Muslims and terrorism

Though we do enjoy a readership among Muslims inside and outside of the United States, some of whom have not hesitated to express displeasure or worse at our coverage of stories such as the Israel-Palestine conflict, none has seen the Charlie Hebdo cartoons as worth sending an angry email or even an annoyed tweet, much less a threat of violence.Our coverage of Islamophobia has brought a very different response. Articles decrying anti-Muslim bigotry and attacks on mosques have been met with dozens of threats on email and social media.The most common states a desire that jihadist militants will murder the offending writer: a recent email hoped that Muslims will "behead you one day" so that "we will never have to read your trash again." Some directly threaten violence themselves, or imply it with statements such as "May you rot in hell."Others express a desire to murder all Muslims — one simply read "I agree with maher Kill them all" — also often implying the emailed journalist is themselves Muslim. One pledge to attack Vox writers begins, "f#*k you and any c**t who believes in allah."As is often the case, the strongest threats have been reserved for women. One writer received a message arguing that someone should "put a gun up your ass" to make her understand terrorism.Ironically, these threats are typically couched in arguments that Muslims are inherently irrational and violent. Further, threats made with the explicit intention of silencing journalists from discussing Islamophobia are positioned as necessary "defenses" of free speech against the threat of Islam. The people making the threats seem unaware that they are themselves seeking to curb the very free speech they pretend to uphold.

http://www.vox.com/2015/1/14/7541095/charlie-hebdo-muslims-threats

So we shouldn't hate Muslims?

I'm baffled by your question. Do you normally hate complete groups of people that would encompass literally billions of people around the world?
Only Longhorn fans

Though we do enjoy a readership among Muslims inside and outside of the United States, some of whom have not hesitated to express displeasure or worse at our coverage of stories such as the Israel-Palestine conflict, none has seen the Charlie Hebdo cartoons as worth sending an angry email or even an annoyed tweet, much less a threat of violence.Our coverage of Islamophobia has brought a very different response. Articles decrying anti-Muslim bigotry and attacks on mosques have been met with dozens of threats on email and social media.The most common states a desire that jihadist militants will murder the offending writer: a recent email hoped that Muslims will "behead you one day" so that "we will never have to read your trash again." Some directly threaten violence themselves, or imply it with statements such as "May you rot in hell."Others express a desire to murder all Muslims — one simply read "I agree with maher Kill them all" — also often implying the emailed journalist is themselves Muslim. One pledge to attack Vox writers begins, "f#*k you and any c**t who believes in allah."As is often the case, the strongest threats have been reserved for women. One writer received a message arguing that someone should "put a gun up your ass" to make her understand terrorism.Ironically, these threats are typically couched in arguments that Muslims are inherently irrational and violent. Further, threats made with the explicit intention of silencing journalists from discussing Islamophobia are positioned as necessary "defenses" of free speech against the threat of Islam. The people making the threats seem unaware that they are themselves seeking to curb the very free speech they pretend to uphold.

I'm baffled by your question. Do you normally hate complete groups of people that would encompass literally billions of people around the world?
Only Longhorn fans

The city of Seattle.

Don't necessarily hate them but I wouldn't trust one for any reason and I sure as hell don't want to get on a plane with one.

T_O_B

• Fire 3

Don't necessarily hate them but I wouldn't trust one for any reason and I sure as hell don't want to get on a plane with one.

T_O_B

Wow.

• Fire 3

T_O_B

Wow.

That actually got a +1?

T_O_B

So... Ameer Abdullah - bad guy? Abdul Muhammad - bad guy?

Surely you don't mean all Muslims. Right?

T_O_B

Wow.

...and what does, "Wow" mean?

T_O_B

T_O_B

"Bad guy" and trust are two different things. Trust needs to be earned and in my world its a tuff test to pass.

T_O_B

OK, OK. Let's not go all Woodshed here. We allow a bit more pointed conversations in Politics & Religion because of the nature of the discussions in this forum, but let's not get out-and-out antagonistic.

That goes for both of you. Please and thank you.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled discussion.

OK, OK. Let's not go all Woodshed here. We allow a bit more pointed conversations in Politics & Religion because of the nature of the discussions in this forum, but let's not get out-and-out antagonistic.

That goes for both of you. Please and thank you.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled discussion.

Sorry Knap. Went a little overboard there.

T_O_B

T_O_B

"Bad guy" and trust are two different things. Trust needs to be earned and in my world its a tuff test to pass.

T_O_B

What other generally defined people groups don't you trust besides Muslims?