Thoughts on Big 10 conference going forward

Nebhawk

My thought is if the Big 10 doesn't pick it up some, they are headed for what was the Big East in Football. Irrevelant.

I was hoping for some other big names to land in the Big 10 coaching landscape, but looks like Michigan is going to get some 2nd tier coach.

Riley helps a great deal in name, but has to win and beat some teams like Ohio ST, Michigan ST and Wisconsin to really be taken seriously. Right. Am I thinking in the right frame of mind here?

Will the Big 10 ever be what it once was in terms of traditionally a solid football conference?

Urban Meyer saw right away he could go and dominate the Big 10 at Ohio St. Will someone step up and match him??

Step away from the kool-aid. Riley isn't a big name hire. hopefully he's the right guy, but he isn't a "splash" hire.

The B1g really needs Michigan to step up and return. PSU also. Wisconsin will stay strong, Iowa will have their ups, Minnesota has a lot of good things happening. Can we win a big game, that matters??? Thats what Nebraska needs. not meaningless non-con wins over McNeese State, or some lesser bowl...but an important game, that matters, against a quality opponent (at the time of the game, not a 1973 quality team)

Why is population boom an important factor again?

The south has always had the most talent. Untalented retirees moving from NYC, Milwaukee, Buffalo, Detroit and Cleveland to Florida doesn't have much an effect. Those 60 something year olds don't have too much eligibility anyway.

Alabama has roughly the same population as Indiana. way more talent in Alabama. Southern HS football is taken much more seriously and spring practices are a big part of that as well as demographics(that aren't being affect by population migration too much)

This is the key takeaway here. The proliferation of spring and summer 7 on 7 leagues in Texass and other southern states help build up those skill positions involved. And frankly, this is something that can be done by the northern schools and is slowly moving up north--I recall reading something a while ago where Nebraska is starting off-season 7 on 7 leagues for high school play.

It's also why having great linemen is an equalizer for Northern and smaller schools--these positions aren't included in any spring or summer ball typically, and why a lot of these offenses are soft against power football.

There's also discussion down here about how high school kids from the south are starting to have diminishing returns (read: burnout from too much high school-age football) and a call to cut back a bit on off-season football, but I don't see where that's a factor currently. Perhaps it will become more evident in the next few years, but not right now IMO.

And while this is an interesting meta discussion on the shifts in high school football, and recruiting in college football, it still has little actual bearing on Nebraska. While the population shift has moved people out of the Rust Belt (Ohio, Michigan) people seem to forget(or maybe their geography is just that bad about "flyover country") that Nebraska is not a part of the Rust belt, and never made a living recruiting there. So the debate is pointless when it comes to Nebraska in particular. It has always been get the best in state kids(usually linemen) and fill out the class nationally, with heavy leans to Texas and California. Its the same now as it has always been. So anyone using this as a rational for why Nebraska can't compete, clearly has no idea what they are talking about.

I honestly expect Ohio State to blast Bammy. I dont think the players will take them seriously. Im sure Saban is losing his mind preparing for Urban Meyer but the players probably expect to roll over them. I think tOSU handles the Tide comfortably.

God, I hope you're right. I think we could beat 'Bama. I would love a blowout.....but I'm not holding my breath for one.

I honestly expect Ohio State to blast Bammy. I dont think the players will take them seriously. Im sure Saban is losing his mind preparing for Urban Meyer but the players probably expect to roll over them. I think tOSU handles the Tide comfortably.

God, I hope you're right. I think we could beat 'Bama. I would love a blowout.....but I'm not holding my breath for one.

OMG!! we beat Alabama........dude, you opened that package with the bong inside early!

As far as parity goes, the SEC has felt pretty comparable to the rest of the conference landscape. Bamma didnt overly impress me this year by any means. They are very beatable.

Really, Bama doesn't impress you?

Not looking for an argument, but this is where I think most get that opinion. Everybody watches Bama just go about its business and thinks " They are not that good, but really, they don't do anything special to beat teams, they just go out and win. The thing that everyone needs to consider is the fact that Bama is 2 or even 3 deep at every skills position and 2 deep at all the rest. This is where they have an advantage over anybody. Yes Ohio St is on there 3rd QB for the season, but lets see what he does against a top notch D of the SEC.

Not trying to completely down play the Big 10 conference, but if you watch football, there is a complete night and day difference between how the Big 10 plays and how Pac 12, SEC, and Big 12 play ball. Take Ohio St out of that picture, and its not even comparable.

This is why Riley coming here will change some of that, and if Harbaugh goes to Michigan, completely changes the look of the Big 10 conference going forward. Franklin will get Penn ST turned around as well. This is what the conference needs going into the future.

I think the timing is right for Riley and Nebraska for a big move next year. Nebraska is closer than Michigan and Penn St for challenging Ohio St. Michigan ST now losing its DC, even favors Neb even more. Wisky is going to take a step back next year. They won't be what they have been. Thats a program now that has replaced 2 coaches in 3 years. Going into next year with 3 coaches in 4 years. That will bite them in the rear at some point.

Big 10 might be lacking in firepower today, but if the cards fall right, I truly think in the next 3 years a NC will be a Big 10 lockeroom.

We need Ohio State to win right now. An NC game win or lose will bring more recruits into the conference, even some of those lesser teams may pick up a blue chip guy. B1G needs to win some bowl games too, that will help. If the Huskers pull off on Saturday that would be an extra good Christmas bonus!

Ohio State has not won a NC in 11 years and they're working on their 4th top 5 recruiting class in a row. Not sure why a NC is needed for B1G recruiting.

Point? How many Bug Ten Championships have they won? How many have WE won? Now, shut up until Nebraska wins something. It's embarrassing.

We need Ohio State to win right now. An NC game win or lose will bring more recruits into the conference, even some of those lesser teams may pick up a blue chip guy. B1G needs to win some bowl games too, that will help. If the Huskers pull off on Saturday that would be an extra good Christmas bonus!

Ohio State has not won a NC in 11 years and they're working on their 4th top 5 recruiting class in a row. Not sure why a NC is needed for B1G recruiting.

Point? How many Bug Ten Championships have they won? How many have WE won? Now, shut up until Nebraska wins something. It's embarrassing.

My point was, the NC game does nothing for recruiting. He said OSU making it to the NC game will help with recruiting in the B1G. OSU has had no problem recruiting without doing that.

OMG!! we beat Alabama........dude, you opened that package with the bong inside early!

Huh?

You think OSU has 0 chance at beating Alabama?

As far as parity goes, the SEC has felt pretty comparable to the rest of the conference landscape. Bamma didnt overly impress me this year by any means. They are very beatable.

What special things has OSU done this year. Was it getting beat like a rented mule at home against a crappy ACC Va Tech team? Was it the double or triple or whatever OT victory against Penn State? They beat Michigan State who's signature win this year was us. They stomped a Wisconsin team that really wasn't very special at all. Bama has played some tough competition this year. I'm not so sure I can say the same about Ohio State. Plus, Meyer hasn't exactly fared real well considering the last two times he's faced Saban. Saban's more than likely the primary reason Meyer is on Ohio State's sideline rather than Florida's.

What special things has OSU done this year. Was it getting beat like a rented mule at home against a crappy ACC Va Tech team? Was it the double or triple or whatever OT victory against Penn State? They beat Michigan State who's signature win this year was us. They stomped a Wisconsin team that really wasn't very special at all. Bama has played some tough competition this year. I'm not so sure I can say the same about Ohio State. Plus, Meyer hasn't exactly fared real well considering the last two times he's faced Saban. Saban's more than likely the primary reason Meyer is on Ohio State's sideline rather than Florida's.

What special things has Alabama done this year? They beat a division full of overrated teams and struggled much like tOSU did against weaker competition. Neither Miss School is a top 15 team, aTm is thier usual joke self, LSU is way down. Who is left? Auburn who got waxed by a bad and not suprising very overrated UGA team? Arky who Alabama was very lucky to beat and squeaked out 6 wins this year? I think this game will be really close, both teams have major flaws and both are good enough to take advantage of them. The key will be if tOSU's QB can keep from turning the ball over, then I think that have a very good chance of winning that game. I fully expect Urban to double Cooper and if you slow him down, then Alabama struggles to score points as thier QB isn't very good at making quick decisions if Cooper is covered and Yeldon is a below average back at best. Nothing like they have had in the past.

Honestly I didnt watch more than 4 Bama games and one of those was a loss to an Ole Miss team I thought was WAY overrated. The whole SEC was overrated this year except for Bammy and even they managed to lose a game, almost two. Their best win was against A&M that I swear put a different team on the field every week.

Dont get me wrong, they are a great team. I just think the way the two teams respectively finished the season, Buckeyes looked superior. The VaTech game looks like more of a fluke than a blueprint on how to beat them. I expect Urban to cook up a potent gameplan and get out of town with a win.

Destroyed 4 top 10 defenses. (3 of them were away/neutral site games) Played 4 of the top 5 running backs.

What tough competition did Bama play? I'm curious? Or are you only going by rankings that started out having LSU, and A&M in the top 5?

Do you consider beating Arkansas 14-13 a big game, now that Arkansas has beaten a total of two SEC teams in 2 years?

• Fire 1

Nothing but talk, the games will be played. Bama will win is my guess. Not because they are heads and shoulders better, but because they have had a month to figure out to stop a 3rd string QB.

As to the snarky comment on Arkansas, not many in this conference would relish having them on their schedule the next couple of years. LSU will be deadly next year.

The SEC will show its dominance in the bowl games, more talent, better coaching almost through out except for Urban.