Danny Langsdorf New Offensive Coordinator

Mavric

Coughlin sounds a little miffed:

Ralph Vacchiano @RVacchianoNYDN · 7m 7 minutes ago

Coughlin on QB coach. Danny Langsdorf leaving: "I don't expect someone to be here (only) one year. That's his choice."

Coughlin always sounds that way. I still say that Olineman had some huge ones to date (or marry?) Coughlin's daughter..., While being a player under him for the Giants!

He married her, just as another player for the Jaguars married one of his daughters when Coughlin was coaching there.

I could have sworn that I read somewhere today that Coughlin received another year at the Giants.

Here's my take on this (and also on Coach Riley):

Since when does a QB have to do this every play:

Offense_Looks_To_Sideline.jpg

Isn't that common for college football though? They're simply getting the play call from the sideline. The only other options I can think of would be running a guy in with the play or getting the play through a headset in the QB's helmet, which I don't know if many/any CFB teams do but I know NFL teams do.

To answer your question, yes, it is. And that's why most of the QBs that run in this style of offense struggle to read where defenders are at. It's also why they struggle if they make it to the next level. For example:

Prime example of a great QB reading the blitz and throwing hot. Notice how Brady adjusts the protection to his right?

Prime example of a QB not reading the defense, not checking down, and throwing a pick six. Straight four man rush, mid to deep zones, Smith throws to a completely TRIPLE covered receiver. Pick six.

• Fire 1

OSU under Riley/Langsdorf

Year-Scoring O - Total O - Passing O - Rushing O

2005 - 60th - 34th - 10th - 86th

2006 - 36th - 45th - 24th - 81st

2007 - 59th - 78th - 87th - 41st

2008 - 32nd - 30th - 30th - 49th

2009 - 26th - 34th - 27th - 67th

2010 - 81st - 94th - 71st - 97th

2011 - 100th - 73rd - 19th - 118th

2012 - 37th - 43rd - 19th - 101st

2013 - 30th - 27th - 3rd - 118th

Year - PPG - YPG - Pass YPG - Rush YPG

2005 - 26.6 - 419 - 296 - 122

2006 - 27.8 - 361 - 244 - 118

2007 - 27.8 - 372 - 196 - 174

2008 - 30.5 - 407 - 249 - 158

2009 - 31.2 - 411 - 270 - 139

2010 - 24.4 - 327 - 206 - 119

2011 - 21.8 - 374 - 286 - 86

2012 - 32.5 - 431 - 307 - 124

2013 - 34.8 - 467 - 372 - 94

while I know they were at Or St, these numbers don't impress me that much.. they seem mediocre, I know Riley is the nicest head coach in the country, I just hope/pray he has not gotten used to losing as much as he has. I am also not too sure about being pass happy in Lincoln. we tried that under Billy C and it wasn't all that successful.

I am sick of the newer, 'check with me' style of offense. It's the kind of offense you run with little 10 - 12 year old youth who are still learning how to play the game. Hell, it's not even how check-with-me originally worked. QB would have two or three plays. Guys would check with the QB at the LOC on what was being run. It was up to the QB to make the call. Today's 'check with me' doesn't do that.

It handcuffs the thought process of a quarterback. It doesn't require discipline of a QB to know what he's seeing. He just goes out there, and reacts the way the coaches want him to - after looking to the sideline for help. How does that help him see the robber, or quarters coverage, or properly read a zone blitzing back who is about to blast him into next week?

Simple. It doesn't. It makes simpletons of a game that is complex.

You know why we have had QBs that have been so loose with the ball? Because they aren't being taught to read a defense. I'm not talking just about our guys - I'm talking about guys like a RGIII, or a guy like Johnny Football a/k/a the Money Badger. I like RGIII, but the skillset to read a D isn't there. Wasn't asked to do it in college - the coaches did it for him. In the pro game, you don't get that luxury.

My father used to always say, "There are some old things that we do which make no sense to do, but there are some old things we do that make perfect sense to do."

Can we please stop worrying about the current players and how they're going to adjust to the game?

Armstrong is a quarterback.

Stanton is a quarterback.

Fyfe is a quarterback.

Last I checked, the definition of a quarterback is to be the guy out on the field that puts players in the right position. Can we say our QBs have done that? If so, when was the last time we saw that?

I know when (damn me for putting this out there)....

No matter what anybody says - this dude was one of the most UNDERRATED QBs in school history, and in my opinion, the last guy who actually was a prototypical QB.

Line up. Read the D. Audible if need be. Call out protections. Understand the game. That's the job of a QB, and it is what they will be asked to do by the new head coach.

I applaud the guy and hope he does well.

yes was one of two pure passing (not any/much run game) QB's to do well at NU since David Humm. thank you for the memories. I turned that game off in the third quarter because we were getting whipped pretty bad, had to watch ESPN highlights to see that one...

I am sick of the newer, 'check with me' style of offense. It's the kind of offense you run with little 10 - 12 year old youth who are still learning how to play the game. Hell, it's not even how check-with-me originally worked. QB would have two or three plays. Guys would check with the QB at the LOC on what was being run. It was up to the QB to make the call. Today's 'check with me' doesn't do that.

It handcuffs the thought process of a quarterback. It doesn't require discipline of a QB to know what he's seeing. He just goes out there, and reacts the way the coaches want him to - after looking to the sideline for help. How does that help him see the robber, or quarters coverage, or properly read a zone blitzing back who is about to blast him into next week?

Simple. It doesn't. It makes simpletons of a game that is complex.

You know why we have had QBs that have been so loose with the ball? Because they aren't being taught to read a defense. I'm not talking just about our guys - I'm talking about guys like a RGIII, or a guy like Johnny Football a/k/a the Money Badger. I like RGIII, but the skillset to read a D isn't there. Wasn't asked to do it in college - the coaches did it for him. In the pro game, you don't get that luxury.

My father used to always say, "There are some old things that we do which make no sense to do, but there are some old things we do that make perfect sense to do."

Can we please stop worrying about the current players and how they're going to adjust to the game?

Armstrong is a quarterback.

Stanton is a quarterback.

Fyfe is a quarterback.

Last I checked, the definition of a quarterback is to be the guy out on the field that puts players in the right position. Can we say our QBs have done that? If so, when was the last time we saw that?

I know when (damn me for putting this out there)....

No matter what anybody says - this dude was one of the most UNDERRATED QBs in school history, and in my opinion, the last guy who actually was a prototypical QB.

Line up. Read the D. Audible if need be. Call out protections. Understand the game. That's the job of a QB, and it is what they will be asked to do by the new head coach.

I applaud the guy and hope he does well.

This should be it's own thread. Osborne style with alternating receivers bringing the plays or easily stolen simpleton calls by flash card from the sidelines.....with repetitive audibles.

I expect our offense to mirror Alabama's. A pro style smash mouth single back type of offense. I-Formation, Weak-I, Strong-I, and lots of Ace formations with two tights. Expect quick Screens, Play Action, draws, counters, stretch runs, fullback dives. All the things I have seen at Oregon State. Our offensive style will appeal to recruits. The days of mowing teams down with the run game on a week to week basis is over.

No one can be one dimensional in today's college football. I do believe there'll be more emphasis on the QB's and passing in 2015 but these coaches are smart enough to know that you've got to have a solid rushing attack to compliment your aerial attack.

Maybe it's just me, but so far all I get is a "meh" feel with all the hires including Reilly. I hope to be pleasantly surprised. I just don't see what in any of their back grounds screams winner. He's a nice guy, he can develop players, he'll have many more resources etc..... Looks like he's getting his buddies together who were .504 winning percentage........meh

Ok, so he coached for the Giants, cool.

What offense is he going to run, and are we going to see a continuation of the dread pass play on 3rd and short?

Yes, but it will be completed.

Great, so I can expect Shawn Watson 3.0 with everything run out of the pistol?

I don't think we'll see a lot of pistol, and he won't be calling the plays, but he is an offensive coordinator so he's inherently another Shawn Watson.

Maybe it's just me, but so far all I get is a "meh" feel with all the hires including Reilly. I hope to be pleasantly surprised. I just don't see what in any of their back grounds screams winner. He's a nice guy, he can develop players, he'll have many more resources etc..... Looks like he's getting his buddies together who were .504 winning percentage........meh

pretty much...