Big Ten Recruiting and NU's Goals

teachercd

Something surprised me today. Riley is now after some stud lineman from Oklahoma. I looked at the kid's offers and Oregon State was there. Nebraska was not. For some reason, Pelini didn't offer the kid. Now, with Riley on board, the kid is decided between Nebraska and Okie State and is leaning DONU. Recruiting will get better because these guys are a lot better at it.

Bo Pelini had a gentlemen's agreement with Bob Stoops that we wouldn't recruit kids from Oklahoma.

It is not serious and it has become a bit of the old message board urban legend stuff...some dork listed all the recruits from OK that Pelini offered and it was a decent amount.

But were they also being pursued by Oklahoma? (Just curious, not challenging the theory)

I really don't remember the names on the list...it might still be on the rivals post board, not sure.

Considering Will Sunderland was basically down to us and Oklahoma this year and we had offered a couple other Oklahoma kids this year plus a couple more offered last year I'm going to say this is a fabrication.

I'm one of those crazies who think the stars matter (at least to some degree), but there's also something to be said about recruiting the right guys to fit your system. If we do the latter well, I wouldn't mind the occasional 25-35 class. But I think living in the top 25 a majority of the time is a realistic expectation. We should be best in the division every year in recruiting, and it should translate into owning the West.

^^ This. I think recruiting improved under Callahan. But Bo let it slide some. I'm hopeful that Riley will pull in the guys that will help us win. In particular, we need to land more high quality down linemen, IMHO. On both D and O. And we should be able to pull in classes ranked in the 20-30 range. Not this year, due to small class size. But moving forward that seems like a realistic goal.

It has been mentioned but Riley is here for 3 reasons

1) Be a nice guy coach towards fans and media, not just staff and players

2) Be able to win the big games and maintain relevancy

3) Recruit with top of the conference and develop that talent

He has recruited with the likes of USC, ASU, Stanford and Oregon for years now. Consistently coming up behind all of them because his team lacked a lot of things. Now he has a huge upgrade in facilities and tradition so we should see that translate on his classes. I think expecting to finish 3rd in the Big Ten and top 15-20 nationally is reasonable if we buckle down and finish this years class hard and really hit 2016 hard.

No.

Really, the Big Ten? What happened to measuring by national rankings?

What do you think teacher......will we out recruit Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State not under suspension, and Michigan State (about equal with us in stature)? Will we continue to sign up southern players to play in 20 degree temps with below 0 windchill? I'm thinking leaving the Big 12 just made it a hell of a lot harder.

I'm now wondering if we could even compete if they switched to luge, speed skating, hockey and ski jumping......seems like we're now a southern school in the frozen league.

Is it not cold in Ohio, Pennsylvania and Michigan?

They're Texas type schools with a huge homer recruiting base right outside the door....... we have to go to Guacamolia to recruit. Most of our past recruiting success has come from the south.

​Discuss.

I may get crushed for this but Bill Callahan was able to bring some big time recruits in but was unable to develop them. Maybe, just maybe MR and his staff will be able to recruit AND develop some of them. With that said let's see how it shakes out!

I don't think Bo lacked the quality talent that we needed to win in the B1G. He struggled recruiting (or maybe developing) a QB and that cost us a win a year, but his biggest issue to me was the numbers. If Riley can bring in the same type of talent, only 3-4 more per year by doing a better (more aggressive) job of managing the roster I think we'll be fine when it comes to recruiting. It might get ugly some times, and we probably can't hand out 7 walk-on scholly's but ultimately you'll see the depth on the OL/DL build and the team get better. Throw in a 5* type difference maker every few years and that'll be enough.

As long as we place emphasis on recruiting studs at the OL and DL position, I could care less where we rank in the B1G or nationally for recruiting. When the Denver Donkeys were playing for and winning Super Bowls, they could have almost gotten any Joe off the street to run the ball behind their OL and still won. This is where we need to go. Bo spent too much time recruiting RBs and QBs while basically neglecting the OL. Football is still won in the trenches.

Pelini was unable to recruit coherently enough to avoid having massive gaps in positions. Look at LB and DL. We are going into next year paper thin across the defensive front seven, due to poor evaluation, and/or being unable to keep them on campus. Hell, some recruiting classes have had most of the members never see the field for one reason or another.

We have bodies on O-Line, and many of them highly recruited. But development never happened.