RB Recruiting

Bussey has the tools to be a stud and would be a stud in Rileys offense. However at the RB position we have a lot of young talent on our roster.

This I agree with. Bussey would be most talented back on our roster. We will be fine without him though. Wilbon was a plan b or c that decommitted from vandy right? Bussey is and has always been our only guy and we have fended off the wolves until right up until signing day. Too bad we couldn't hold the sec off any longer. Kid will be special.

Definitely was not plan B or C. Was a Rivals top170 guy who committed to Vandy VERY early (April of Jr. Year), then decommitted when Franklin left. We then held off PennSt and others for him.

Well he wasn't our number 1 guy. Our top guy was the back from Colorado that ended up at Arizona state who plays as a true freshmen. But back to bussey. Good to hear he still considers us.
Not saying it's the case but when Wilbon was committed to Vandy from April-Dec he was solid as could be...so not sure we saw him as a legit target. However we accepted Wilbon's commitment before Ballage decided so we musta been pretty happy with him. And lastly let's not act like Ballage did anything special as a true freshman, he ran for 112 yards all year.

Ballage committed Dec 11th. WIlbon committed Jan 26th. At least that is according to the recruiting websites.
I think Ballage opened it back up after that, at least according to our profile for him on here. But either way it don't matter, I really want Bussey here but I'm sure we'd be fine without him too.

Bussey has the tools to be a stud and would be a stud in Rileys offense. However at the RB position we have a lot of young talent on our roster.

This I agree with. Bussey would be most talented back on our roster. We will be fine without him though. Wilbon was a plan b or c that decommitted from vandy right? Bussey is and has always been our only guy and we have fended off the wolves until right up until signing day. Too bad we couldn't hold the sec off any longer. Kid will be special.

Definitely was not plan B or C. Was a Rivals top170 guy who committed to Vandy VERY early (April of Jr. Year), then decommitted when Franklin left. We then held off PennSt and others for him.
Well he wasn't our number 1 guy. Our top guy was the back from Colorado that ended up at Arizona state who plays as a true freshmen. But back to bussey. Good to hear he still considers us.
Not saying it's the case but when Wilbon was committed to Vandy from April-Dec he was solid as could be...so not sure we saw him as a legit target. However we accepted Wilbon's commitment before Ballage decided so we musta been pretty happy with him. And lastly let's not act like Ballage did anything special as a true freshman, he ran for 112 yards all year.

He didn't do anything special but he is going to be. I don't know if you watched when he did get to play but he looked impressive. I think he is a better back at this stage than Newby is for our team, and definitely than WIlbon is for our team right now.

Lol, Wilbon didn't play...not sure I would begin to compare Ballage and Wilbon today.

By process of elimination, I think Ballage is better than Newby and Newby is better than Wilbon (or Wilbon would have played, if you believe that Bo always gave the kids a shot at competing to play) so Ballage is better than Wilbon... and this thread is getting out of control haha

He didn't do anything special but he is going to be. I don't know if you watched when he did get to play but he looked impressive. I think he is a better back at this stage than Newby is for our team, and definitely than WIlbon is for our team right now.

Lol, Wilbon didn't play...not sure I would begin to compare Ballage and Wilbon today.

By process of elimination, I think Ballage is better than Newby and Newby is better than Wilbon (or Wilbon would have played, if you believe that Bo always gave the kids a shot at competing to play) so Ballage is better than Wilbon... and this thread is getting out of control haha

Agree that Ballage is better than Newby.

Wilbon got hurt...didn't have much of a chance to beat out Newby/Cross for reps especially when they weren't going to get many of Abdullah's reps.

DIng! Ding! DIng! We have a winner. You are right on all accounts. So how bout that Bussey. I think he would be a major contributor year one.

Why would Wilbon have played? We had a possible Heisman rb in AA and two backups that had previous experience in the offense. You don't burn a redshirt on a freshman when you have someone like AA unless he's FAR better than the two backups. Not to mention the fact if you're Wilbon it's smarter to redshirt after coming of an injury like he did and the amount of carries he would've got would be minimal.
  • Fire 1

What evidence do we have that cross is a power back?

He's a big weight lifter .............. The power run game to me is not about the guy with the rock, it is about the bad as$ boys upfront plowing a path for whom ever is in the back. If power means bringing in The Fridge Perry on the goal line I get it, but Husker Power is control and intimidation up front with great running backs following up.

Kalen ballage. Kids a beast. And also Christian Mccaffrey. I think the staff was just hoping to get one if them (3 plan A's!)
We offered Wilbon real early I believe. But then he committed to Vandy so we moved on. Then when he decomitted after Franklin left, we pounced on him. We may have gotten him late, but I wouldn't call him a backup plan.

Why would Wilbon have played? We had a possible Heisman rb in AA and two backups that had previous experience in the offense. You don't burn a redshirt on a freshman when you have someone like AA unless he's FAR better than the two backups. Not to mention the fact if you're Wilbon it's smarter to redshirt after coming of an injury like he did and the amount of carries he would've got would be minimal.

General philosophy with RB is if you are good you play early. It is the easiest position to move from HS to College and play. Not a steep learning curve and it allows you to use your God given ability. If you are a special back you don't come to college and redshirt unless you have an injury that prevents you from playing. Even when we had the Rex Burkhead we still got Ameer, Heard, and Green touches. Rex was a great back but if you have a hotshot Fresh come in you play him, bc most the times RB leave early for the draft if they are elite level. (Gotta keep that tread on the tires)

• Fire 2

General philosophy with RB is if you are good you play early. It is the easiest position to move from HS to College and play. Not a steep learning curve and it allows you to use your God given ability. If you are a special back you don't come to college and redshirt unless you have an injury that prevents you from playing. Even when we had the Rex Burkhead we still got Ameer, Heard, and Green touches. Rex was a great back but if you have a hotshot Fresh come in you play him, bc most the times RB leave early for the draft if they are elite level. (Gotta keep that tread on the tires)

I would not waste a redshirt on 24(Green) or 25(Heard) carries. Most of which probably came as garbage time runs or against teams like Chattanooga. If they don't want to redshirt that's fine, but they'll get limited carries. For both Nebraska and the player in a situation like that, it's best to redshirt.

I would not waste a redshirt on 24(Green) or 25(Heard) carries. Most of which probably came as garbage time runs or against teams like Chattanooga. If they don't want to redshirt that's fine, but they'll get limited carries. For both Nebraska and the player in a situation like that, it's best to redshirt.

Heard was already a year removed from HS bc of eligibility issues so it would be silly to redshirt him. You let the 3 of them show what they got on the field. The cream rose to the top. Abdullah holds records and the other 2 are role players for new teams. A redshirt would have maybe delayed that process a year or Green would have never came here, bc I doubt he was choosing a college that intended on redshirting him.

Statements like this just make me shake my head.

Yes, in HS it seems like he would be an absolute stud. However, we have at least 2-3 players at that position on the team right now that were the same way. One was the best RB in the state of California. The other was one of the top 2 RBs in the state of Texas.

We have very very good talent on this team right now. Saying a kid who hasn't even stepped foot on campus yet is clearly better than them is a stretch. He would be a very nice addition that I hope we get. That's as far as it goes.

• Fire 2

Yes, in HS it seems like he would be an absolute stud. However, we have at least 2-3 players at that position on the team right now that were the same way. One was the best RB in the state of California. The other was one of the top 2 RBs in the state of Texas.

We have very very good talent on this team right now. Saying a kid who hasn't even stepped foot on campus yet is clearly better than them is a stretch. He would be a very nice addition that I hope we get. That's as far as it goes.

. He might not be the best back on our roster from day 1. But he is a 10.4 100m kid who is 5'8 200. That is freakish speed that we don't have on out team. Newby is almost that fast, but not nearly as strong. Taylor and cross are stronger but not nearly as explosive. He has all the tools and reminds me of a lot of Abdullah. He could be a complete back in any offense. Newby needs a spread and Taylor and cross would prob prefer a offense with a fullback. Just my assessment of his ability projecting to the next level.

. He might not be the best back on our roster from day 1. But he is a 10.4 100m kid who is 5'8 200. That is freakish speed that we don't have on out team. Newby is almost that fast, but not nearly as strong. Taylor and cross are stronger but not nearly as explosive. He has all the tools and reminds me of a lot of Abdullah. He could be a complete back in any offense. Newby needs a spread and Taylor and cross would prob prefer a offense with a fullback. Just my assessment of his ability projecting to the next level.

What reference does anyone have when it comes to Adam Taylor's skill set? Unless he broke some land speed record in a motorized scooter, I don't think anyone can pigeon hole his running style or how fast he is.