Where do you see Nebraska Football in five years?

NUpolo8

From what I can tell, people who are negative about Mike Riley aren't really upset about Bo leaving. I for example am as negative as anybody else on this board, and I'm glad Bo was fired. Nebraska had a chance to make a statement with the hire and blew it. That's what I'm negative about.

+1

How old is Saben? Snyder?

I posted a World Senior games record of a 90 year old man running a 100 meters in 17 seconds. How many of you guys can do that at 35 to 40? Riley looks fit, does quite a bit of exercise. Age hits when you decide it hits, or if you never prepared for it for your whole life. I know many people in their 70's 80's and 90's that still have a full life, run major businesses and do quite well at it.

Let him die before you kill him.

But you could be right, but know one knows until the time passes. I would much rather hope he does a great job, lives out his lifetime ambition at Nebraska. He chose to come here for a reason, not a great pay raise, not an easy job. He wanted the challenge and felt up to it. I admire that in him, see nothing wrong with his age, hell he's still a kid to me and some others that post on here.

My guess is 90% on this board can not keep up with me for a day, let alone a week. That's with two heart attacks and both knees replaced. I weigh 8 pounds more than when I graduated from Marine Corps boot camp.

Sick of hearing he is too old, sorry for the rant!

I know you all hate blue hairs, but your coming, faster than you think!!

I could run 100 meters in 17 seconds......

No you can't

I said most, my guess after meeting you, you certainly can. But imagine being 90 years old and doing it. I hope to still be walking at 90!!!! I will tell you it was the most amazing athletic thing I have ever seen in my life. Normally around 12 thousand participants in St George, UT in early October.

Age is truly a state of mind. When you say you are old, you are. Never quit being the best you can be. Heck no I can not do what I could when I was a kid, but I can still ride my mountain bike and be competitive with the 35-40 year olds that ride with my son. I train my ass off to do that.

I think Riley is like that, he has a goal, he wants to attain that. I am not saying he will, or that he can. But I am sure he is going to give it 100% effort. That is a big step for this program, as I do not believe the last two coaches loved Nebraska or wanted to be here above anyplace else. Riley has made that commitment it seems to me.

I am grounded enough to know that this is taking a chance, but I truly think he can do the job. But must be honest I though Callahan could. I never thought Bo could do the job as you well know.

I hope your predictions are spot on, honestly I can not believe anyone would hope for less. All I say is give the guy a chance.

So if he goes 6-6 for the next 3 or 4 years, it will be ok because he's gone about the process better than Bo?

If you hired a coach for congeniality, then you've got your guy, but I want a coach that will win, and the jury is still out on whether or not he'll be able to do that...

Do you just make up strawman so you have something to argue about? Where did I say 6-6 would be ok? Do you know how bad we would have to be to go 6-6 in this conference? If Pelini, Beck, and Paps can coach em to only 4 losses, yeah I'm very confident Riley and crew can and will do better. And yes that does remain to be proven on field. Are you naysayers suggesting we shut down HB and all football discussion until Riley has a season under his belt? Pretty sick and tired of being reminded that he hasn't actually coached a game yet at Nebraska. For f#*k's sake, can't we enjoy some hope that the guaranteed 4 loss era might be over and, possibly gone with it, the uninspired performances, near misses, unprepared and incomplete games, and the stomach turning blowouts? Is that too f'ing much to ask from some of you?

Strawman? Jesus, you guys throw that around like Bo did "execute"...

You guys act like Riley's going to ride in and save our program when he never got to a CCG and his big bowl win is that he he won the "Sun" twice. He's nicer than Bo seems to be the consensus among those that wanted Bo gone. That doesn't win football games and Riley's pedigree is "eh".

I'm not a naysayer, just apathetic to a guy who's going to be the "nice guy" and probably get the same results as his predecessor. He's probably going to end up like one of those presidents you forgot was president until somebody mentions his name.

I want our team to win, and until I see otherwise I'll have my doubts...

"So if he goes 6-6 for the next 3 or 4 years, it will be ok because he's gone about the process better than Bo?"

That's a strawman. He said it because it is one.

• Fire 1

"So if he goes 6-6 for the next 3 or 4 years, it will be ok because he's gone about the process better than Bo?"

hope this helps...

hy·po·thet·i·cal
ˌhīpəˈTHedək(ə)l/
adjective
adjective: hypothetical
of, based on, or serving as a hypothesis.
"that option is merely hypothetical at this juncture"

From what I can tell, people who are negative about Mike Riley aren't really upset about Bo leaving. I for example am as negative as anybody else on this board, and I'm glad Bo was fired. Nebraska had a chance to make a statement with the hire and blew it. That's what I'm negative about.

+1

yup, we went shopping at WalMart.......we got "potential".........hope it works out.

People are so caught up with this shortsighted notion of needing to "make a statement" with a "splash hire". All that stuff wears off after the first kickoff of the season. We needed a good coach who runs a solid progrum and will get the most out of his players for the next 5+ years. I have no doubt we got that.

• Fire 1

People are so caught up with this shortsighted notion of needing to "make a statement" with a "splash hire". All that stuff wears off after the first kickoff of the season. We needed a good coach who runs a solid progrum and will get the most out of his players for the next 5+ years. I have no doubt we got that.

Agree with this.

A lot of people think Reilly is going to be here for quite a while while others feel he is only here to get the ball rolling and pick up some accolades along the way. I think he is short term simply due to the fact he said during the USC game he felt this was the right place at the right time and used his age as a way to drive that point home. It just feels like we have a long term plan set in place and that makes me feel good.

I didn't want a coach that "made a statement" or a "splash hire". I think there a lot of us that just wanted a HC hire that "made sense". It makes me wonder how many people had to google "MIke Riley"...

Alvarez tricked Perlman to hire his Trojan horse. In 5 years, Eichorst will be back in Madison having completed Barry Alvarez's goal of making Nebraska permanently mediocre and irrelevant.

Mike Riley will be enjoying a nice fat retirement package courtesy of NU.

wow, that's quite a conspiracy, stay up all night making this one up?

• Fire 1

hope this helps...

hy·po·thet·i·cal
ˌhīpəˈTHedək(ə)l/
adjective
adjective: hypothetical
of, based on, or serving as a hypothesis.
"that option is merely hypothetical at this juncture"

Yeah, it's still a strawman.

• Fire 1

I didn't want a coach that "made a statement" or a "splash hire". I think there a lot of us that just wanted a HC hire that "made sense". It makes me wonder how many people had to google "MIke Riley"...

So, the average fan has to kow who they are for it to make sense? Hardly.