WSJ - Why the Oregon Ducks don't believe in yelling

A coach that yells and loses is a hothead.

A coach that yells and wins is passionate.

A coach that doesn't yell and loses is weak under pressure.

A coach that doesn't yell and wins is calm under pressure.

It doesn't matter which style you use - your record drives the narrative.

exactly. Some have a knack for their style and some dont. Obviously, Bo's style doesnt work for him. It never had much positive impact at all. When Bo lost it, so did the team.

And this deal about "yelling" has kinda taken a bad turn. Every coach yells. Again, it's more about the message than the delivery. What are you really accomplishing while yelling, and what are the circumstances?

LOL, I was going to quote a member but after scrolling down, I would have had to quote many members in this tread.

If yelling is so bad, then tell me exactly how bad Alabama is doing this and the last 4 years. Man up and do the job your getting paid to do or get yourself an apron and get into the kitchen where you belong.

Raising your voice can be effective. I think it loses its effect if you do it all the time, though.

We're still going to have yellers on the staff (watch some Cav on YouTube). There's a difference between yelling to get a point across and screaming because you can't control your emotions. The latter is never an effective teaching tool.

You nailed it. I played football for 11 years. Coached for 8.

There's nothing wrong raising your voice and being firm. The best educators of anything are the ones with the patience and ability to communicate their message clearly.

You want a kid to shutdown the operation? Yell at him for making mistakes in practice. It's funny how coaches think yelling is the answer, yet most of the time it's the coaches who don't coach efficiently.

I played hockey thru the college level & have had many different types of coaches. I could easily say I don't remember ever having a coach who didn't yell. The really good coaches did both teach & yell. They knew when they needed to yell & when they needed to teach.

One of the problems today is kids seem very emotional these days. It might sound wierd, but I really think it has to do with all the stuff that is put into food & all the extra hormones put into milk & meat.

LOL wut....

This does not happen.

As a high school teacher who sees truckloads of entitlement walk through my classroom door every day, as well as being knowledgeable on our food system, I can tell you with 100% certainty that it has nothing to do with hormones being put into meat and milk. It has everything to do with parents not giving their kids a whipping (not literally) when they need it.

In the past, a kid would go home from school, tell their parents that a teacher yelled at them, and the parent would respond in favor of the teacher, no questions asked. Today, a kid comes home with that report, and the parent calls the administration to set up a parent-teacher meeting.

I don't like where it's heading, but there's no question that there has been a major shift in parenting styles in the past 10-15 years and that's why these kids don't respond to yelling.

With that said, I have parents who were always hard on me (in a good way) growing up. I still didn't enjoy being yelled at, partly because I'm my own toughest critic on just about anything, especially when it comes to sports. When I mess up, I don't need someone screaming at me and destroying my confidence. I need to know what I did wrong and how to fix it. That's how kids today operate as well.

That concept, I am totally fine with. I've been a head coach now for 2 years. The first year, I had tremendous leadership and there was a high sense of accountability on the team, so I was able to let loose a little and coach in a very calm manner. This past season, my group lacked leadership until the end of the season, so I had to be a lot harder on them than I really like to be. I'm continually working on trying to get a feel for the kids I'm working with and the style that they need to be coached, because that's what I feel good coaches do very well.

I tend to think that a kid who has a lot of stability and love and nurchuring in the home can handle a little bit of yelling. If a kid gets yelled at home when he knows he has purposefully done wrong and his parents still love and support him it can be effective. If a kid is constantly getting yelled at and never feels loved or accepted or encouraged than he just associates the yelling with feelings of mistrust. I think this is partly the reason that so many kids don't respond to yelling in this day and age. I think its a combination of very little time spent with parents due to economic realities and absentee parents.

There's a lot more to it than if a coach yells or not. If he has established the proper foundation and is respected by the players, then he can be effective whether or not he yells. If the players don't respect him or feel the coach hasn't held up his end, then yelling will backfire on him. And from past experience I can tell you that generally girls won't respond very well to yelling or criticism in sports. Boys used to handle it better but I have seen some wussification expand over the last twenty years. I think a lot of it is due to 2 things; the expansion of the everybody is a winner, is owed a trophy for playing, there are no losers mindset that is pushed on kids from an early age and, secondly because the old school yelling type coach is no longer as socially acceptable. I may be getting old and crotchety but the touchy feely BS has taken a bit of a toll.

But basically, if you're a good coach and have earned your players respect either way will probably work for you. And there are some players that one or the other way will never work with.

You want a kid to shutdown the operation? Yell at him for making mistakes in practice. It's funny how coaches think yelling is the answer, yet most of the time it's the coaches who don't coach efficiently.

I played hockey thru the college level & have had many different types of coaches. I could easily say I don't remember ever having a coach who didn't yell. The really good coaches did both teach & yell. They knew when they needed to yell & when they needed to teach.

One of the problems today is kids seem very emotional these days. It might sound wierd, but I really think it has to do with all the stuff that is put into food & all the extra hormones put into milk & meat.

LOL wut....

This does not happen.

As a high school teacher who sees truckloads of entitlement walk through my classroom door every day, as well as being knowledgeable on our food system, I can tell you with 100% certainty that it has nothing to do with hormones being put into meat and milk. It has everything to do with parents not giving their kids a whipping (not literally) when they need it.

In the past, a kid would go home from school, tell their parents that a teacher yelled at them, and the parent would respond in favor of the teacher, no questions asked. Today, a kid comes home with that report, and the parent calls the administration to set up a parent-teacher meeting.

I don't like where it's heading, but there's no question that there has been a major shift in parenting styles in the past 10-15 years and that's why these kids don't respond to yelling.

Yes, and why is that? It has to do with the way those parents were raised as kids, right? I honestly can't say but man, parents are SOFT these days. It's annoying.

LOL wut....

This does not happen.

Yes, and why is that? It has to do with the way those parents were raised as kids, right? I honestly can't say but man, parents are SOFT these days. It's annoying.

I do agree that kids need to have their butts kicked every once & awhile & parents don't do that like they use to.

As for the bolded, do a little research. There are millions of articles about how it is increasing hormone levels & early puberty. Look into soy as well.