Talent vs Coaching--Mike Riley & the Pac-12 vs Bo Pelini & the B1G

Does anyone else think that their stadium looks really cool and that the orange really makes it pop?

Also...Jay Foreman follows me on twitter...#Boss

I wish I had more people follow me on twitter.

I feel bad for anyone who follows me on twitter. I have nothing interesting to say. Makes me wonder why they're still following.

I have 15 followers. I think 3 of them are people who have confused me for someone else.

Does anyone else think that their stadium looks really cool and that the orange really makes it pop?

I feel bad for anyone who follows me on twitter. I have nothing interesting to say. Makes me wonder why they're still following.

Obsession, mostly.

Obsession, mostly.

creepysmile.gif

I have 15 followers. I think 3 of them are people who have confused me for someone else.

I use Twitter for breaking news. Best tool ever. Otherwise my activity centers around BSing with Polo & GSG. *

* and trying to prove Erin Sorensen is about 15 different fake accounts on twitter. That never gets old.

Obsession, mostly.

creepysmile.gif

I use Twitter for breaking news. Best tool ever. Otherwise my activity centers around BSing with Polo & GSG. *

* and trying to prove Erin Sorensen is about 15 different fake accounts on twitter. That never gets old.

Yeah. I have used it more for the media part of social media. Plus yapping at my 2 brother in laws about Creighton vs Huskers.

Polo-Find me on Twitter. @Pat_Slaughter

Obsession, mostly.

creepysmile.gif

Yeah. I have used it more for the media part of social media. Plus yapping at my 2 brother in laws about Creighton vs Huskers.

Are you a sergeant? Because that would make you a cool twitter follow.

Obsession, mostly.

creepysmile.gif

Are you a sergeant? Because that would make you a cool twitter follow.

No. I get that a lot, though.

Jay Foreman's commentary this morning about defensive philosophy of Bo versus what this new guy's may be, and how it affects our players and so on. Wow. Talk about makin a guy shake his head.

Can you elaborate or post a link or something?

Yeah. I'm getting to it. it's quite a bit. Somethin came up at work and i had to hit post.

1620thezone podcasts.

But in general, he talked about the technical issues with Bo's defense causing way too much thinking and tentativeness. He doesnt like the perception that our defense is slow, cuz it isnt. But guys were not playing with any aggression or confidence. That this new guys ideal is to attack. penetrate, spill the runners outside, use the sideline as a 12th defender and guys in the back end can simply chase it down. The Gerry and Alexanders and the linebackers dont have to worry so much about technical fits as opposed to just getting there. Also about Bo's defense being too much about guys in the back level having to play from the guys in front of them, and when somethign happens and you get a Dlineman to linebacker overcompensating, you get the secondary way out of position. This is what happened in the Wisconsin game time and time again. he things the only downfall could be from a mental standpoint where the linebackers have to be ready to run and play with aggression. but that it wont be as difficult in this adjustment as it would be to go from an agressive style to a more passive style of D utilized under Bo.

I may have missed some things, and I may have got some thigns wrong. But generally this is what heard.

I heard most of this interview and it got me excited. This is what M Rose's dad was talking about in his tweets talking about "if I played for Nebraska" he would be excited to be turned loose to play aggressively.

Ive been sayin this all year. Our players are not slow. Banderas is not slow. he's an incredible athlete. But it's obvious he's thinkig too much. Esp that Miami game. The reaction time was way too slow. He was always a few steps behind. Now get these guys in a system where the dline is less technical and are just trying to disrupt, and the back 7 just need to get there, and you take away some thought process and allow a lot more aggression, and then the confidence comes.

I'll give you a perfect example of this. If you watch tape of our DEs, most of the time if they are lined up outside the OT, their first move is towards the OT like they are pushing him towards the inside. They then sit there and wait to see what happens. Now, if the RB or QB gets the ball and immediately runs outside of the DE, since his first motion is to crash the line to the inside, he never was able to react and get to the RB or QB before he was about to get around them to the outside.

If you look at any game like OSU or Wisky where we got killed to the outside, this is what the DE was doing. There was absolutely no way for him to set the edge and turn the play back inside like any good system has them doing. Now, because of this, the safety or LB is the only one who has the chance to make a play to the outside. The CB is probably covering a WR that went down field.

If that safety makes one wrong move or if he misses the tackle....the play goes for huge gain. I honestly have never figured out how this is good defense and I am SOOOO glad we won't have that again next year.

• Fire 2

Obsession, moistly.

FIFY

• Fire 2

Football moves fast, and it can be hard to follow as a fan without instant replay and a helpful telestrator.

But there were several Nebraska games where I watched plays unfold and had time to look up and see our defenders still five yards off the play, waiting for it to come to them.

I would yell at the TV, but they acted like they didn't even hear me.

Jay Foreman's commentary this morning about defensive philosophy of Bo versus what this new guy's may be, and how it affects our players and so on. Wow. Talk about makin a guy shake his head.

Can you elaborate or post a link or something?

Yeah. I'm getting to it. it's quite a bit. Somethin came up at work and i had to hit post.

1620thezone podcasts.

But in general, he talked about the technical issues with Bo's defense causing way too much thinking and tentativeness. He doesnt like the perception that our defense is slow, cuz it isnt. But guys were not playing with any aggression or confidence. That this new guys ideal is to attack. penetrate, spill the runners outside, use the sideline as a 12th defender and guys in the back end can simply chase it down. The Gerry and Alexanders and the linebackers dont have to worry so much about technical fits as opposed to just getting there. Also about Bo's defense being too much about guys in the back level having to play from the guys in front of them, and when somethign happens and you get a Dlineman to linebacker overcompensating, you get the secondary way out of position. This is what happened in the Wisconsin game time and time again. he things the only downfall could be from a mental standpoint where the linebackers have to be ready to run and play with aggression. but that it wont be as difficult in this adjustment as it would be to go from an agressive style to a more passive style of D utilized under Bo.

I may have missed some things, and I may have got some thigns wrong. But generally this is what heard.

I heard most of this interview and it got me excited. This is what M Rose's dad was talking about in his tweets talking about "if I played for Nebraska" he would be excited to be turned loose to play aggressively.

Ive been sayin this all year. Our players are not slow. Banderas is not slow. he's an incredible athlete. But it's obvious he's thinkig too much. Esp that Miami game. The reaction time was way too slow. He was always a few steps behind. Now get these guys in a system where the dline is less technical and are just trying to disrupt, and the back 7 just need to get there, and you take away some thought process and allow a lot more aggression, and then the confidence comes.

I'll give you a perfect example of this. If you watch tape of our DEs, most of the time if they are lined up outside the OT, their first move is towards the OT like they are pushing him towards the inside. They then sit there and wait to see what happens. Now, if the RB or QB gets the ball and immediately runs outside of the DE, since his first motion is to crash the line to the inside, he never was able to react and get to the RB or QB before he was about to get around them to the outside.

If you look at any game like OSU or Wisky where we got killed to the outside, this is what the DE was doing. There was absolutely no way for him to set the edge and turn the play back inside like any good system has them doing. Now, because of this, the safety or LB is the only one who has the chance to make a play to the outside. The CB is probably covering a WR that went down field.

If that safety makes one wrong move or if he misses the tackle....the play goes for huge gain. I honestly have never figured out how this is good defense and I am SOOOO glad we won't have that again next year.

The idea behind this is because the DE is 1)supposed to make contact with the tackle and keep the tackle from getting to the linebacker and 2)setting a soft edge but also by squeezing the tackle down into that Bgap. it's supposed to neutralize that fit. then usually the middle backer fits the A gap, DE squeezes the bgap, and allows the OLB to fit the Cgap and outside. Then of course you have to good leverage play from your corner and proper angles from the safety. Now, against Wisconsin, quite a few times, McMullen and Gregory flat out got their lunch ate. they were getting hooked and kicked out. They didnt engage properly a couple times and that tackle or TE got to the backers. Then they were pulling a backside guard and overloading that Bgap, and when we started to over compesate with fits from the safeties, all Gordon had to do was bounce. Combine all this with our soft mentality, and after the first couple gashes, it was done.

Of course, as someone who as a general basic knowledge of football, this is the theory as I see them trying to execute. Like anything else, if executed it's effective.