Could Gerry move to LB?

chamrocck

Earl Thomas, the best safety in the world and very speedy, misses a couple tackles every game. It happens. Gerry is only a sophomore and you could argue he was consistently the best defensive player for NU last year. As he gets more comfortable back there and gets more experience, he'll be dangerous. Potential All-American/1st Rd pick.

Also, speed is not an issue for Gerry. Kid set state records for track in South Dakota. Not sure where that idea is coming from...

Probably more of a lateral quickness issue. Watch the film and he is just slow on cutting and getting in right position often leading to the missed arm tackling. I am pulling for the guy but a lot of groans from the section I was in. He has a nose for the ball...if he can get to it.

How much of that was from the system though? We had the same problems at LB and with corners for years now. Nate can run with anybody. The only person I've ever seen out run him was that #2 for USC the other night. I don't think he lacks lateral speed either, it's just being out of position or thinking too much that makes him look slow and he usually compensates for that. He was a much more dependable safety than Cooper was, and a better athlete too.

Not saying I'd move him...just bringing up the topic for discussion. USC was clearly faster...and Melvin Gordon says hello. In the section I was in if Husker fans wanted to blame a bad offensive series the blame went to TA. If they wanted to blame a bad defensive series the blame went to Gerry. Some were calling him Pat Ricketts which got some laughs. Not saying either are right but this was the vibe from the bowl game. I like the kid...but I don't think he is speedy fast/quick...maybe against most BIG teams but not against the type of speed that USC, Oregon, FSU, 'Bama, and tOSU have.

The people you sat with are dolts. You must be the only person who doesn't think he's fast.

:yeah

Fix the LB positions and Gerry becomes the run support safety we need and opponents fear.

Also, speed is not an issue for Gerry. Kid set state records for track in South Dakota. Not sure where that idea is coming from...

Probably more of a lateral quickness issue. Watch the film and he is just slow on cutting and getting in right position often leading to the missed arm tackling. I am pulling for the guy but a lot of groans from the section I was in. He has a nose for the ball...if he can get to it.

How much of that was from the system though? We had the same problems at LB and with corners for years now. Nate can run with anybody. The only person I've ever seen out run him was that #2 for USC the other night. I don't think he lacks lateral speed either, it's just being out of position or thinking too much that makes him look slow and he usually compensates for that. He was a much more dependable safety than Cooper was, and a better athlete too.

Not saying I'd move him...just bringing up the topic for discussion. USC was clearly faster...and Melvin Gordon says hello. In the section I was in if Husker fans wanted to blame a bad offensive series the blame went to TA. If they wanted to blame a bad defensive series the blame went to Gerry. Some were calling him Pat Ricketts which got some laughs. Not saying either are right but this was the vibe from the bowl game. I like the kid...but I don't think he is speedy fast/quick...maybe against most BIG teams but not against the type of speed that USC, Oregon, FSU, 'Bama, and tOSU have.

The people you sat with are dolts. You must be the only person who doesn't think he's fast.

Fix the LB positions and Gerry becomes the run support safety we need and opponents fear.

I'm all for fixing the defense...lots of shortcomings. Gerry would be much better I agree. People saying he is blazing fast though? Check out the 3rd qtr USC run when he stops his pursuit during Buck Allen's TD run.

I think he would be a stud LB. He was a true freshman from SD when he was put there. That would be tough for anyone, let alone a kid playing against SD competition just a year before. He made good plays through out the season, even some great ones. But he struggled mightily at times with angles and keeping assignment (classic bo quote). Either way I think he will only get better with a simpler scheme and spring ball. He'll succeed at whatever position he plays

I like Nate Gerry but he is often overmatched in the open field against speed players. Would it be better for him to play closer to the LOS? I was at the Holiday Bowl and the fans around me were expressing the same sentiment that long term Gerry does not have the speed/quickness necessary at safety plus he takes a ton of bad angles. I'll be interested to watch Gerry's development. Started off season well but seemed to regress down the stretch...perhaps long season wore him down? Or are we in for a position change here?

I realize you said lateral, but...

I'd argue Melvin Gordon as one of the top 3 fastest players, if not the fastest, in the game this year. And Nathan Gerry ran him down, twice, when no one else on the field was even close to capable of doing it.

I'm not worried about speed.

• Fire 1

I'm all for fixing the defense...lots of shortcomings. Gerry would be much better I agree. People saying he is blazing fast though? Check out the 3rd qtr USC run when he stops his pursuit during Buck Allen's TD run.

Did Gerry love your girlfriend or what? He is 1/3 of the positive things that happened with our defense this season. Dude was a beast, who of course wasn't perfect. Get on with a new topic... Here are some ideas.

Abdullah should've been a WR...or...maybe you could join the parade about steinkuhler on the other side of the ball?

Listed as 4.42 40yd and a 10.6 100yd out of HS...not too shabby for a safety who ideally should be helping out a speedier CB. You go find somebody running 4.3 or less and I guarantee you they'll get moved to offense. Getting beat out by a SoCal speed-burner is hardly something to be ashamed of.

What the?

Melvin Gordon says hello?

Firstly, within the system that Bo had in place, Gerry shouldn't have been making plays. He shouldn't have been chasing down Gordon. The blame for Gordon running on us does NOT fall on a free safety forced to and saving TD's. You really think our inability to defend the edges on an oustide the tackle run by Gordon (or anyone) is solely placed on one guy?

Too many times this season, we saw Gerry making plays, when he had to. And often he did.

Saw this during the game and couldn't agree with it more.

45]

pXQnQz7B_bigger.pngMike Welch@RealMikeWelch

#FlawedScheme RT @eyeformation: At times it looks like the whole play is dependent on Gerry making a tackle...if he doesn't, it is gone...

Agree that the defensive breakdown against Wisconsin does not fall on Gerry. But the post had to do with no one being able to outrun / be faster than Gerry this year except #2 on USC. That is too much :koolaid2: IMO. If we want to win BIG we are going to need more speed at several positions IMO. USC was good but they are rebuilding and still their speed was much better and deeper than ours Sat. night.
I remember twice, maybe even a 3rd, where Gerry chased down Gordon from behind.

I also remember that

I like Nate Gerry but he is often overmatched in the open field against speed players. Would it be better for him to play closer to the LOS? I was at the Holiday Bowl and the fans around me were expressing the same sentiment that long term Gerry does not have the speed/quickness necessary at safety plus he takes a ton of bad angles. I'll be interested to watch Gerry's development. Started off season well but seemed to regress down the stretch...perhaps long season wore him down? Or are we in for a position change here?

The guy has great coverage skills and was our leading tackler for a long time. The issues on defense were far from him. This notion is a bit ridiculous.

I don't think he should be moved. I agree that he really looks like a future NFL safety. He has done incredibly well for his age.

The speed question though I've seen a couple of times, he doesn't look like a 4.4 guy out there ( I didn't see the Wisconsin game however). Track speed doesn't always equal football speed . But I think he's fast enough, and as he learns better angles and stays inside out so he doesn't overrun plays, he's going to much more efficient with his speed. I hope he stays four years because he's got a bright future.