WSJ - Why the Oregon Ducks don't believe in yelling

Weird. Everyone sounding like old men complaining about kids these days. Just like my grandpa back in the 80s.

Osborne didn't yell. I don't think his teams where soft. He didn't "put on an apron and get in the kitchen".

Riley has already said if the coaches he's hiring aren't effective they won't be working here.

He fired the football department staff down to the just above the people doing the laundry.

People are somehow equating quiet with weak or pushover. The players better not or they'll end up with splinters in their ass from riding the bench.

If you grow up in a house of yellers, you learn to tune out the yelling. So it's not as effective as some think. Plus, in the 21 years of working in offices and on construction sites, I've never heard anything like what came out of Pelini. His sideline demeanor would have gotten him fired at any other job.

The more people make in the "real world" the less they act like a young drunk sailor on leave. $2.7 million should buy more professionalism. But even then, the quiet polished CEO will kick you to the curb if you don't produce.

Weird. Everyone sounding like old men complaining about kids these days. Just like my grandpa back in the 80s.

Osborne didn't yell. I don't think his teams where soft. He didn't "put on an apron and get in the kitchen".

Riley has already said if the coaches he's hiring aren't effective they won't be working here.

He fired the football department staff down to the just above the people doing the laundry.

People are somehow equating quiet with weak or pushover. The players better not or they'll end up with splinters in their ass from riding the bench.

If you grow up in a house of yellers, you learn to tune out the yelling. So it's not as effective as some think. Plus, in the 21 years of working in offices and on construction sites, I've never heard anything like what came out of Pelini. His sideline demeanor would have gotten him fired at any other job.

The more people make in the "real world" the less they act like a young drunk sailor on leave. $2.7 million should buy more professionalism. But even then, the quiet polished CEO will kick you to the curb if you don't produce.

That's cuz McBride and others did for him. Which I think lookin back was a good formula. Craig Bohl and Darlington came off as complete a$$hole$. This was at a football camp I attended. Jamrog seemed like a total tool. It was just my opinion at the time. But lookin back, I think it's wize to have these postition guys handle the hard ass teaching. They spend more time individually with position guys. They probably have a better feel in how they can handle each guys, as opposed to a head coach trying to get a grip on 105 guys. It's also important to have the overall leader (head coach) keep a cool head and stay even keel regardless of the circumtances. Sure you can get upset about this or excited about that here and there, but to ride and emotional roller coaster like you see guys the likes of Bo Pelini, you can it has an impact on the team mentally.

Get off my lawn you little s^^^bag.

Just kidding.

Yelling the true story. It's VERY situational. Time. Place. And most importantly, the people, both the yeller and his target. IMO yelling is usually the wrong idea IF you are leading a competent, mature group and bullets aren't flying. If I were a drill sergeant, I'd yell often. CEO of McKinsey, I might yell twice a year and people would be fired both times.

That's cuz McBride and others did for him. Which I think lookin back was a good formula. Craig Bohl and Darlington came off as complete a$$hole$. This was at a football camp I attended. Jamrog seemed like a total tool. It was just my opinion at the time. But lookin back, I think it's wize to have these postition guys handle the hard ass teaching. They spend more time individually with position guys. They probably have a better feel in how they can handle each guys, as opposed to a head coach trying to get a grip on 105 guys. It's also important to have the overall leader (head coach) keep a cool head and stay even keel regardless of the circumtances. Sure you can get upset about this or excited about that here and there, but to ride and emotional roller coaster like you see guys the likes of Bo Pelini, you can it has an impact on the team mentally.

Very true, I wouldn't say Mcbride was a screamer, but he definitely could use very colorful metaphores

Pete Carroll and his assistants yell, but they rarely if ever curse or demean their players. In my opinion, to each their own I guess. Obviously success has been had both ways. I personally just don't see any reason to tear your players down. It just seems like if you're attacking your player's personally, you're either not a great motivator or not a great teacher. Moments where mistakes are made are great opportunities for growth, why tear down someone who's usually trying their best.

I am going to check with the Marine Corps on this. I feel confident in saying that they have not adopted this philosophy.

Honey child, you sweet little darling could you grab the metal thing over there and run up the hill towards the guy firing rubber bullets at you. Your so cute.

What a load of crap.

Yes it may work for Oregon, but let them lose 7 or 8 games and see what happens to this pet the kitty attitude.

My gawd we have turned into a land full of PC pussies!

Could it be that whether a coach yells or not is irrelevant to being effective?

My personal opinion is that yelling should be reserved for making an emphatic point that will last the rest of the player's career...nay, lifetime. For example, a deliberate personal foul that flips the game or an off field incident that affects a career or the team or even worse could warrant a loud butt chewing...although sometimes a calmer, more measured but menacing Darth Vader like "I find your lack of faith disturbing" response can be even more effective.

As for missing a tackle, blowing a wrong coverage, etc., it is much more important to fix the mistake than belabor it, and that is done just as effectively and more efficiency in a voice just loud enough to be heard over the noise.

Every coach used to yell back when their word was law. 30 years ago whatever coach said, you did, so it didn't matter if he yelled, sang or used sign language - you just did it. Yelling was the culture of coaching, probably stemming from WWII and the fact that so many guys went through boot camp. It was socially acceptable to yell, expected that coaches would yell, so they yelled. If you didn't like it you had no recourse other than to quit the team.

Today kids have options. Coach yells too much? Take it up with the parents, with school administration, with the Ombudsman, take it to the press, or they can just transfer to another school. Combine that with the "special snowflake" mentality ingrained in them since they were in diapers and you have a culture where yelling is far less effective. Coaches have to adapt, or at the least pick their battles better.

I am going to check with the Marine Corps on this. I feel confident in saying that they have not adopted this philosophy.

Honey child, you sweet little darling could you grab the metal thing over there and run up the hill towards the guy firing rubber bullets at you. Your so cute.

What a load of crap.

Yes it may work for Oregon, but let them lose 7 or 8 games and see what happens to this pet the kitty attitude.

I think you'll find boot camp has probably changed a lot since you went through it.

Not saying it's right, I'm just sayin.

I know, I had no idea my mother was capable of doing all things they said she did.

Yes it has, but it is still the same principal. Down grade, destroy identity, build pride. No individuals.

I know most of you have seen full metal jacket, that was but a minute fraction of what Marines went through. The idea was to make you capable of performing under pressure, with stand capture. The battle is still the same. Old Marines always say the later guys have it easier. I say it is different, not easier. Most competitive teams/business follow military guidelines for training, developing leaders.

I have not talked with a young recruit since I left recruiting duty in 84, so I am sure things are different. I know they took the physical abuse out of it, or claimed to. I am sure the sand boxes are still there, the knuckle push ups on concrete/black top.

But hearing young Marines around the area, the language is pretty much the same.

I am really tired of people not being responsible for their actions. It is always some PHD telling it was that his cat was ran over at age 4 and his daddy spanking him at Walmart that destroyed his self esteem. Spank a child, got to jail.

My generation changed the idea of correcting a child.

I went to TJ and was coached by Charles Bryant, a Nebraska great. He also handled correcting problem children with a giant paddle that hurt like hell. He threatened to beat your ass any time you screwed up. He was a great coach, a great man. He always said, do things right, you don't have to worry about consequences. I wrestled and played football for the man. Not an easy deal, but I knew he cared about me, but I knew if I screwed up, what was coming, and my parents dealt the same correction when I got home.

Parents/coaches/teachers/drill instructors are not supposed to be buddies. They set and enforce guidelines, rules to live by.

What a load of crap.

This has literally nothing to do with "PC", and comparing anything else to military service is... well, you shouldn't.

It really is LOM. You can not correct your children. Maybe it is different in Nebraska, not sure. Here in California, you can not spank a child, I am not talking about beating the child but spanking his or butt. The cops will come.

My daughter in law, took a picture of her two children, a Christmas picture. She had some duct tape, very cheap duct tape that barely stuck across their mouths and wrapped them in Christmas lights for a joke picture. Took it Walmart and they called the cops on her. Took the kids and checked them for bruises and mistreatment. Trust me these are two of the most spoiled children in the world.

I am an old timer, I got my butt beat many times at home and at school. Teachers have no control and some fear for their lives in our schools, because no one corrects children, they are their buddies. It is PC to do things this way. Spare the rod, spoil the child. My grandmother said that. Got swatted in high school by a Nebraska great for doing things wrong in class, got the same when I got home. Coach Bryant and my parents would be in jail today for the same thing.

The infamous wait till your father gets home, meant my ass was getting the belt. Did not take many times to know right from wrong.

You can go overboard both ways.

These kids call themselves warriors, they are not. They are spoiled, entitled kids that have everything given to them because they can play a game.

Warriors go in to fight, some times they come home with out legs, arms, eyes or far reduced mental capabilities.

These kids are having fun playing a game that means absolutely nothing, except getting them to the NFL where they can make millions of dollars.

And if you can look at Scott Frost on the sidelines, and think he never raises his voice, that is one angry looking dude sometimes.

I know, I had no idea my mother was capable of doing all things they said she did.

Yes it has, but it is still the same principal. Down grade, destroy identity, build pride. No individuals.

I know most of you have seen full metal jacket, that was but a minute fraction of what Marines went through. The idea was to make you capable of performing under pressure, with stand capture. The battle is still the same. Old Marines always say the later guys have it easier. I say it is different, not easier. Most competitive teams/business follow military guidelines for training, developing leaders.

I have not talked with a young recruit since I left recruiting duty in 84, so I am sure things are different. I know they took the physical abuse out of it, or claimed to. I am sure the sand boxes are still there, the knuckle push ups on concrete/black top.

But hearing young Marines around the area, the language is pretty much the same.

I am really tired of people not being responsible for their actions. It is always some PHD telling it was that his cat was ran over at age 4 and his daddy spanking him at Walmart that destroyed his self esteem. Spank a child, got to jail.

My generation changed the idea of correcting a child.

I went to TJ and was coached by Charles Bryant, a Nebraska great. He also handled correcting problem children with a giant paddle that hurt like hell. He threatened to beat your ass any time you screwed up. He was a great coach, a great man. He always said, do things right, you don't have to worry about consequences. I wrestled and played football for the man. Not an easy deal, but I knew he cared about me, but I knew if I screwed up, what was coming, and my parents dealt the same correction when I got home.

Parents/coaches/teachers/drill instructors are not supposed to be buddies. They set and enforce guidelines, rules to live by.

basically getting your kids ready for life and responsibility....to ensure their success in the face of adversity......not living in mom and dads basement, eating their groceries so they can run out and afford a beemer!......

Political correctness or political correctitude[1] (adjectivally, politically correct; both forms commonly abbreviated to PC) is an attitude or policy of being careful not to offend or upset any group of people in society who are believed to have a disadvantage.

Doesn't apply at all. This doesn't have anything to do with PC, and has everything to do with changes in society, some ways for the better and some for the worse.

Every good story of harsher discipline can be countered with a bad one. My mom's brother committed suicide his freshman year in high school because of, among other things, how badly he was terrorized and abused by his tough-guy macho gym teacher and football coach for being a "sissy".

I'd also like a link to any example of football players calling themselves warriors.

It is a standard comment, has been for years. Christ you don't remember Miami showing up wearing camoflauge, going to war.

It is your opinion, you are certainly entitled to it. That is why I spent 26 years of my life, protecting that right. But I have every right to disagree with your feelings.

• Fire 1