A Little Venting On Riley Hire

ajt1970

^^ that was my first visit to Iowa- what a play by Crouch. Would be nice to see Qb's doing that again, but risk/reward too great with a 45% or greater (plays from scrimmage) passing type offense... One point coach said that caught my attention at presser was "smorgasbord offense". The Swedish Chef from the Muppets specialized in that stuff. Coach will gain additional trust as soon as his full coaching staff is assembled and start hitting some HRs with recruits. I seriously believe we will approve upon our current ranking of recruiting class.

My issues with the Riley hire.....

- It has been mentioned repeatedly in the press that Riley did more with less at OSU. That he had little resources but was an overachiever in recruiting, developing talent, etc. But in thinking about it, there are plenty of examples (both years back and also within the last 15 years or so) of less resourceful schools building themselves up to be winners. TCU, Boise State, Baylor, Mississippi, Miss. State, Michigan State, Utah, Minnesota, Kansas State, Missouri, Colorado (Mccartney era), and even Bob Devaney , turning around NU in the first year! No excuses, these non-powerhouses-at-one-time schools hired the right people and MADE themselves into winners, even without vast resources. So I cannot buy into the fact that OSU did not, and could not obtain, the resources to win. Especially since Riley was there over a longer period of time, plenty of time to at least get the ball rolling. Does anyone really think TCU had the resources a decade or two ago? I doubt it. They hired the right coach and made no excuses and won, period. Look at Bill Snyder when he first got there....KSU was pathetic! Many a program has been turned around with the right coach. So I am not buying it when it is said Riley could not win championships at OSU due to lack of resources. Winners get it done.

- Honeymoon stage is alive and well in Lincoln. I live in Michigan, about 40 minutes from Ann Arbor. Brady Hoke was a media favorite 4 years ago, a real down-to-earth friendly guy, easy for the media to talk to. Eventually though he didn’t get it done and most couldn’t wait to get rid of that non-headset wearing (don’t get me started on that) hand clapping cheerleader at the end.

- Riley’s Offense – Right up front, I am power football all the way. I look at NU’s offense in the 80’s and 90’s and can only hope we get back there some day. FB traps, counter treys, speed/dive/G belly options, inside zone, outside stretch, 41/49 pitch, QB draws, etc. Smashmouth, run them over. I look at Wisconsin and Minnesota and see similar ways of running and am completely jealous. Georgia Tech, too. The old days Osborne QBs weren’t prima donnas either. They were expected to not just drop back and gunsling the ball downfield. They ran the ball (and no sliding or running out of bounds). They blocked. They threw an interception they were expected to tackle the defender. They were tough. They had to be. Osborne would not allow anything less. Now these pass happy QBs (think Peyton manning types) think football is dropping back and throwing it all day. Not what football was meant to be. It’s 11-on-11. With a prima donna QB it is 10-on-11. And I have the feeling Riley’s offenses will indeed be run by one of these prima donna don’t-get-your-fingers-dirty-type QBs, which is a sad disappointment.

- Don’t get me wrong, I was in favor of Pelini’s dismissal (the embarrassing losses were the tipping point for me), but I think Eichorst went WAY overboard in his search to find a “nice guy” Bo Pelini-opposite.....and ended up with Riley. Nothing against Riley personally. I can certainly appreciate his personality, reminds me a lot of Osborne. And I know dealing with Riley will make those in the media’s jobs much easier and less of a headache than with Pelini. But I just personally don’t see NU getting to consistent championships, and getting there by doing it the Nebraska way of rolling up your sleeves and grinding it out, 11-on-11 running the ball offenses with Riley. Maybe I’ll be wrong, but I have a feeling in a few years we’ll be having a Brady Hoke ending where the nice guy persona just doesn’t cut it anymore.

- I was with it all the way with a Scott Frost hire. There ARE 40 year old first time coordinators who were given the keys to a big time program and succeeded, Osborne being one of them. At least Frost, I think, would appreciate the grit and toughness a QB needs because he was indeed one of them. Probably the toughest, in my opinion. And he could RUN an option...the best in NU’s history, I feel.

Anyways, that’s it for now. I just had to get some of these issues and concerns of mine off my chest. I wish NU all the best and hope they can win national championships. I will continue following them either way as I have for the last 30+ years since I was a kid. But I really REALLY hope Riley runs the ball considerably more than he did at OSU. And I think plenty of NU fans would like to see the grind it out smashmouth as well. We’ll see.

- It has been mentioned repeatedly in the press that Riley did more with less at OSU. That he had little resources but was an overachiever in recruiting, developing talent, etc. But in thinking about it, there are plenty of examples (both years back and also within the last 15 years or so) of less resourceful schools building themselves up to be winners. TCU, Boise State, Baylor, Mississippi, Miss. State, Michigan State, Utah, Minnesota, Kansas State, Missouri, Colorado (Mccartney era), and even Bob Devaney , turning around NU in the first year! No excuses, these non-powerhouses-at-one-time schools hired the right people and MADE themselves into winners, even without vast resources. So I cannot buy into the fact that OSU did not, and could not obtain, the resources to win. Especially since Riley was there over a longer period of time, plenty of time to at least get the ball rolling. Does anyone really think TCU had the resources a decade or two ago? I doubt it. They hired the right coach and made no excuses and won, period. Look at Bill Snyder when he first got there....KSU was pathetic! Many a program has been turned around with the right coach. So I am not buying it when it is said Riley could not win championships at OSU due to lack of resources. Winners get it done.

- Honeymoon stage is alive and well in Lincoln. I live in Michigan, about 40 minutes from Ann Arbor. Brady Hoke was a media favorite 4 years ago, a real down-to-earth friendly guy, easy for the media to talk to. Eventually though he didn’t get it done and most couldn’t wait to get rid of that non-headset wearing (don’t get me started on that) hand clapping cheerleader at the end.

- Riley’s Offense – Right up front, I am power football all the way. I look at NU’s offense in the 80’s and 90’s and can only hope we get back there some day. FB traps, counter treys, speed/dive/G belly options, inside zone, outside stretch, 41/49 pitch, QB draws, etc. Smashmouth, run them over. I look at Wisconsin and Minnesota and see similar ways of running and am completely jealous. Georgia Tech, too. The old days Osborne QBs weren’t prima donnas either. They were expected to not just drop back and gunsling the ball downfield. They ran the ball (and no sliding or running out of bounds). They blocked. They threw an interception they were expected to tackle the defender. They were tough. They had to be. Osborne would not allow anything less. Now these pass happy QBs (think Peyton manning types) think football is dropping back and throwing it all day. Not what football was meant to be. It’s 11-on-11. With a prima donna QB it is 10-on-11. And I have the feeling Riley’s offenses will indeed be run by one of these prima donna don’t-get-your-fingers-dirty-type QBs, which is a sad disappointment.

- Don’t get me wrong, I was in favor of Pelini’s dismissal (the embarrassing losses were the tipping point for me), but I think Eichorst went WAY overboard in his search to find a “nice guy” Bo Pelini-opposite.....and ended up with Riley. Nothing against Riley personally. I can certainly appreciate his personality, reminds me a lot of Osborne. And I know dealing with Riley will make those in the media’s jobs much easier and less of a headache than with Pelini. But I just personally don’t see NU getting to consistent championships, and getting there by doing it the Nebraska way of rolling up your sleeves and grinding it out, 11-on-11 running the ball offenses with Riley. Maybe I’ll be wrong, but I have a feeling in a few years we’ll be having a Brady Hoke ending where the nice guy persona just doesn’t cut it anymore.

- I was with it all the way with a Scott Frost hire. There ARE 40 year old first time coordinators who were given the keys to a big time program and succeeded, Osborne being one of them. At least Frost, I think, would appreciate the grit and toughness a QB needs because he was indeed one of them. Probably the toughest, in my opinion. And he could RUN an option...the best in NU’s history, I feel.

Anyways, that’s it for now. I just had to get some of these issues and concerns of mine off my chest. I wish NU all the best and hope they can win national championships. I will continue following them either way as I have for the last 30+ years since I was a kid. But I really REALLY hope Riley runs the ball considerably more than he did at OSU. And I think plenty of NU fans would like to see the grind it out smashmouth as well. We’ll see.

not sure i understand. Could you elaborate please?
  • Fire 1

Several disagreements.

1) Complaining about Riley being a nice guy is non-sense. He shouldn't be punished for being a good representative of your university, more to the point who criticizes someone for being a good person?

2) If the power 5 coaches rate him right with Cutcliff as the most underrated, explain how you are qualified to critique his ability more than those guys. At what point is there a professional parallel between Brady Hoke and Mike Riley. Mike Riley has taken bottom feeder programs at every level and still been held in high esteem by his peers. He's won big games and made the OSU program respectable. Did Hoke do this at Michigan?

3) Mike Riley has already stated, repeatedly, that he will play to the strengths of his team. Sorry, Nebraska is not equipped at this point to be a passing team. Check out his understudy, Paul Chryst. As OC at UW Chryst had among the most explosive and highest scoring offenses in the country. At Pitt, like Bielema at Ark, Chryst is laying the foundation by running the ball, not throwing it. Chryst spent his early years with.....Mike Riley.

4) Football is changing, participation rates are way down all across the country. Nebraska, Michigan, Texas, Florida, Miami, USC and others are finding it more difficult to succeed without their two deeps stacked with 5 stars. You know how you solve that problem?you get the smartest guy who is the best teacher of football and hire him. Eichorst accomplished this.

5) Nebraska needs to throw in this era to be good. I am a firm believer in FB's and TE's, it makes the run more powerful and the pass game more diverse/efficient. Riley will do this, Paul Chryst does/did this. 20-25 passes a game is all you need if you are efficient. UW has proven you can throw that many times and still rush for 350 yards a game if you do it right....and bloody your opponents nose in the process.

6) I have a deep respect for Nebraska's tradition but as a Badger fan, I have to say, no one is going to be knocking doors down to go to Nebraska any more than they are Florida, Miami, Michigan, USC and others that have failed to adjust their perception of how the football program needs to be re-tooled. Its not a volume/talent game any more. The teachers with resources win - those with just resources and tradition lose.

• Fire 2

What do we really need here at Nebraska right now?

>Change of national perception: I think one of the biggest areas of concern is national perception. Even if Pelini would've started winning games, there is still that perception of him yelling at people on the sidelines, yelling at Refs, it was ridiculous and embarrassing. Mike RIley has the same kind of laid back personality that TO had. To get the healing started here in our state is going to be huge so from that vantage point I like what I see and hear about Riley.

>His age bothers me but sometimes people get rejuvenated when they are given a new challenge.

>Coaching Staff: I loved hearing him say that he likes to surround himself with people who are better than he is. Considering who have been our assistant coaches THAT is uber encouraging.

>Player Development: From what I've read-this is his gift. He has developed players that we see on Sundays. But he also develops young men. Bo did that too but I think given this man's experience he will do it better.

>Pro-Style Play: Hmmm. Well, he did mention playing power football. I'm ok with passing the ball IF we have a quarterback that can do that. No offense to TA but he ain't that guy. I want to see what this Stanton kid can do. Riley wanted this kid badly so let's see what he can do but also what Riley can teach Tommy.

>Uniting the Fan Base: Let's face it-Husker Nation is a mess. Perhaps Riley can be that uniting factor. I really enjoyed reading the letter he sent to the former players. He's almost like a balm to a hurting fan base.

Good points from the OP. I think we're all a little shaky here but being an eternal sunshine pumper I say let's give this guy a chance. If he falls on his face we will pick up the pieces and move on but I think he's going to be successful and I want to be part of that success. GBR!

Good post Ladyhawke.

Several disagreements.

1) Complaining about Riley being a nice guy is non-sense. He shouldn't be punished for being a good representative of your university, more to the point who criticizes someone for being a good person?

2) If the power 5 coaches rate him right with Cutcliff as the most underrated, explain how you are qualified to critique his ability more than those guys. At what point is there a professional parallel between Brady Hoke and Mike Riley. Mike Riley has taken bottom feeder programs at every level and still been held in high esteem by his peers. He's won big games and made the OSU program respectable. Did Hoke do this at Michigan?

3) Mike Riley has already stated, repeatedly, that he will play to the strengths of his team. Sorry, Nebraska is not equipped at this point to be a passing team. Check out his understudy, Paul Chryst. As OC at UW Chryst had among the most explosive and highest scoring offenses in the country. At Pitt, like Bielema at Ark, Chryst is laying the foundation by running the ball, not throwing it. Chryst spent his early years with.....Mike Riley.

4) Football is changing, participation rates are way down all across the country. Nebraska, Michigan, Texas, Florida, Miami, USC and others are finding it more difficult to succeed without their two deeps stacked with 5 stars. You know how you solve that problem?you get the smartest guy who is the best teacher of football and hire him. Eichorst accomplished this.

5) Nebraska needs to throw in this era to be good. I am a firm believer in FB's and TE's, it makes the run more powerful and the pass game more diverse/efficient. Riley will do this, Paul Chryst does/did this. 20-25 passes a game is all you need if you are efficient. UW has proven you can throw that many times and still rush for 350 yards a game if you do it right....and bloody your opponents nose in the process.

6) I have a deep respect for Nebraska's tradition but as a Badger fan, I have to say, no one is going to be knocking doors down to go to Nebraska any more than they are Florida, Miami, Michigan, USC and others that have failed to adjust their perception of how the football program needs to be re-tooled. Its not a volume/talent game any more. The teachers with resources win - those with just resources and tradition lose.

Excellent.

>Change of national perception: I think one of the biggest areas of concern is national perception. Even if Pelini would've started winning games, there is still that perception of him yelling at people on the sidelines, yelling at Refs, it was ridiculous and embarrassing. Mike RIley has the same kind of laid back personality that TO had. To get the healing started here in our state is going to be huge so from that vantage point I like what I see and hear about Riley.

>His age bothers me but sometimes people get rejuvenated when they are given a new challenge.

>Coaching Staff: I loved hearing him say that he likes to surround himself with people who are better than he is. Considering who have been our assistant coaches THAT is uber encouraging.

>Player Development: From what I've read-this is his gift. He has developed players that we see on Sundays. But he also develops young men. Bo did that too but I think given this man's experience he will do it better.

>Pro-Style Play: Hmmm. Well, he did mention playing power football. I'm ok with passing the ball IF we have a quarterback that can do that. No offense to TA but he ain't that guy. I want to see what this Stanton kid can do. Riley wanted this kid badly so let's see what he can do but also what Riley can teach Tommy.

>Uniting the Fan Base: Let's face it-Husker Nation is a mess. Perhaps Riley can be that uniting factor. I really enjoyed reading the letter he sent to the former players. He's almost like a balm to a hurting fan base.

Good points from the OP. I think we're all a little shaky here but being an eternal sunshine pumper I say let's give this guy a chance. If he falls on his face we will pick up the pieces and move on but I think he's going to be successful and I want to be part of that success. GBR!

Good post Ladyhawke.

All good points LH. +1. As far at the pro style offense, Riley also said he'd tailor his schemes to suit his players strengths. Pro style isn't on our roster right now. So I'd be surprised if we end up headed in that direction next fall.

"- I was with it all the way with a Scott Frost hire. There ARE 40 year old first time coordinators who were given the keys to a big time program and succeeded, Osborne being one of them. At least Frost, I think, would appreciate the grit and toughness a QB needs because he was indeed one of them. Probably the toughest, in my opinion. And he could RUN an option...the best in NU’s history, I feel."

So where were you in '93, '94, '95?

T_O_B

Completely agree on KSU, Boise St, and Utah program. Similar situations to OSU. The others I don't think are good comparisons. Certainly not valid comparing Devaneys era with today, or McCartneys. Michigan St has more resources. TCU and Baylor reside in a recruiting Mecca with UT down. Same deal with Mississippi teams. Missouri is and has been pretty Jeckyl and Hyde since Pinkel arrived. Minnesota has had reasonable success although I would argue their record would be similar to OSU's if they were in the PAC 12.

- Rileys Offense Right up front, I am power football all the way. I look at NUs offense in the 80s and 90s and can only hope we get back there some day. FB traps, counter treys, speed/dive/G belly options, inside zone, outside stretch, 41/49 pitch, QB draws, etc. Smashmouth, run them over. I look at Wisconsin and Minnesota and see similar ways of running and am completely jealous. Georgia Tech, too. The old days Osborne QBs werent prima donnas either. They were expected to not just drop back and gunsling the ball downfield. They ran the ball (and no sliding or running out of bounds). They blocked. They threw an interception they were expected to tackle the defender. They were tough. They had to be. Osborne would not allow anything less. Now these pass happy QBs (think Peyton manning types) think football is dropping back and throwing it all day. Not what football was meant to be. Its 11-on-11. With a prima donna QB it is 10-on-11. And I have the feeling Rileys offenses will indeed be run by one of these prima donna dont-get-your-fingers-dirty-type QBs, which is a sad disappointment.

I understand the desire to harken back to the good ol days and the ad nauseum repeated 'smash mouth football', but the real problem isn't that we don't have a fullback. It's not that we have prima Donna quarterbacks (I wouldn't mind a 'Peyton Manning' type QB by the way, for obvious reasons)....the problem is and has been the lack of any succinct identity. Alabama doesn't run the option. They do throw quite a bit too. But they have an identity. They do something and they do it well. That's what Riley claims to be about and I like that.

- Dont get me wrong, I was in favor of Pelinis dismissal (the embarrassing losses were the tipping point for me), but I think Eichorst went WAY overboard in his search to find a nice guy Bo Pelini-opposite.....and ended up with Riley. Nothing against Riley personally. I can certainly appreciate his personality, reminds me a lot of Osborne. And I know dealing with Riley will make those in the medias jobs much easier and less of a headache than with Pelini. But I just personally dont see NU getting to consistent championships, and getting there by doing it the Nebraska way of rolling up your sleeves and grinding it out, 11-on-11 running the ball offenses with Riley. Maybe Ill be wrong, but I have a feeling in a few years well be having a Brady Hoke ending where the nice guy persona just doesnt cut it anymore.

I'm utterly confused by your point here. Osborne was a nice guy who had tough football teams, but Riley being a nice guy precludes us from being tough?

- I was with it all the way with a Scott Frost hire. There ARE 40 year old first time coordinators who were given the keys to a big time program and succeeded, Osborne being one of them. At least Frost, I think, would appreciate the grit and toughness a QB needs because he was indeed one of them. Probably the toughest, in my opinion. And he could RUN an option...the best in NUs history, I feel.

Yes Frost was a good QB for us awhile back. He was tough. You know who else was tough and played for us? Tommie Frazier. Grant Wistrom. Mike Rucker. Barron Miles. Etc. Should we bring them here for an interview?

Not sure if you know this, but Frost would be hired based on the offense he has deployed at Oregon. Which is not exactly of the 'grind it out' variety you seem to want. So once again..I'm a bit confused about why this hire would meet your criteria.

I wish NU all the best and hope they can win national championships.

We can agree here

I have mixed emotions with Riley. I want to be optimistic but when I look at his past games it only confuses me more.

It really depends on who is on his staff and like he said, he wants people more smart than he is at certain positions which is already an improvement from Bo. Nebraska isn't only more attractive than OSU for recruits but for top coaches and coordinators as well, hopefully Riley takes advantage of that.

Good post Ladyhawke.

All good points LH. +1. As far at the pro style offense, Riley also said he'd tailor his schemes to suit his players strengths. Pro style isn't on our roster right now. So I'd be surprised if we end up headed in that direction next fall.

Agree almost 100% LH but I sometimes TA gets a bad rap. I think a lot of his problems were caused by the coaching and play calling of Beck. I also thought KB dropped too many balls that he should have caught.

T_O_B

But in thinking about it, there are plenty of examples (both years back and also within the last 15 years or so) of less resourceful schools building themselves up to be winners. TCU, Boise State, Baylor, Mississippi, Miss. State, Michigan State, Utah, Minnesota, Kansas State, Missouri, Colorado (Mccartney era), and even Bob Devaney , turning around NU in the first year!

Not less resourceful than OSU.

Corvallis is the biggest cowtown if you have ever seen one. Boise is far bigger and more happening and has a real stadium.

Until just recently, the Reser Stadium was the most glorified high school stadium in Div 1 football.

You have no idea what you are talking about. I lived in Oregon.

Utah, Boise, TCU?

Good god man, those schools are like FSU and Alabama committed to football compared to Oregon State.

But in thinking about it, there are plenty of examples (both years back and also within the last 15 years or so) of less resourceful schools building themselves up to be winners. TCU, Boise State, Baylor, Mississippi, Miss. State, Michigan State, Utah, Minnesota, Kansas State, Missouri, Colorado (Mccartney era), and even Bob Devaney , turning around NU in the first year!

Not less resourceful than OSU.

Corvallis is the biggest cowtown if you have ever seen one. Boise is far bigger and more happening and has a real stadium.

Until just recently, the Reser Stadium was the most glorified high school stadium in Div 1 football.

You have no idea what you are talking about. I lived in Oregon.

Utah, Boise, TCU?

Good god man, those schools are like FSU and Alabama committed to football compared to Oregon State.

Boise St also played in a weak conference. Were their teams solid? Yes. Would the get a taste of reality in a power 5 conference? Darn right they wouldn't have had the success they put together.