Expectations over the next 5 years

I haven't seen a thread dedicated to this yet, but i wanted to see what peoples expectations are now.

Given Eichorsts press conference and things that were said here are my expectations:

1. Must get to a bowl game every year (next year may be tough sledding, but it is a must given the pile of crap division we are in)

2. Play for and Win a conference title in the next 3 years

3. Be in the playoff once in the next 5 years.

To me this is what Eichorst was referencing when he talked about playing "Championship Caliber" football. The expectations must continue to be high otherwise we just fired a so-so coach to hire another one. If #2 does not happen I think Mike's seat gets very hot. He does not carry the big name cache and previous success that should buy him any more time than that to get it done.

• 11 months later...

As an optimist from the news of the hire and up until several weeks into the season, I was on board. Albeit I wasn't a fan of his decision to bring the majority of his previous staff.

After watching every game and every play, seeing the entire body of work throughout the season, It's apparent to me that we've gone backwards. I don't like any of the decisions Riley made this year as the Head Coach. He had his opportunities and blew them all IMO.

I like the guy, I like the style of football but I'm afraid he's going to have to catch lightning in a bottle to make it past another year.

After watching every game and every play, seeing the entire body of work throughout the season, It's apparent to me that we've gone backwards. I don't like any of the decisions Riley made this year as the Head Coach. He had his opportunities and blew them all IMO.

I would have agreed with this one month ago. But we've looked pretty decent these past three games. Well, except for some of the QB play we saw on Saturday. It seems like the team came together after the debacle that was the Purdue game.

Time to revisit this one year later.

1. Failed

2. Does not look to be possible

3. Laughable.

Where are you at with the expectations you had this time last year?

Completely and totally underwhelmed. I was under the impression that just about anybody could coach this team to 9 wins, given the lackluster division we play in. I was not a fan of the hire at all, however, I thought that because of his experience, we might be a more fundamentally sound football team and that could even equate to a couple more W's. Damn, was I wrong.

We lost to Illinois and Purdue in the same season. I'd say our outlook for the foreseeable is bleak.

I would have agreed with this one month ago. But we've looked pretty decent these past three games. Well, except for some of the QB play we saw on Saturday. It seems like the team came together after the debacle that was the Purdue game.

I agree with you that we became a little more competitive. But I'm referring to the decisions made over the entire season that were much deeper than wins and losses in his first year.

Win 70%+ of games and graduate good student athletes. Hopefully that includes some 10 to 12 win regular seasons.

Run a clean program.

Doing that didnt work well for the last guy. Thankfully Bo's focus on making good students is helping this coach get to a bowl game on 5 wins. Maybe MR should split his $150,000 bonus with Bo since that's the reason we qualify.
  • Fire 1

Time to revisit this one year later.

1. Failed

2. Does not look to be possible

3. Laughable.

Where are you at with the expectations you had this time last year?

Completely and totally underwhelmed. I was under the impression that just about anybody could coach this team to 9 wins, given the lackluster division we play in. I was not a fan of the hire at all, however, I thought that because of his experience, we might be a more fundamentally sound football team and that could even equate to a couple more W's. Damn, was I wrong.

We lost to Illinois and Purdue in the same season. I'd say our outlook for the foreseeable is bleak.

Here here!

Win 70%+ of games and graduate good student athletes. Hopefully that includes some 10 to 12 win regular seasons.

Run a clean program.

Doing that didnt work well for the last guy. Thankfully Bo's focus on making good students is helping this coach get to a bowl game on 5 wins. Maybe MR should split his $150,000 bonus with Bo since that's the reason we qualify.

I keep hoping NU fans will learn their lesson.... maybe a silly hope.

Run a clean program.

I keep hoping NU fans will learn their lesson.... maybe a silly hope.

I'm right there with you.

no bowl game bonus for riley or coaches! I'm still going to give MR 3 total years before i develop an opinion. after that i maybe be hard; it will depend, which way we're trending. I called for osborne's head from the day he got the job until he went for 2 in the miami game in 83. then i tolerated him till 94 when he finally broke thru! many many bonehead calls and bad management issues in those 20yrs. he couldn't win with anything but elite talent. woulda lost again, as he ran frazier too much, and got him hurt. just happened to have a great backup QB.

I hate that this season was a failure because it has re-set our projection for next couple of years. Next year we need a winning season. I think that expectations have been lowered (like it not) because Riley will get a chance to implement his philosophy here. Next year is a transition year, especially at QB. We could see TA, we could see POB. I think we may actually see both. Year 3 and year 4 we have to do something big like play for a conference championship at least. We basically have to wait to see if this experiment will work and unfortunately it feels like it hasn't even started. Said it in many threads...winning cures everything. If we win, it won't matter what style of offense we play. The key playing field right now is recruiting...we need to win in recruiting NOW. So, IMO Riley has to sell all the great things about the school and the program but that what he is going to do will also be great on the football field. Lots of work ahead...we need to find recruits that want to be in on this because the other programs right now can say that they are already at where we want to be. Takes special talent and right recruits.