Where do you see Nebraska Football in five years?

NUpolo8

I knew who Mike Riley was and where he was from. I would consider myself an average fan. I just had to some research as to why this would be a logical choice.

Bottom line? So many of you let yourself get soooo caught up in the Tressel crap, that any hire wouldve been a massive letdown.

Same thing goes with the want for "big name coordinators or position coaches" Who? Who you get? Do we even know who's out there?

• Fire 3

I knew who Mike Riley was and where he was from. I would consider myself an average fan. I just had to some research as to why this would be a logical choice.

Bottom line? So many of you let yourself get soooo caught up in the Tressel crap, that any hire wouldve been a massive letdown.

Same thing goes with the want for "big name coordinators or position coaches" Who? Who you get? Do we even know who's out there?

Wait... are you suggesting Tressel isn't coming to Nebraska? When did this happen?? I'm still wearing my sweater vest.

Wait... are you suggesting Tressel isn't coming to Nebraska? When did this happen?? I'm still wearing my sweater vest.

Its still possible. Im sure he'll be willing 4-5 years from now once he's fired from YSU for not giving Bo everything he needs.

People are so caught up with this shortsighted notion of needing to "make a statement" with a "splash hire". All that stuff wears off after the first kickoff of the season. We needed a good coach who runs a solid progrum and will get the most out of his players for the next 5+ years. I have no doubt we got that.

I didn't want a coach that "made a statement" or a "splash hire". I think there a lot of us that just wanted a HC hire that "made sense". It makes me wonder how many people had to google "MIke Riley"...

You might need to explain this. You say that it didn't have to make a statement or be a splash hire, just that "a lot of us" (apparently the same thing as "you") wanted a HC hire that made sense. Then the only example you give of the hire not making sense is that some people may have had to google Mike Riley to figure out who he was. I, btw, had to google him to figure it out. Where we start to drift apart is, now that I know a whole hell of a lot more about him, I think it makes perfect sense and was a great hire and he will be just what we need.

So the questions are;

1- Why/How do you think this hire doesn't make sense? Surely, since you have stated a "splash hire" is not what you wanted, there has to be something to base your disappointment on other than some people didn't know who he was.

2- Name a hire(s) we could've made that would not be considered a "splash hire" and then explain how this other person(s) would make more sense.

Sorry, I just really don't understand the disappointment some have in the Riley hire. I understand apprehension that he will do no better here than the Oregon State team did while he was there but, I really try to hope that people can recognize that this is Nebraska and that was OSU. Lots of factors there that would negatively affect the W-L record other than the name of the coach.

• Fire 1

You might need to explain this. You say that it didn't have to make a statement or be a splash hire, just that "a lot of us" (apparently the same thing as "you") wanted a HC hire that made sense. Then the only example you give of the hire not making sense is that some people may have had to google Mike Riley to figure out who he was. I, btw, had to google him to figure it out. Where we start to drift apart is, now that I know a whole hell of a lot more about him, I think it makes perfect sense and was a great hire and he will be just what we need.

i think of all the good coaches out there that would have had to be googled to know who they were.

a few good examples of coaches that could have been good fits that the average fan would have had to google: bronco mendenhall, mark hudspeth, mcelwain (before he blew up), moglia, and so on and so forth.

there are a lot more good coaches that were likely to come here that you would have to google than you could name off the top of your head.

"So if he goes 6-6 for the next 3 or 4 years, it will be ok because he's gone about the process better than Bo?"

That's a strawman. He said it because it is one.

hope this helps...

hy·po·thet·i·cal
ˌhīpəˈTHedək(ə)l/
adjective
adjective: hypothetical
of, based on, or serving as a hypothesis.
"that option is merely hypothetical at this juncture"

Yeah, it's still a strawman.

Then how is it a "strawman"?

People are so caught up with this shortsighted notion of needing to "make a statement" with a "splash hire". All that stuff wears off after the first kickoff of the season. We needed a good coach who runs a solid progrum and will get the most out of his players for the next 5+ years. I have no doubt we got that.

I didn't want a coach that "made a statement" or a "splash hire". I think there a lot of us that just wanted a HC hire that "made sense". It makes me wonder how many people had to google "MIke Riley"...

So, the average fan has to kow who they are for it to make sense? Hardly.

So hiring Mike Riley made sense to you, even though you didn't know who he was?

• Fire 1

So the questions are;

1- Why/How do you think this hire doesn't make sense? Surely, since you have stated a "splash hire" is not what you wanted, there has to be something to base your disappointment on other than some people didn't know who he was.

2- Name a hire(s) we could've made that would not be considered a "splash hire" and then explain how this other person(s) would make more sense.

Sorry, I just really don't understand the disappointment some have in the Riley hire. I understand apprehension that he will do no better here than the Oregon State team did while he was there but, I really try to hope that people can recognize that this is Nebraska and that was OSU. Lots of factors there that would negatively affect the W-L record other than the name of the coach.

MR's record is troubling, record against top 25 opponents, no CCG appearances and that he essentially is a "nicer" version of Bo...

There isn't anyone out there that would have been a "splash" hire. Harbaugh wasn't going to come here, which you and I both knew. In fact there weren't any coaches out there that would have been considered a splash hire outside of Harbaugh. I even said before that if we were to fire Bo, who would we get that would be worthwhile, and the answer was that I couldn't think of anyone. In all the fire Bo threads this year and last, I asked again and again, you guys want him gone so bad, who were you gonna get to replace him? And you'd get the requisite Moglia, Patterson, Frost, Fitzgerald, etc...

What it comes down to is Eichorst made the safe hire in MR. If it craps out you'll hear, "wasn't ready for the big time yet", 'we saw this coming", or something else to that effect...

So, in a nutshell and in your opinion, there were no worthwhile coaches that would come here and therefore we should have kept Bo? That is a pretty defeatist outlook.

IMO, Bo had to go and a trained monkey would've been an improvement. There were plenty of coaches that we could've got and that would've come to Nebraska. But yeah, you're right, the Harbaugh's, Saban's, Meyer's of the world weren't ever going to come. Not because Nebraska is not a good job or because we fired a 9 win coach but because it simply wouldn't have been a big enough upgrade over their current situation, or in Harbaugh's case, because he would never pick us over Michigan.

You're still not helping me understand your disappointment in Riley. Apparently you feel Riley, only a nicer version of Bo, will do no better than Bo and therefore we should've just accepted the guaranteed 4 losses, embarrassing blowouts, failure to ever adjust, and unprofessional behavior. Personally, I would rather risk not having the unimpressive guaranteed 9 wins and strive for something better. Neither one of us knows if Riley will do better, the same, or worse than Bo until he has actually coached some games here. But the optimist in me thinks Riley do better and will be a much needed upgrade over Bo in the HC position. There is no scenario I can see where it could possibly be any worse. And remember, Bo's 9 wins meant absolutely dick to me. I want to see this team win games that matter, not simply squeak by the very many poor teams on our typical schedule. As far as I'm concerned, Pellllini's 9-4 records might as well have been 2-10, no diffto me. I'm not hung up on a meaningless record, much more interested in how the team performs.

• Fire 2

The only thing that didn't make sense to me was there were so many people who didn't know who Mike Riley is.

He's a pretty well-known guy in the world of college football.

No kidding here. I get that a lot of folks only focus on Nebraska football, but shoot Oregon State seemed like they were on ESPN's Thursday Night Game all the time. I still remember when they upset #1 USC in 2008, Quizz Rodgers ran for like 200 yards.

I knew who he was.

I knew who Bill Callahan was when he was hired. Does that make that hire "make sense" now that we have learned more about him? Knowing who Riley was at the time he was hired has nothing at all to do with determining if the hire made sense. Stupidest argument I've heard in a while. Sure, initially for a couple days, it seemed to be a head scratcher but, after finding out more about him, it makes perfect sense and seems to be an excellent hire to me.

What else ya got as a reason to be such a doubter? What exactly is wrong with Riley? Please tell me you can differentiate his record at OSU from his capabilities as a coach. By almost any metric, it is easy to see that he generally performed better as a coach than a person should at OSU. Likewise, it also plain to see that Pelini way underperformed at a place like Nebraska. Show me what I'm missing here?

• Fire 2