WSJ - Why the Oregon Ducks don't believe in yelling

I understand what you are saying. I am grouping it all together as being not strong enough to stand up for what is right. It just bugs me that you can commit murder, and it really wasn't your fault, it was someone's fault years ago, or your neighbor for his music too loud or cutting you off at an intersection. Never the guilty person, always somebody else. Take responsibility for your mistakes, accept the punishment and go forward.

And in honesty, that is exactly what Mr. Moss is doing. He seems to have the right idea about this. He is young and his whole life ahead of him, grab the opportunity at another program. I should not have worded it that way, Moraine will be here in a minute to correct me!

I am going to check with the Marine Corps on this. I feel confident in saying that they have not adopted this philosophy.

Honey child, you sweet little darling could you grab the metal thing over there and run up the hill towards the guy firing rubber bullets at you. Your so cute.

What a load of crap.

Yes it may work for Oregon, but let them lose 7 or 8 games and see what happens to this pet the kitty attitude.

My gawd we have turned into a land full of PC pussies!

Well after being taken to the woodshed last night by Ohio State, perhaps they need to start yelling. Looked soft to me, but I didn't expect much more from the PAC 12. The conference as a whole has never impressed me with their defense or physical play. USC under Carroll being the exception. Sometimes yelling and lighting a fire is required for motivation. Some kids respond others don't. Good coaches know what buttons to push and when to push it.

• Fire 1

Well after being taken to the woodshed last night by Ohio State, perhaps they need to start yelling. Looked soft to me, but I didn't expect much more from the PAC 12. The conference as a whole has never impressed me with their defense or physical play. USC under Carroll being the exception. Sometimes yelling and lighting a fire is required for motivation. Some kids respond others don't. Good coaches know what buttons to push and when to push it.

They could have had R. Lee Ermey last night. Wouldn't have mattered.

They got punched in the mouth by a more physical football team last night. And the kicker is - had the Buckeyes not turned the ball over 4 times, it would have been a lot worse.

As a former coach I very rarely believed in yelling. When an athlete made a mistake I found it was most effective to first ask him what he saw and then explain to him what he needed to do and why.

I find that yelling for every little mistake is the product of a by-gone era that needs to be put to rest. I coached with some coaches who yelled at every little thing and I found that the athletes didn't improve as much over the year with these coaches.

With coaches that constantly yelled I found the teams played more tight. With coaches who tried to talk to them I found the teams were more relaxed and generally made less mistakes.

There is definitely a time and place to get on someone but I believe it should be the exception and not the rule.

Wait, so they win if their coaches yell at the players?

Hooooo Kay.

Oregon was not winning last night, even if the coaches were on the field playing! A total physical miss match.

I remember listening to pre 25 on Sirius, and Packer or one of the Hypsman guys said that Ohio State was the most physically fit teams he had ever seen. Linemen over 300 pounds, but six packs and definition. If it was going to be won by who looked best getting off the bus, Ohio State would win hands down.

That is what it looked like last night. Impressive group of kids no question.

I ask this again, have any of you ever seen Scott Frost on the sideline photos. I am sure Moraine thinks a good looking guy, but he gives some looks that would make you want him to scream at you. Close at times of those of our past coach. Sometimes a look does more than a yell.

I ask this again, have any of you ever seen Scott Frost on the sideline photos. I am sure Moraine thinks a good looking guy, but he gives some looks that would make you want him to scream at you. Close at times of those of our past coach. Sometimes a look does more than a yell.

The Utah Jazz coach called a time out once earlier this season and did nothing but stare at the players. After he stared at them they came back and won the game so message received with no yelling. Just wanted to point that out and I know it was basketball but yelling helps and it can eat at others. The basketball team at my high school would play poorly and they did better, but not until coach had to yell or scream at them before they got it together and improved.