Disappointed with all the negativity

Beemer13

Beemer, Trost:

Welcome to the board. I'm glad you chose Huskerboard as a place for discussion. There's a lot of different personalities here, but it all works together pretty well and we're very user driven. It's not just one or two people posting everything and everyone else responding to it (alba another site which shall remain nameless) but everyone is welcome to share opinions and create discussions as they fit. Honestly, we get news as fast if not faster than the pay sites, which seem ridiculous to me anyway, and the mods do a great job cleaning up the garbage.

Certain posters can get somewhat snarky at times. Some are more open to debate, others it would be best to ignore. But the mods usually do pretty well weeding out the trolls, too. ;)

Welcome again! Always good to meet the new folk.

• Fire 2

Beemer, Trost:

Welcome to the board. I'm glad you chose Huskerboard as a place for discussion. There's a lot of different personalities here, but it all works together pretty well and we're very user driven. It's not just one or two people posting everything and everyone else responding to it (alba another site which shall remain nameless) but everyone is welcome to share opinions and create discussions as they fit. Honestly, we get news as fast if not faster than the pay sites, which seem ridiculous to me anyway, and the mods do a great job cleaning up the garbage.

Certain posters can get somewhat snarky at times. Some are more open to debate, others it would be best to ignore. But the mods usually do pretty well weeding out the trolls, too. ;)

Welcome again! Always good to meet the new folk.

Thank you Dude! This is a very cool board, I've think I've found a new home. I like your signature. I've been playing with some of the profile settings too. GBR!

I am a Nebraska Cornhusker Fan, like all of you. I am 40 years old, so I wasn't around for most of the Devaney era. I grew up watching the Huskers win, and watching Tom Osborne on the sidelines. This is what I know about being a fan. You cheer for your team, you applaud your opponents and you welcome their fans at your tailgate. You show pride in the program and players because we are run clean and consistently churn out educated and equipped young men. You comiserate with other Husker fans, win or lose, and you always, always speak intelligently about college football in general. Heres what I don't know. WTF happened to that??? All the negativity surrounding the new coach, the players, the Administration, all the angst and downright rude and classless posts I've seen overy the last few days from supposed Husker fans, it sickens me!

There will always be those unhappy with the team on the field or the sidelines or the happenings in South Stadium. But I feel like a lot of our so-called fans need to be reminded of how Nebraska fans behave. We conduct ourselves with dignity, respect and pride. Nebraska tradition is not just about winning and titles, it is about a great fanbase as well. Fans that sell out every home game, travel to away games and bowl games, treat others with respect and take deep pride in that. Nebraska fans are known as the greatest fans in college football. I wish we would act like it.

Please take a moment to consider this before you post that comment about how our new coaching staff will fail, about how the adminitiation should all be fired or about how we are going to suck in the next 5 years. At the end of the day the team plays for us, the recruits come for the fans and atmosphere and to be part of something special. Please don't ruin that for the rest of us!

You've mistaken negativity for apathy...

• Fire 1

I'm not surprised at the negative comments. The state was about 50/50 on whether Bo should have been canned. So forgive us for not blindly following Eichorst and Perlman down an unknown path. Come football season, I'm sure there will be much excitement when the new staff gets in place and practice resumes.

Now it's like football has fallen off the map at NU. The years teams that we cheered pretty dam hard for is preparing for a bowl game and all we get are approved messages crafted from the administration regarding bowl prep.

I think the reasoned skepticism is fair.

What I find suspect is the (very small, very vocal) minority that's made it their mission to attempt to stir up angst against the Riley hire. There are people who are just plain upset that Bo was fired and would only consider it justice if Riley faces the same year-7 wrath Bo did from Husker fans for not performing immediately.

Hey, there's nothing wrong with thinking Bo shouldn't have been fired, and having different opinions forms the basis of good discussion -- but trolling is going to get a pretty predictable, pretty negative response.

I think the reasoned skepticism is fair.

What I find suspect is the (very small, very vocal) minority that's made it their mission to attempt to stir up angst against the Riley hire. There are people who are just plain upset that Bo was fired and would only consider it justice if Riley faces the same year-7 wrath Bo did from Husker fans for not performing immediately.

Hey, there's nothing wrong with thinking Bo shouldn't have been fired, and having different opinions forms the basis of good discussion -- but trolling is going to get a pretty predictable, pretty negative response.

tumblr_m9ycg80exk1qjczh3o1_500.gif

At any rate, thank you for your comments and for following this thread.

Ya don't feel bad, I was in your shoes a year ago. I would read comments all the time of people and loved their opinions, Just to get hammered as a newb and felt unwelcomed. Usually by people whose opinions you respect the most which was worse. Word of advice tho, don't EVER misspell words, use improper spelling/punctuation, or let your phone auto correct words wrong, because you will get hammered.That is why i read EVERYDAY for over 2 years but keep too myself! GBR!!

I'm new to the board, too, but I figured this board was like most in that most of the pessimism would come from the very vocal minority when compared to the entire Husker fan base. I grew up in Texas and started following the Huskers when I found out that my second cousin was playing in the '84 Orange Bowl. He and the rest of the team became my heroes that night (I was 10) and I've been a loyal fan for 31 years now. At that time, I didn't know anything about the reputation all of you had around the country.

Having learned all of that over the years through great times and rough ones, I take great pride in being a Husker fan and in what we are all about. We love winning and doing it right...and I think that's what Eichorst had in mind when he hired Mike Riley. I'm gonna be as critical as everyone else if there's a reason to be, but I expect him to put Nebraska in its rightful place as one of the most respected programs in all of sports, both on and off the field. GBR!

• Fire 1

It shouldn't have to be stated but the negativity is ugly, counter productive, and completely contrary to the 'Nebraska Way'.

There is a huge upgrade in coaching talent of Riley's crew over that of Bo's crew.

NU fans were sold on a false premise and delusions of grandeur - we are all guilty. Reality says there was never anyone else in play yet we all wanted to believe that if it wasn't Tressel, it'd be Patterson, if not him then someone else from a common list of A-list names.

Well the reality of it Riley gives us what we are looking for in terms of both coaching ability as well as national respect and attention.

A poster on HuskerMax wrote a great post on the issue of Riley's coaching strategy and philosophy. It should be mandatory reading for ALL fans. I will post the link (if that is allowed). If that isn't allowed, I apologize (I am new here) and you'll have to find the post yourself. It is titled "Mike Riley Nike Coach of the Year Clinic Talk (2013)". Its worth the time to read and it should answer any fan's fear of Riley and where he will take NU: http://forum.huskermax.com/vbbs/showthread.php?69099-Mike-Riley-Nike-Coach-of-the-Year-Clinic-Talk-(2013)

Hopefully, the negative fans get it out of their systems, see the big picture, and give 100% support from Springball on...

That sounds great, hope we can do all that.........still don't get why the obsession with positive and negative fans? Our attitude will follow what we see on the field. Do you think we should keep a positive attitude if we lose 3 of the first 6 games? Do you think my attitude will cause us to win all those games? We didn't hire the guy, had nothing to do with the decision.....why is our attitude so important? Personally I like the guy and it sounds like he knows a thing or two. Are donors bailing? Could you clue us in why newbs with 10 posts keep showing up lecturing us on our attitude?

Allow this newb to clarify! I am new here. After Pelini got fired I was so hungry for news, so anxious to see what others were saying I searched and found this site. I immediately became a member, desperately wanting to converse with other Husker fans that were concerned about the program, excited about who the new coach would be, how the players were reacting, how it would affect recruits, etc., etc. Just because I'm new to this site does not mean I don't have an opinion, so please, show some respect.

In terms of the negativity I reference in my post, it isn't just this site, I have other sites I belong to as well. Not to mention social media, i.e., Facebook and Twitter. In general I have seen and heard some of the craziest stuff from people who say they are a Husker fan, and being the fan I am I began to wonder why. It's like one poster on here said, it wouldn't matter if we hired God as our HC and Jesus and his disciples as his staff, some people would still bitch and moan. I was really just stating my opinion, not lecturing, but I do have 2 teenage kids so maybe I'm starting to come off as a lecturer all the time now. :)

At any rate, thank you for your comments and for following this thread.

You're as entitled to be here as I am. The point I was trying to make is that it seems like all the Pelini haters seem to be showing up on boards they were never on during the season for the sole purpose of gloating...as if to say "Look at us....we bitched and moaned to Harvey and threatened to withhold our donations, probably hold our breathe too, if Pelini isn't fired." Also, and I'm not speaking about you, many of these great fans are apparently showing up just to mock and ridicule our former staff. That's all I meant by that.