Expectations over the next 5 years

Anyone who think Iowa is elite should look at their four year running average. They lucked out win a favorable schedule and a Riley coached Nebraska. It's not surprising they put together a good single season. But hardly elite.

No one said Iowa was elite. That's a connection you drew yourself that I doubt anyone would argue against.

Anyone who think Iowa is elite should look at their four year running average. They lucked out win a favorable schedule and a Riley coached Nebraska. It's not surprising they put together a good single season. But hardly elite.

Really? Riley bashing again when it was clear the game plan would have beat IOWA if not for an incompetent quarterback. The same one that lost the Illinois game

Really? Riley bashing again when it was clear the game plan would have beat IOWA if not for an incompetent quarterback. The same one that lost the Illinois game

17-5 as a starter before this year.

Smoke and mirrors

Heck, I wish we would keep using those smoke and mirrors!

How about we start to trend into something of substance

If you had your way, we'd bring back Callahan.

I thought he should have been given longer. He had a top 5 recruiting class coming in. { Which Bo lost most of.} Riley came in a saved nearly 100% of the class.

Smoke and mirrors

I thought he should have been given longer. He had a top 5 recruiting class coming in. { Which Bo lost most of.} Riley came in a saved nearly 100% of the class.

This isn't even remotely true.

It's one thing to have outlandish opinions. But to outright lie? Why?

Smoke and mirrors

You should probably check the expiration date that eggnog you've been drinking.

Smoke and mirrors

Yeah but Bo and hist staff sucked at recruiting and as you said Bo brought in horrible players so why would Riley want to save the class and why would would be happy about that?

• Fire 1

Smoke and mirrors

Yeah but Bo and hist staff sucked at recruiting and as you said Bo brought in horrible players so why would Riley want to save the class and why would would be happy about that?

popcorn-blank.gif

I do find it amusing when people attack me on the issue of me not understanding the offenses.

There are plenty of examples, but statements like the one below make hard to believe you understand the game of football at all.

Matt Ryan is considered by many to be a great QB, even elite. Did anyone else see throw he make directly to Lavonte David with less than 2 min to play?

These WCO/pro style passing systems are tough, even for the professionals.

I think the WCO has more upside when it can be run properly. I think limitations at the college level prevent that.

Why do you think most dynamic offenses at the college level have moved away from WCO principles?

The best teams in college football have both good offenses and good defenses.

Those good offenses run the ball well and pass the ball well, and don't have to rely on a single facet or "one thing they do well" when the opposing defense makes adjustments.

These good offenses will run more if you let them. With less parity in college, a dominant offensive line lets you run the ball more than in the NFL.

Against better defenses, a good college offense will pass a bit more. But they will lower the risk of the passing game with a high percentage short game that spreads the field with RB screens, sideline curls, and quick crossing patterns to the tight end. Every now and then they test the tightening defense with a deep throw. If they get a defense on its heels in the fourth quarter, the between the tackles running game can bust open, too.

40 years ago, a good college quarterback completed 50% of his passes and lived with a 50/50 TD/INT ratio. Today good college quarterbacks regularly complete 65% of their passes and interceptions are way down. It's the same pattern throughout the NFL. And high school football, too. High percentage, ball control offense. What's not to love?

That IS the legacy of WCO principles. It's very much alive. Even with teams that run the ball. You just have to understand the game of football. If you see a team indiscriminately flinging deep passes, they aren't playing WCO.

Saying Matt Ryan threw an interception thus proving that passing is scary is among the stupidest things ever written on this board.