WSJ - Why the Oregon Ducks don't believe in yelling

You want a kid to shutdown the operation? Yell at him for making mistakes in practice. It's funny how coaches think yelling is the answer, yet most of the time it's the coaches who don't coach efficiently.

I played hockey thru the college level & have had many different types of coaches. I could easily say I don't remember ever having a coach who didn't yell. The really good coaches did both teach & yell. They knew when they needed to yell & when they needed to teach.

One of the problems today is kids seem very emotional these days. It might sound wierd, but I really think it has to do with all the stuff that is put into food & all the extra hormones put into milk & meat.

post-1055-0-73007400-1420732192_thumb.jpg

• Fire 1

You want a kid to shutdown the operation? Yell at him for making mistakes in practice. It's funny how coaches think yelling is the answer, yet most of the time it's the coaches who don't coach efficiently.

I played hockey thru the college level & have had many different types of coaches. I could easily say I don't remember ever having a coach who didn't yell. The really good coaches did both teach & yell. They knew when they needed to yell & when they needed to teach.

One of the problems today is kids seem very emotional these days. It might sound wierd, but I really think it has to do with all the stuff that is put into food & all the extra hormones put into milk & meat.

giphy.gif

I graduated within the last 7 years. My coach yelled at all of us, his assistants, and even the other teams head coach. My coach grabbed facemasks said things like 'I don't think you're big enough to start this game'. My coach used foul language. I would do anything for this man and I have no doubt anyone whos played worked for him would day the same thing. Oh and he wins more games than anyone else. I feel this no yelling thing is part of the everyone is special crowd. I don't support it and would love to see some research on the topic.

Years ago I ran into someone who knew one of my old football coaches and she even said his methods would not be allowed today. He was a yeller but never belittled a player. He was a great teacher, motivator, but very emotional. We never lost a game and were never afraid of failure. Times have changed and there will be fewer and fewer of these coaches.

My son plays hockey and is coached by a male and a female coach. They are both great coaches and work perfectly together. There was a game where she had sole coaching duties and she can be a bit of a yeller, but with 9 and 10 year olds you have to be that way to keep their heads in the game. My son had a bad pass and was pulled from the game immediately, and it was the right thing to do. After the game I think she was worried that I would be offended at what transpired, and I was not at all. A mistake was made, he was informed and was back in the game after a little thinking time. It was well handled and coached. I think kids as well as parents need to have a little bit thicker skin.

I graduated within the last 7 years. My coach yelled at all of us, his assistants, and even the other teams head coach. My coach grabbed facemasks said things like 'I don't think you're big enough to start this game'. My coach used foul language. I would do anything for this man and I have no doubt anyone whos played worked for him would day the same thing. Oh and he wins more games than anyone else. I feel this no yelling thing is part of the everyone is special crowd. I don't support it and would love to see some research on the topic.

yes, and less give everyone a trophy and a blackshirt.......out of control is one thing.......Pelini was a f'ing idiot......raising your voice selectively is another

And lastly, it's not just about yelling, it's the message. What is being taught.

Most important thing you stated with your post here Count is the last line.

With regards to Bo, the guy was out of his mind and although the players said they would do anything for the man, I can't imagine once these same kids grow into their shoes a little more, they will look back on some of his tantrums and recognize he went over board which like you stated caused the team to implode! +1 Count

It's no different. If it were you'd see more out of shape lazy teams and not teams that could stomp pro football teams from the 70s and 80s.

People will respond to feedback but if the feedback is wrong and they know it, it doesn't matter how quietly or loudly it was delivered.

That said, any person acting like a Pelini coach to employees in the working world would be fired. Even from McDonalds.

I wasn't a yeller and screamer when I was a coach. Nor was I a coach that 'befriended' players.

Teaching, getting to know players on a personal level, and humanizing yourself speaks volumes to a player instead of screaming and hollering at them.

That being said - I did raise my voice at certain times, and it was usually during a game. But it was always followed up with TEACHING.

Don't scream at a guy then walk off. Scream, teach, pat em on the azz, and say get em next time.

I think kids as well as parents need to have a little bit thicker skin.

I had to find this out the hard way with my kids as well. Kids in today's society are motivated differently. You have to move with the times. Can't raise a kid the same way we were raised.

You don't have to upturn the entire apple cart, but you can take some older apples out and put newer ones in.

Bo yelled because he was insecure. He wasn't coaching or teaching anyone. He was spitting and spewing cuss words even at his assistant coaches from start to finish of each game.

Not true. He has and always be a yeller. He yelled as an assistant coach and he yelled as a head coach. That is who he is and that is 1 way to get your point across. I loved it after a series last year when Afalava had a bad series Bo ripped him a new 1 and he responded and played well the rest of the game. Everyone loved it and how he lit a fire under a young player who wasnt performing to potential. Bo wasnt yelling to fix mistakes and letting Afalava know he messed up, he was yelling bc he was insecure.