Avery Moss - updates - 1/9 **readmission denied**

C N Red

I was for Winston during the whole deal, but when his room mates refused to testify in the hearing, I lost all respect for him, the program and Jimbo. Sad that winning is that important to some.

The guy admitted to doing it, twice I guess, my question to you guys is, if you owned a company that employed women, would you hire him? It is pretty much the same. He represents the company/university, highly paid, and a history of sexual exploits in public. It would open you up to the chance of law suits, real or not.

He decided to hang around (maybe the wrong word here), I guess we know he has a history of that, but you have to look at what could happen. Nebraska does not need the added publicity of housing sex offenders. Whether he is or not, that would be the call by the media, few would say it was giving a second chance.

I think the program is better off with out him, but some see him as important to the football team, so he gets a pass, that they would not give on their own.

I would have told him he was done, I would not hire him for any reason.

It's sad that this is even up for debate. This piece of sh#t should be locked up already.

Are you referring to Moss as a p.o.s.?

No I was referring to Winston. Skersfans comment started off about Winston and just kind of trailed into being about Moss without ever making it clear who he was talking about, but I was commenting about Winston being a piece of sh#t. Moss might be too, I don't know. I wouldn't say what he did makes it a definite, but it makes it more than likely. Not sure what could be going through someone's head when they do something like Moss did. Clearly some issues there.

Couple things..

Avery was never promised anything by the University in regards to being eligible once again. If Avery was promised anything, it was by certain coaches who thought they could control the situation.

Avery was very aware from the beginning that he was only promised the opportunity for an appeal from the University, never a guaranteed reinstatement.

I think this is news to a lot of us who have only ever followed this situation superficially and with the understanding of "Avery has done everything they asked of him, we'll know more soon".

Jay Moore included.

Some #Huskers football players filed an online petition asking for Moss' reinstatement. 4,000-plus supporters so far https://www.change.org/p/arturo-perez-unl-administration-appeal-and-remove-the-ban-and-bar-from-the-university-of-nebraska-that-was-handed-down-to-avery-moss?recruiter=209110516&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=share_twitter_responsive

Jon Nyatawa@JonNyatawa 39m

What's central in Moss' case is NU's "ban & bar" policy. A bit arbitrary. Issued notices aren't crimes (not public)

B6_sVANCIAAo1hF.png

Nebraska officials say student privacy laws prevent them from sharing their side. I do believe Moss could give them permission to talk, tho

• Fire 1

Couple things..

Avery was never promised anything by the University in regards to being eligible once again. If Avery was promised anything, it was by certain coaches who thought they could control the situation.

Avery was very aware from the beginning that he was only promised the opportunity for an appeal from the University, never a guaranteed reinstatement.

I think this is news to a lot of us who have only ever followed this situation superficially and with the understanding of "Avery has done everything they asked of him, we'll know more soon".

Jay Moore included.

I think that Willie is spot on. All we ever heard was the "he is doing everything" line, but where was that coming from? Moss's side. The only thing that UNL owed him was a chance to appeal on a certain date. And he did that and it was denied fairly quickly (5 business days).

Rightly or wrongly, sexual assault on college campuses has become a hot button issue lately, see Michigan, FSU, Oregon, and even that bogus Virgina story. The UNL administration did in their eyes what they thought was best. I can't really fault them for that.

The bottom line is that Avery screwed up. We wouldn't have a 7+page thread if he wasn't a very promising player with NFL-caliber size/skills. I hope that he has learned from this episode (from his comments it sounds like this is true) and is able to make the most of his life going forward.

• Fire 2

If a (decent to good looking) girl whipped her cooter out in the same situation, I bet there'd have been no problem, for obvious reasons.

#sexdiscrimination

That depends...If it was a nice looking thing with a small racing stripe, no issues. If it was a big bushy looking Arbys roast beef sandwich with extra horsey sauce on it, then big issues.

Couple things..

Jay Moore included.

I think that Willie is spot on. All we ever heard was the "he is doing everything" line, but where was that coming from? Moss's side. The only thing that UNL owed him was a chance to appeal on a certain date. And he did that and it was denied fairly quickly (5 business days).

Rightly or wrongly, sexual assault on college campuses has become a hot button issue lately, see Michigan, FSU, Oregon, and even that bogus Virgina story. The UNL administration did in their eyes what they thought was best. I can't really fault them for that.

The bottom line is that Avery screwed up. We wouldn't have a 7+page thread if he wasn't a very promising player with NFL-caliber size/skills. I hope that he has learned from this episode (from his comments it sounds like this is true) and is able to make the most of his life going forward.

If he was told that prior to the winter break that he was going to have a decision (which he has stated several times), that is way more than 5 business days. I'm sure they got back to him within 5 days after the break but they told him they would get back to him prior to the break, that is a big deal and completely inconsiderate and frankly unprofessional. Maybe I hold our administration to a little higher standard than others on this board?

There is a 7+ page thread on here because this is a husker football message board, so most people on here know who Avery Moss is. Most people don't care about his NFL ability, people care because he is a well known public figure in Nebraska. It just so happens that Husker football is followed more in Nebraska than anything else. I could care less if he ever played another down for Nebraska, but what I do believe in is treating people right. At least give the kid an opportunity to go elsewhere. Arturo knew in the summer, that the previous IX coordinator's stipulations wouldn't be enough for Avery to enroll in the spring. So if you are heavily associated with the institution of education (should be empathetic to the mission of educating young people), why in the world would you not tell this kid that there was no chance he would be able to enroll in the spring and allow him to find an opportunity elsewhere. Instead, Arturo strung Avery along, for not only fall semester, but also spring semester (too late to enroll elsewhere).

Avery did something dumb for one night, miscommunication on another. Arturo was negligent for someone of his stature and position in Nebraska's education system not for a day or two, but 5 to 6 months. That is unacceptable.

Regardless of the ultimate decision, they didn't have to wait until 3 days before 2nd semester to cut him lose.

Are you saying Moss was left hanging? :laughpound

He was cut loose when he was banned. It was Moss' decision to stick around and hope things changed for him instead of moving on to another gig. I'm not blaming him, as this happens all the time to everybody. "Should I stay at my old job or take the new one?" for example.

I wish Moss the best, but not being able to play football at Nebraska won't be fatal. It might open other doors for him.

I like how this board, and many of the ones here defending Avery and blaming the University, wastes no time taking great pleasure in taking the moral high road against schools like say, Florida st.

More than winning indeed.

Ya, b/c they are so close to being the same thing. Your lines are pretty wide i guess. Im guessing you dont spend much time outside your house, work, or away from a keyboard.

You're wrong about a lot of things, it doesn't surprise me you're wrong in your assessment of me.

Regardless of the ultimate decision, they didn't have to wait until 3 days before 2nd semester to cut him lose.

Are you saying Moss was left hanging? :laughpound

He was cut loose when he was banned. It was Moss' decision to stick around and hope things changed for him instead of moving on to another gig. I'm not blaming him, as this happens all the time to everybody. "Should I stay at my old job or take the new one?" for example.

I wish Moss the best, but not being able to play football at Nebraska won't be fatal. It might open other doors for him.

Bowfin is correct. I have worked at a university for over 20 years and have dealt with students who have broken the university code of conduct rules on multiple occasions. When a student is guilty of sexual misconduct it is taken very seriously, and have a very small amount of leniency toward students who commit acts of this nature (acts such as mooning, flashing, peeping, groping, etc.). To think he was strung along or given disingenuous hope would be worrisome; but due to legal issues that could result from this, I highly doubt that to be the case. My guess is that after the first offense and his ban from campus, he would have been given the opportunity to comeback on a probationary status with conditions (meet with a counselor, special living arrangements, some campus restrictions), but after he was caught on campus during his time of restriction, he was finished. He should of known, and was probably told, that getting back into the university was highly unlikely. He needs to accept responsibility for his actions, and move on.

• Fire 1

I see a lot of talk about personal responsibility and lack of faith in Rehabilitation processes.... take that liberalism. :nutz

So when do we start slamming Mike Rose for going from optimistic, smiling faced, supporter of change and new staff to another Twitter-fueled, agent of the "divisive element" in the locker room? Or do we need a new thread? :snacks:

Someone needs to go ask Dana Altman what happens when you let a dirtbag with a questionable history of sexual misconduct back on your team and it happens again.

I honestly can't believe there are words that are banned here yet defending this is somehow ok.

• Fire 3

If he was told that prior to the winter break that he was going to have a decision (which he has stated several times), that is way more than 5 business days. I'm sure they got back to him within 5 days after the break but they told him they would get back to him prior to the break, that is a big deal and completely inconsiderate and frankly unprofessional. Maybe I hold our administration to a little higher standard than others on this board?

There is a 7+ page thread on here because this is a husker football message board, so most people on here know who Avery Moss is. Most people don't care about his NFL ability, people care because he is a well known public figure in Nebraska. It just so happens that Husker football is followed more in Nebraska than anything else. I could care less if he ever played another down for Nebraska, but what I do believe in is treating people right. At least give the kid an opportunity to go elsewhere. Arturo knew in the summer, that the previous IX coordinator's stipulations wouldn't be enough for Avery to enroll in the spring. So if you are heavily associated with the institution of education (should be empathetic to the mission of educating young people), why in the world would you not tell this kid that there was no chance he would be able to enroll in the spring and allow him to find an opportunity elsewhere. Instead, Arturo strung Avery along, for not only fall semester, but also spring semester (too late to enroll elsewhere).

Avery did something dumb for one night, miscommunication on another. Arturo was negligent for someone of his stature and position in Nebraska's education system not for a day or two, but 5 to 6 months. That is unacceptable.

He couldn't appeal until 1/2/15. It's not up to UNL to tell him "nope" until the appeal is filed.

If Avery was a 3rd string walk-on from Kearney, I would guess this thread doesn't reach page 2.

• Fire 1

Someone needs to go ask Dana Altman what happens when you let a dirtbag with a questionable history of sexual misconduct back on your team and it happens again.

I honestly can't believe there are words that are banned here yet defending this is somehow ok.

Come on Polo, you're better than that. Let's not pretend like he raped or molested someone. Would you feel the same way if one of the volleyball players flashed a gas station clerk?

Come on Polo, you're better than that. Let's not pretend like he raped or molested someone. Would you feel the same way if one of the volleyball players flashed a gas station clerk?

Holy freaking crap.

• Fire 1