Where do you see Nebraska Football in five years?

NUpolo8

1 or 2 conference championship appearances. I have to ask, what makes Nebraska fans think they will be any better with Riley? I just don't see it but I do like the optimism.

Experience

Dedication to recruiting

Bringing in the fanbase for a greater product.

Better QB development

Better coordinators who aren't piss boys or yes men

It seems to me that at his age you know exactly what you are going to get. Maybe slightly better than his results at Oregon State but not much better. It is just how I see it but maybe he will prove me wrong.

• Fire 1

1 or 2 conference championship appearances. I have to ask, what makes Nebraska fans think they will be any better with Riley? I just don't see it but I do like the optimism.

Experience

Dedication to recruiting

Better QB development

It seems to me that at his age you know exactly what you are going to get. Maybe slightly better than his results at Oregon State but not much better. It is just how I see it but maybe he will prove me wrong.

I tend to agree here. There is something to be said about being a winner and knowing how to do it. By all accounts Mike Riley has not won anything of significance in his coaching career (CFL does not count) Is he at an age where he can afford to learn how to get over the hump? Maybe, but time will tell.

Experience

Dedication to recruiting

Better QB development

I tend to agree here. There is something to be said about being a winner and knowing how to do it. By all accounts Mike Riley has not won anything of significance in his coaching career (CFL does not count) Is he at an age where he can afford to learn how to get over the hump? Maybe, but time will tell.

Cfl doesn't count....interesting.

• Fire 3

I don't see much of a difference in five years. Winning 9 games a year in today's world of college football is very successful in my opinion. I see the Nebraska imagine greatly improved because Riley will conduct himself in a much more positive light. As far as winning titles and making the playoffs I feel Nebraska could reach that level, but several things would need to change. Mike Riley was starting to create lots of negative talk at Oregon St for his lack or unwillingness to change his offensive scheme. Let's just say the PAC 12 was starting to pass him up with the increased innovative offenses. He is also going to take heat and I feel the Nebraska fans will make their voices known quickly about how our defense plays. I also see more penalties than former Nebraska teams.

Experience

Dedication to recruiting

Better QB development

can't count the CFL since that goes against his premise.

I see us winning the West, but I'm not sure about any B1G titles. Ohio State is/was a one team pony in the B1G. They are loaded with talent. Even though Hoke didn't pan out at Michigan, they are loaded with talent. Harbaugh is a good coach, and he will eventually give Urban a run for his money. Riley isn't on the same footing yet with Ohio State and Michigan in terms of talent. I don't think he can stack the cupboard in just five short years. I see us being competitive with the opportunity for a B1G title and a potential place in the playoff.

If Michigan St can do it, Nebraska sure the hell can. We just need to find the right guy. And it's quite possible we have. We just dont know yet. But to write us off cuz someone appears to be better isnt no good. Indiana marched into Columbus and almost pulled off the win. Anyone can beat anyone.

Michigan State under Dantonio has only won one outright B1G title. The predictor was the first five years. Yes, I think we'll be in similar circumstances with Michigan State where we're at least competitive. In the first five years, we are going to be in a talent disadvantage to Ohio State and Michigan. There's a reason Ohio State hasn't lost a regular season B1G game. Meyer walked into a program with a mountain of talent. Riley didn't.

I find it endlessly interesting how Nebraska's talent level seems to evolve with the argument.

Evolve from what to what? We have some talent. However, we do not have a stacked cupboard like Ohio State and Michigan unless you discount every recruiting service out there. The areas where we are the most deficient in talent are the OL and LB. It matters very little how stacked we are at the skill positions on offense because the OL talent quite simply isn't there. I don't know how Riley is supposed to drastically upgrade there in five short years. Our run defense has been horrid as of late. I think we have decent talent at DL, but we have little to no talent at LB. Again, in five short years it will be tough to drastically upgrade here. This entire thread is about the first five years. We have enough talent deficiencies against the likes of Michigan and Ohio State to keep us from a B1G title. I compare our first five years under Riley to Michigan State right now. They are competitive and very well coached. However, we saw how they did when they put their talent up against Ohio State and Oregon. In terms of coaching, Michigan State is about as good as it gets. They remind me of KState. This is where I think Riley takes us in his first five years.

• Fire 1

I compare our first five years under Riley to Michigan State right now. They are competitive and very well coached. However, we saw how they did when they put their talent up against Ohio State and Oregon. In terms of coaching, Michigan State is about as good as it gets. They remind me of KState. This is where I think Riley takes us in his first five years.

This, I think, is a good target to aim for.

And I agree -- this team is far from stacked. Over the past few years there's been a lot of "Bo's recruiting is a problem" and a lot of "Wait, it really isn't." I think we're going to find out which was closer to the mark. I don't think anyone can say for sure right now.

Experience

Dedication to recruiting

Better QB development

I think you can count it but I don't know how much weight the CFL holds. I wouldn't use it to defend him as a good hire but it certainly doesn't make him a bad hire.

There are too many teams in the Big 10 having this exact same conversation, believing their legacy, coaching staff, existing talent and promising recruits demands nothing less than division and conference championships. Immediately or very, very soon.

It's not gonna happen for everybody. Nebraska is not uniquely positioned. We're just in the thick of the mix.

I love the change at Nebraska and maintain my optimism, but I'm kinda done with numerical expectations. My hope is that we breakaway from the Minnesota/Northwestern/Penn State/Iowa tier of the Big 10, and start striking legitimate fear into the Ohio State, Michigan State, Wisconsin wing of the conference.

If we don't see improvement in the next five years, I expect to blame the SEC, ESPN and Tim Beck.

• Fire 2

Experience

Dedication to recruiting

Better QB development

CFL field is absurd.....have you seen that thing? Its 150 yds long and the end zones take up half an American football field. Anyone could score with that much space to work with.

Experience

Dedication to recruiting

Better QB development

CFL field is absurd.....have you seen that thing? Its 150 yds long and the end zones take up half an American football field. Anyone could score with that much space to work with.

The average points scored in the cfl this year was 25.90. As a comparison, Nebraska's was 37.76.

Experience

Dedication to recruiting

Better QB development

The average points scored in the cfl this year was 25.90. As a comparison, Nebraska's was 37.76.

Stop letting facts cloud your judgement......

And its CANADIAN, you just cant trust them.....especially their football.