Hmmmm... Did anyone else notice that TA

drfish

Beck's game plan of two runs into the middle of the line, long pass, punt basically shows why he'll be calling plays at a middle school in Montana next year.

You keep saying this over and over and over, but it makes no sense to anyone who actually watches the games.

Help me out: is Beck's tragic flaw that he runs a complicated offense and never sticks with what works, or that he sticks with a predictible run-first offense straight out of the 1950s?

You can't have it both ways.

Well I guess you can if you're really determined.

the problem as I see it is that we have a pass first guy that needs a smart, quick release type qb for his passing game and a head coach that wanted a carbon copy of Oregons offense. The latter is the type of players we recruited, but I don't feel like beck has the knack for the run that type of offense. We were a decently talented Oregon style team with a poor version of that system.

It's no secret that teams with better talent will have more success executing the same offensive scheme and same play calls.

Tommy is close, but not close enough. Our offensive line is close, but not close enough. I don't think either would flourish in a different scheme, and it's hard to say the back-ups would have done better.

We're exactly good enough -- and bad enough -- to go 9 - 4.

The difference might be better quarterback coaching. And maybe that means starting Stanton in a pro-style offense.

I really hope that with the new offense comes a new system and all QBs get to compete. Not sure TA is a pro style QB, that's maybe where Stanton comes in and shines. Friend of mine from Southern Ca watched Stanton in HS and said the kid is a gunslinger. Not too sure why he wasn't given the shot at QB an Elite 11 QB should get? New coaching staff = clean slate for all competitors. Should be a good race.

• Fire 1

He makes some throws that will wow you such as the Kenny Bell TD and two point conversion and then he'll just make you want to rip out your hair with some of the bad choices and terrible throws he makes

Are you comparing him to Brett Favre and Tony Romo?

Are you saying Tony Romo = Brett Favre......?

You keep saying this over and over and over, but it makes no sense to anyone who actually watches the games.

Help me out: is Beck's tragic flaw that he runs a complicated offense and never sticks with what works, or that he sticks with a predictible run-first offense straight out of the 1950s?

You can't have it both ways.

Well I guess you can if you're really determined.

I think everyone will be surprised how good Tommy can be when we scrap A LOT of the Read Routes Beck seemed to be fond of. All of those "terribly inaccurate throws" everyone is talking about are mostly read routes and the WR and QB made different reads.

The thing about Beck is that he loves having a "variable" offense. Meaning, he doesn't "run plays" in the traditional sense. Those WR's on some plays aren't running routes. They are reading the D, and deciding what route to run off of what he reads. The most simple way to explain this on post routes, the WR can decide to go "over" the safety or "under" the safety, depending on how the safety moves. One instance of this happening is when it looked as though Tommy severely under-threw Westerkamp. That's what it looked like to your average Johnny Football Watcher. But to me, I saw that Westerkamp had a read route and decided, the deep route (over) was the best route. Tommy, being under pressure, made the "under" read, so it looked like a poorly thrown ball. From my perspective, Tommy may have made the correct read because the safety had his hips turned up field getting ready to play the deep route.

The reason we see Tommy looking down field sometimes appearing to "wait" and hold on to the ball forever too? Same thing, he's waiting for a WR to make a read.

For weeks I have been saying I cannot wait until we have an offense that is not dependent on QB and WR to both make the right reads. WR's need to be running routes on plays that have route concepts that will work. We do have those plays, which is why we see some plays work so well. Because the WR's actually run plays, they know when to look for the ball, and Tommy knows when they will be open.

Not saying Tommy doesn't need work though. He definitely does, but I think it's important to note that some of his down fall was due to the system too. Also, every QB in college needs work. You can point at Mariota all you want, but there's a reason guys like Mariota win Heismans. Kessler definitely made his mistakes Saturday too, and I was calling him the next best QB in college football. I still believe that, but he was outplayed by the QB that everyone here in Nebraska seems to hate.

If I weren't so lazy, I'd research the stats from last night, but I think it would be interesting to see first half vs second half stat for TA...including poor decisions. Would also like to know how many of those head scratching passes were bad cuts from the receivers. He did look like a boss for most of the later 2nd half.

First Half - 14/27 (51.9%), 160 yards, 2 TDs, 1 INT, Sacked twice

Second Half - 18/24 (75.0%), 221 yards, 1 TD, 0 INTs, No sacks

AHC BC said something as well that I found interesting. He said that Tommy tried to put the game "...on his shoulders" in the second quarter but was able to "reel himself back in" in the second half and let the game come to him and play within the system. I would say the stats (see below) are consistent with that assessment. That was also such a common theme in TM's struggles, as I recall. I wish we could have seen what a healthy TM could have done. He started off great last year with a 10:1 TD:INT ratio (does not include MN game).

I will reserve judgement on TA's passing ability. The narrative is that Bo's staff could not develop QB talent, so why expect 1) TA to be as good as he is going to get now and 2) QBs behind TA to be anymore prepared to step into the starting job? Many suggest Riley is a good QB coach and may be bringing another coach that can offer solid QB development.

TM clearly developed between his soph and junior year. Had to go outside the staff to do it. Not everybody has the assets to do that.

Stats

year comp att Yd YPA comp% TD int sacks

2013 68 131 966 7.37 51.9 9 8 4

2014 184 345 2695 7.81 53.3 22 12 20

If I weren't so lazy, I'd research the stats from last night, but I think it would be interesting to see first half vs second half stat for TA...including poor decisions. Would also like to know how many of those head scratching passes were bad cuts from the receivers. He did look like a boss for most of the later 2nd half.

It is more clear if you divide it into quarters.

qtr comp att TD INT

1st 9 15 2 0

2nd 4 11 0 1

3rd 5 8 1 0

4th 11 15 0 0

Yes, it doesn't count dropped INT's. It also doesn't count ran himself out of trouble.