after Coach O left in 2004 because of the newly rebuilt brand name but it was never the same.

Whatever little baggage O has - he is worth it. He can transform a down programs recruiting overnight...like he did with USC in 2001 when the program was in a swan song.

He would bring in a dominant D-line full of NFL in waiting studs.

“I’m glad to know that, I suppose,” Riley said with a smile. That’s pretty neat.”

Riley and Orgeron were on the same staff at USC from 1996-98 – Riley as offensive coordinator, Orgeron as defensive line coach. Riley said his relationship with Orgeron is “good, no doubt about that.”

Riley said he likes his staff at Oregon State, but that he wasn’t sure who would follow him to Lincoln, and who wouldn’t.

“I don’t know what’s going to happen at all in that regard," Riley said. "But I’m going to try to open the door a little bit of possibilities, and that (Orgeron) is a good idea.”

Get ready, recruiting geeks.

He'll probably keep most of his staff from OSU.

He's a small town down home loyal guy.

This is how it works in CFB...a HC gets his "guys" who follow him and then the HC feels the need to reward their loyalty.

No no no! We need the best, and although I do not know the OSU staff, I assume they did not have the money or facilities to attract top assistant coaches. Scour the earth, and get the absolute best at every position no matter the cost. I have grown tired of watching inept position coaches walk the sidelines of Tom Osborn field.

This is how it works in CFB...a HC gets his "guys" who follow him and then the HC feels the need to reward their loyalty.

No no no! We need the best, and although I do not know the OSU staff, I assume they did not have the money or facilities to attract top assistant coaches. Scour the earth, and get the absolute best at every position no matter the cost. I have grown tired of watching inept position coaches walk the sidelines of Tom Osborn field.

That WR coach Bret Brennan would be nice to bring over. Coached up Brandin Cooks to a Biletnikoff and the Pac 12 record for Rec Touchdowns and Receptions

If he thinks this is his last gig (given his age) - hell, he could probably always go back to Corvallis...then he might not mind burning some bridges...and maybe some of his guys don't want to move to Nebraska?...and maybe before his hire, there was talk that..."you can't just bring your entire OSU staff here...you are the HC but we want to go after the best."

Ergo his quote about wanting the the best coaches who are better than him.

They might have had that conversation with him...because usually coaches bring their extended family with them.

That WR coach Bret Brennan would be nice to bring over. Coached up Brandin Cooks to a Biletnikoff and the Pac 12 record for Rec Touchdowns and Receptions

I've followed OSU a lot since I use to live in Oregon.

They have always had really good receivers...guys who also over-acheived and really good running backs. Riley has certainly found some gems.