Why isn't there as much public outrage with the cop killer...

NUance

This was awful. The perpetrator, had he lived, deserved the most severe penalties in the law and universal public condemnation. Same backlash over anyone who actually supports what he did.

I think we are almost all agreed on all of these points, though. Very saddening events.

• Fire 1

This country has turned into a complete joke. I don't know how any country is supposed to take us seriously anymore. Just look at all the people on Twitter and Facebook applauding their murder.

the complete joke is thinking twitter and facebook are an apt sampling size for the nation at large.

Who/what would people protest? Who would we show our outrage for? It's something sh**ty that happened that can't really be fixed. It's a crazy person killing someone. And there isn't a systematic oppression of cops.

But there is a systematic hatred of cops in the black community.

Why would that be?

Interferes with business?

Here's a thought. Why not pull all police presence from predominantly black neighborhoods and let them "police" themselves.

Or you could work to ensure that the police in a given area are demographically representative of that area. But that is less racist, so let's do your thing.

Well hell, let's demographically breakup the whole U.S. If your white your automatically deemed racist these days. Feel free to call the next person racist who disagrees with you.

If your white your automatically deemed racist these days.

Wow. Really?
A little bit of a reach there, but it seems like there is an adverse amount of reverse racism these days. I just get tired of hearing about all the African Americans still being repressed. There s just as much opportunity for blacks as there is for any other.

It just gets old after awhile having to pay for the sins of our forefathers that occurred hundreds of years ago.

Who/what would people protest? Who would we show our outrage for? It's something sh**ty that happened that can't really be fixed. It's a crazy person killing someone. And there isn't a systematic oppression of cops.

But there is a systematic hatred of cops in the black community.
Why would that be?

Interferes with business?
Please tell me this wasn't meant to sound as bad as it does...

I just get tired of hearing about all the African Americans still being repressed. There s just as much opportunity for blacks as there is for any other.

bullsh#t.

The only valid argument is that, although there is less opportunity for them, it's not because they're black.

Which is probably a pretty valid argument.

Wow. Really?

A little bit of a reach there, but it seems like there is an adverse amount of reverse racism these days. I just get tired of hearing about all the African Americans still being repressed. There s just as much opportunity for blacks as there is for any other.

It just gets old after awhile having to pay for the sins of our forefathers that occurred hundreds of years ago.

Maybe you should explain it to them. Can't imagine why you might hear accusations of racism these days.

Wow. Really?

There is no such thing as "reverse racism."

The very name is elitist. It infers that racism is a one-way street, that "real" racism is directed FROM Whites TO [insert minority label here]. Just because you're white doesn't mean you can't be discriminated against because of your skin color. I have, and I'm as pasty white as you can get. Difference is, the institution, the very society I live in doesn't come with inherent biases against people of my skin color.

Racism is racism, and it's wrong no matter who perpetuates it, no matter their skin color. And anyone in this country - YOU - can be the target.

This term is a pet peeve of mine. If it was forgotten by the planet tomorrow it wouldn't be soon enough.

Regarding the ignorant muckraking about this jackoff shooting the officers and the disparate reactions:

It's been covered here pretty well, and if you don't get it it's willful or you're unable to grasp it. No sane person cheers for the murder of police officers. Those who do are the minority, the vast minority. Focusing on those people is like saying Lawrence Phillips represents all of Nebraska athletes from 1995 - present. He's the outlier, not the norm. The idiots who cheer this are the outlier. Pay them no heed, but beware of them. Unchecked ignorance is a plague that affects us all.

Murder is a reprehensible act. Murdering uninvolved, innocent men or women whose job it is to lay their lives on the line to protect you on a daily basis is base cowardice. This is not in dispute, therefore no protests. We all agree, this was sh**ty.

One nuance of this that hasn't been covered: The reason we're marching in the streets against the murder of these Black men and not the police (aside from what's been excellently covered in this thread) is the guy who shot the officers is a lone operator. The system has failed the people - not just Black people, not just Black men, but all of us - by failing to try in a court of law the deaths of these Black men.

This article explains why this happens. Often there is simply no evidence warranting a trial. But even when there is, Grand Juries fail to bring charges.

Grand Jury System, With Exceptions, Favors the Police in Fatalities

One thing I never understood is, how can a White guy be a sports fan and be a racist? We're all Husker fans here. Who here roots for the White guys on the team, but not the rest? Who rooted for Rex Burkhead but not Ameer Abdullah, because they have different colored skin?

I grew up a Husker fan, post-desegregation, so it was a normal thing for me to see players of many skin colors on the field. I cheer(ed) for Huskers, not for guys of a particular color. Turner Gill and Mike Rozier were two of my childhood heroes. It never occurred to me to think they were "different" because they weren't - they were Huskers. I have to believe every sports fan under the age of 50, aside from hardcore racists, celebrated touchdowns or baskets or whatever by their favorite team, regardless of who scored.

But specifically talking about Black players... who didn't love Ndamukong Suh? Who didn't love LaVonte David? Prince Amukamara, Ameer Abdullah, Randy Gregory? Who saw a sack, a touchdown, a great catch, a huge block and stopped mid-cheer to think how to react? "YEAAA-- wait, what color skin does he have? The good kind? OK! --AAAHHHH!!!"

I can't imagine being burdened with a bigotry that made me think that was something worth noting. What a sad way to live a life.

And if you don't do this, why stop to think about a person's skin color, or nationality, or gender or age or whatever, before deciding what is right or wrong in any situation?

• Fire 3