Expectations over the next 5 years

no bowl game bonus for riley or coaches! I'm still going to give MR 3 total years before i develop an opinion. after that i maybe be hard; it will depend, which way we're trending. I called for osborne's head from the day he got the job until he went for 2 in the miami game in 83. then i tolerated him till 94 when he finally broke thru! many many bonehead calls and bad management issues in those 20yrs. he couldn't win with anything but elite talent. woulda lost again, as he ran frazier too much, and got him hurt. just happened to have a great backup QB.

I guess Riley has no chance, since he will never get the "elite" players that TO only had to hand a jersey to, and tell them to sicam.

I don't know what 20 yrs you watched... ahh never mind.

GBR!!!

Past performance is a predictor of future actions - this is a credit mgmt. 'theory'. It also applies to football. Unless something drastic changes, we can expect the same. MR was a .500 coach before and he will continue to be if he continues wt the same staff, methods, playbook and decision making. If TA is QB next year we can expect another 5-7 or even 4-8 year. He hasn't changed either over this season wt new 'mentors'- expect the same. We needed something drastic to happen to break through the 9 win plateau we were on. MR was chosen to be the catalyst for change - so far it looks like the wrong catalyst. If we have more of the same next year, I think we are fooling ourselves that things will be remarkably better in year 5.

• Fire 2

Win 70%+ of games and graduate good student athletes. Hopefully that includes some 10 to 12 win regular seasons.

Run a clean program.

Doing that didnt work well for the last guy. Thankfully Bo's focus on making good students is helping this coach get to a bowl game on 5 wins. Maybe MR should split his $150,000 bonus with Bo since that's the reason we qualify.

They can say what ever they want about why BP was fired, he was fired because of the way he acted on the sideline, towards his bosses, towards the fan base and media. I was fine with his coaching and was very happy with the academic standards he set as a HC, but that type of personality is exhausting. If you have neve worked with or for someone like that you will never know. I have had a boss like that, it was like walking on egg shells all the time. One minute he was great and the next he would blow up about some stupid insignificant thing.

If BP would have won 70+% of his games and had that type of academic record and a better additude about things, he would still be at Nebraska. He doesn't have to be the nicest guy in the world, he just needs to not be a big dick.

• Fire 2
Fwiw, I think we will make a bowl game this year, so not sure he "failed" point 1.

As far as Mike Riley, he failed to reach 6 wins, which would have been reaching a bowl game by his efforts. Instead, Nebraska reaches a bowl game because the players have done well in school.

Nebraska goes to a bowl IN SPITE OF this coaching staff, not BECAUSE of it.

I guess one could say that Riley helped by winning that fifth game, if one is a "glass half full" guy. I am more of a "It doesn't matter if the glass is half full or half empty, some idiot will just spill it anyways!" :ahhhhhhhh

• Fire 2

Win 70%+ of games and graduate good student athletes. Hopefully that includes some 10 to 12 win regular seasons.

Run a clean program.

Doing that didnt work well for the last guy. Thankfully Bo's focus on making good students is helping this coach get to a bowl game on 5 wins. Maybe MR should split his $150,000 bonus with Bo since that's the reason we qualify.

They can say what ever they want about why BP was fired, he was fired because of the way he acted on the sideline, towards his bosses, towards the fan base and media. I was fine with his coaching and was very happy with the academic standards he set as a HC, but that type of personality is exhausting. If you have neve worked with or for someone like that you will never know. I have had a boss like that, it was like walking on egg shells all the time. One minute he was great and the next he would blow up about some stupid insignificant thing.

If BP would have won 70+% of his games and had that type of academic record and a better additude about things, he would still be at Nebraska. He doesn't have to be the nicest guy in the world, he just needs to not be a big dick.

We had a nice winner with Frank and ran him out of town, too.

Nebraska fans need to fix themselves.

I haven't lowered my expectations for the program, but I have put them on hold until a new coaching staff is brought to Lincoln.

Riley is what he is, I'll expect more of the same for the next 1 or 2 years.

I know what I expect and I kind of having a feeling what will really happen.

Care to share?

I agree with CM, we need to check ourselves.

Well, over time and with the right personnel--namely @ the QB position--it appears Riley et al will have the Huskers looking like Stanford or Sparty--pro sets, pro QB, more physical, etc. I don't have a problem with this, most teams are running a mix of pro and spread sets these days. This year we had some real problems with a lackluster running game and the subsequent shouldering of the O on TA's arm. Well, what was it, 21 INTs(?) later, we're looking at 7 losses.

As always, recruiting needs to continue to improve. I don't see our recruiting improving much under Riley and hopefully it won't fall off. Probably will stay about the same. I just don't see the big selling point of playing for Mike Riley at Nebraska.

I'm not particularly sold on Riley in terms of consistency, that is, sustained winning or the ability to light a consistent fire(or any fire) under the players. I'm still puzzled how such a "vanilla" guy can get a team fired up and I'd love to see some footage of a Riley pregame "pep" talk.

I dunno, lol, seriously, I don't see this crew getting us much beyond the 9 win threshold even on as regular a basis of the previous staff. I'm not convinced we'll see 10 wins with this staff anytime soon. I think we'll gravitate around 8-9 wins per under this coaching staff, with some 6-7 win seasons mixed in.

IOW, Eichorst's goal in this hire was to "make Nebraska great again" and I don't think it's going to happen under this staff.

I can't for the life of me, figure out why Eich didn't do after McElwain or Fuente, or even Tom Herman. Ugh.

I haven't lowered my expectations for the program, but I have put them on hold until a new coaching staff is brought to Lincoln.

Riley is what he is, I'll expect more of the same for the next 1 or 2 years.

I know what I expect and I kind of having a feeling what will really happen.

Care to share?

I agree with CM, we need to check ourselves.

I think that over the next 5 years (not counting this season) NU will be like what Oregon State was for the years Riley was there...lows (like this year) and highs of 9 - 10 wins...that is it. I just think that is who he is and how he will recruit...

I think during that 5 years he will be gone...I think the soonest it will be is in two more seasons.

I think next year they start a true freshmen QB (that will cause issues in the locker room for some people) and I think they will struggle to win 7 wins (I think the Vegas O/U will come out at 7 wins)

I think that starting a true freshmen will buy him 1 more year...That season will be the make or break year.

• Fire 1

I personally have leeway to give for next season still if there's another .500 year. I will by no means by happy or fully accepting of it, but, I could see it happening and I could see Riley still keeping his job.

I think the future and expectations hinge almost entirely on POB. I know that doesn't sound fair on the surface, but that's exactly who these coaches want to run their offense. If he's not ready to go by 2016 then he will be expected to go by 2017. If he's still not ready, or he is and this team is still floating around .500, I think Riley will be on his way out the door.

Given that things do go forward in an upward trend, the expectation should be competing for a conference title in the next 3-4 years.

We had a nice winner with Frank and ran him out of town, too.

Nebraska fans need to fix themselves.

What fans need to fix themselves? Didn’t Steve Pederson run Solich out of town? Bo Pelini got himself fired more than some average joe Husker fan got him fired. Are the fans that are calling for Riley’s head included in this group that needs to “fix themselves”?

My expectations for this team and program haven’t changed for years. But at the end of the day my expectations don’t mean jack squat to the coaches and players on the field AND THEY SHOULDN’T.

My expectations are for the Huskers to win 9-13 games every year, to be at the top of their division, to play for conference championships and to play in top tier bowls. But they are MY expectations and if the team doesn’t met MY expectations, BIG FLIPPING DEAL!!!!! I have no pull, I have no say in who coaches or plays. To say the fans need to “fix themselves” because of their expectations is ridiculous.

• Fire 1