Meet the New Nebraska

tmfr15

When Bill was hired ... a move was made away from the Husker tradition to something new, a passing offense and Lincoln as a blue chip destination. We all wanted to work, but it didn't, in part because we didn't have the talent for it at the time (no pro style QB, blocking WRs instead of ones who could run routes, an O-line that couldn't pass block... etc) and in part because our coach was someone without much experience as an HC at the pro level, let alone college.

So Jerry Tagge is no longer a part of the Husker tradition?

Also, lets not rewrite history and say that Bill Callahan's offensive system didn't work here. In 2006 we had the #8 offense in the country with balanced passing/rushing. Zac Taylor did just fine as a pro style QB. And don't forget Ganz at the end of 07 and in 08 running Watsons/Callahans system. I'm not a Callahan apologist, but his offense wasn't the problem. TO said the same as a reason he asked Bo to keep Watson and Gilmore.

Let us not forget David Humm either, a lefty that went on to the NFL as a QB.

Can anyone say Vince Ferragamo??

I was waiting for someone to mention him.

Jerry Tagge – 1972 – Packers – 1st Round

Van Brownson – 1972 – Colts – 8th Round

David Humm – 1975 – Raiders – 5th Round

Vince Ferragamo – 1977 – Rams – 4th Round

Bruce Mathison – 1983 – Chargers – 10th Round

Turner Gill – 1984 – Jets – 3rd Round

Steve Taylor – 1989 – Colts – 12th Round

Gerry Gdowski – 1990 – Saints – 8th Round

Keithen McCant – 1992 – Browns – 12th Round

Am I missing anyone else?

Edited by NebraskaShellback
  • Fire 1

IMO we don't need a passing QB, we just need a QB that can pass when required, other than that I agree. Good post

We need a QB who is an ahove average passer who can at least move around little. And if he can do both above average, great. But we cant be recruiting the run first QBs who are below average passers. Just as a passing only QB can make an offense one dimensional, and make it much easier for defenses to key, so can a guy who can only run.

Yeah, I'm done with quarterbacks who play basically like a second running back, dazzle everyone for half a season, then the injuries start taking a toll.......they're too knowledgeable to sit but too beat up to be anything near what they used to be. I think we're seeing this throughout college football, not just at Nebraska. Just give me a great passer and a pretty good scrambler.....let's let the running backs take turns with the running and maybe throw in the occasional QB sneak or bootleg.

IMO we don't need a passing QB, we just need a QB that can pass when required, other than that I agree. Good post

We need a QB who is an ahove average passer who can at least move around little. And if he can do both above average, great. But we cant be recruiting the run first QBs who are below average passers. Just as a passing only QB can make an offense one dimensional, and make it much easier for defenses to key, so can a guy who can only run.

Yeah, I'm done with quarterbacks who play basically like a second running back, dazzle everyone for half a season, then the injuries start taking a toll.......they're too knowledgeable to sit but too beat up to be anything near what they used to be. I think we're seeing this throughout college football, not just at Nebraska. Just give me a great passer and a pretty good scrambler.....let's let the running backs take turns with the running and maybe throw in the occasional QB sneak or bootleg.

Great point, if you want to run this style you better be able to develop QB's so you dont have a huge drop off from #1 to #2. That lack of development hurt the team for years.

When Bill was hired ... a move was made away from the Husker tradition to something new, a passing offense and Lincoln as a blue chip destination. We all wanted to work, but it didn't, in part because we didn't have the talent for it at the time (no pro style QB, blocking WRs instead of ones who could run routes, an O-line that couldn't pass block... etc) and in part because our coach was someone without much experience as an HC at the pro level, let alone college.

Also, lets not rewrite history and say that Bill Callahan's offensive system didn't work here. In 2006 we had the #8 offense in the country with balanced passing/rushing. Zac Taylor did just fine as a pro style QB. And don't forget Ganz at the end of 07 and in 08 running Watsons/Callahans system. I'm not a Callahan apologist, but his offense wasn't the problem. TO said the same as a reason he asked Bo to keep Watson and Gilmore.

It was shown several times on here that most of the yards from that year and some others from the Callahan era were in garbage time or when we were down by several TDs and the game was far out of reach...

We are not going to get that 5 star pro style QB. I would rather have the serviceable 2 or 3 star guy who also has wheels to burn defenses on designed runs, or scrambles out of bounds on third downs picking up first downs. Kind of like what TA is with better short/medium accuracy.

You don't get to be the number 8 ranked offense by running up your numbers in so called garbage time.

And we have gotten a 5 star pro style QB here at Nebraska before, he just didn't work out. His name was Harrison Beck. I believe he was also an Elite 11 QB.

It was shown several times on here that most of the yards from that year and some others from the Callahan era were in garbage time or when we were down by several TDs and the game was far out of reach...

We are not going to get that 5 star pro style QB. I would rather have the serviceable 2 or 3 star guy who also has wheels to burn defenses on designed runs, or scrambles out of bounds on third downs picking up first downs. Kind of like what TA is with better short/medium accuracy.

You don't get to be the number 8 ranked offense by running up your numbers in so called garbage time.

And we have gotten a 5 star pro style QB here at Nebraska before, he just didn't work out. His name was Harrison Beck. I believe he was also an Elite 11 QB.

How did Beck turn out?

How did Beck turn out?

He was so awesome he skipped being QB and went right to OC.

I think we have a few QB's on the team right now that will be exactly what most are saying about a QB that passes but also can run. We needed someone that can develop them we just didn't have that before. There aren't very many high school QB's that are ready to go from day 1. Hopefully this staff will get that part accomplished real soon.

How did Beck turn out?

Read the post you quoted one more time.

Poster I quoted stated we wouldn't be able to get a 5* QB to come to NU, We already have.

Let us not forget David Humm either, a lefty that went on to the NFL as a QB.

Or Vince Ferragamo who played in Super Bowl 14.

Jammal Lord :wasted

After more than 50 years of watching Husker football, it is my opinion that running Quarterbacks can throw but not well and usuallly not just when we need it. If we run all of the time, it will be much harder to recruit people with good hands. Some of those have Sunday dreams and want teams that throw to showcase their hands. If we are mainly just a run team, top 20 teams will load the box with 8 or more and flow in the driection of the QB/IBack and linemen flow. We have lost many important games when the running attack came up on 3rd and long. For the defense to play honest, you have to have a credible passing game. The pass, pass. pass, problem is in the OC's mind. We need great linemen to run and control the clock after we get a 3 TD lead and a great passing attack to maintain possession till we score.

Devaney told a story once about the Huskers having a reputation of running three time with clouds of dust and then punting. He said in one his first games he called a pass play. It was incomplete but he got a standing ovation.

Frank Patrick.

He was a 6' 7" quarterback who could throw the ball a mile but was among the most inaccurate an inefficient in Husker history.

Patrick started for Devaney in 1967, was replaced by Ernie Sigler mid-season 1968, and finished his career as a second string tight end.

For some mysterious reason he was drafted by the Green Bay Packers in 1970, lasted three seasons and played in four games. Bart Starr himself marvelled at how far Frank Patrick could throw the ball, but apparently getting it into a receiver's hands remained a problem.

Vince Ferragamo remains the only Nebraska quarterback to take significant snaps in the NFL.