If "ex" coaches are negative about the school...

teachercd

Do you have a huge problem with it?

There are "rumors" and I am guess that they are not true, that some of the coaches that have been canned said negative things to some of the recruits...Now, first of all I really think it depends on what your definition of the word negative might be.

But...I guess I don't have a huge issue with it if it is something like this...

Recruit: "Coach, what is going on man, I heard they let all you guys go?"

Coach: "Yeah, I don't know what to tell you but we will not be here anymore and I am not sure where I will end up, but, I will be recruiting you hard when I get to a new school, one that is even better"

I mean, would you have a problem with that? I would not.

Depends on what they're saying, but if it's a scenario like you have up there, I have no problem with that. Recruiting is about building relationships. Those coaches don't forget those recruits if they move on to another school. It makes sense they'd be interested in moving those kids along with them.

What if it is after the bowl game...when they are no longer part of the school, but, still getting money?

I would be okay with them being like "Yeah, look, NU is messed up and face it, you might not have the same coach by your 3rd year, but we are stable over at State U"

I don't have an issue with it at all.

I would have a slight problem with that. If Nebraska is currently paying your bills to hit the trail, you should be recruiting for Nebraska (regardless of your impending fate). Recruit for the school, not yourself.

I completely agree! If I was MR or SE, I wouldn't trust the current staff with recruiting. Current staff on their way out would probably have some negative feelings (I would) have a tough time selling recruits on the school that canned you. MR would be wise to stay on the road and get his top recruiters out there running before the next couple weeks of the dead period. Nebraska isn't paying current staff to pursuade new recruits to go anywhere other than Nebraska. MMM just not sitting well with me. Otherwise let them do it on their own time!

• Fire 1

Put things into perspective...

If you get fired from your job, how many good things do you really have to say about said place?

it's not about whether they are saying good things, it's about whether they are saying bad things. and in my case, i would be saying zero bad things because I, like these coaches - have a non disparagement agreement.

Boy those are tough to prove and even tougher to enforce, I would imagine.

With the relationships the recruits form with these coaches I think it's in the best interest of all involved to not have anyone expect those staying recruit.. The adults need to be the adult in this situation, but common sense needs to prevail as well.. They can't honestly answer some of these kids questions at this point..

Put things into perspective...

If you get fired from your job, how many good things do you really have to say about said place?

In private? Rant away.

But if it has any chance of going public, be very, very careful because the place that hired you probably isn't that different than the place that fired you.

College fooball is a small world. Burning bridges has an excellent chance of backfiring.

That said, I'm sure it's full of guys who genuinely can't stand each other.