Langsdorf Offensive Philosophy

Mavric

Am I the only one that cringes when I see "West Coast"

If we run this offense it is going to be with great benefit. Being in the B1G teams will stop the run either regularly or occasionally. Isn't the Pro set the best way to get teams defenses unbalanced? Plus we have a staff with a lot of experience running it. I would not mind giving it another chance.

Tommy is getting proper coaching so lets see what he can do before we say that Tommy can't take care of the ball. How do you know Stanton takes care of the ball more than Tommy? I guess we will see during the Spring game who does well but the spring game doesn't show who the starter is because players have shown they played well during the spring but can't do well on Saturdays. I say we see how good TA is with this staff before we say Stanton is better because Tommy has a bigger Arm which is big now in college football and is a plus for this offense. I think Tommy starts until Stanton proves he is better and I expect both of these players to get at it this off-season.

Tommy having a big arm does not mean he is better thn Stanton it just makes the offense that much more dangerous.

I hope Tommy starts this year btw

Tommy having a big arm doesn't make him better if he can't make the short/medium throws as well. And honestly, if I can't have a QB that can make all the throws, then I'll take one that can make the short/medium throws.

Did you read the bolded part, Tommy 16-5 as a starter Stanton 0-0 so yea Stanton is undefeated but Tommy has shown flashes and had a slump in November but this staff will make Tommy a better short and mid range passer and use his big arm as an advantage I think.

Grant Muessel@Muessel 1h1 hour ago

Spent a good 45 minutes with Danny Langsdorf today. Biggest takeaway? He values accuracy most in QBs. mobility is preferred, but secondary.

Langsdorf said his vision is that the offense will resemble his influences in the past - Mike McCarthy (Packers) and Ben McAdoo (Giants)...

As well as thing they've established at Oregon State.

Style wise, he wants run-pass balance with some West Coast principles; bubbles, play-action threat and stretch running. Lots of shotgun sets

Adaptability will be huge until this staff can get a few recruiting cycles in. Historically they haven't done much zone read stuff.

Langsdorf said priority No. 1 with the offense as a whole will be ball security. He's a believer in the advanced stats on turnovers.

I'm so freaking jacked for this next season.

I've forgotten what it's like to have competent coaches at my favorite University.

If these players commit, work hard, focus in on themselves and forget worrying about everybody else, we could be watching a new team next year. Sound, clean, fundamental football. Let's start there and the rest will follow. I think these coaches are the right people at th right time for this program.

I got a great feeling about the future. Mainly because I believe when these coaches say the right things - which they've done - they mean what they say.

Tommy is getting proper coaching so lets see what he can do before we say that Tommy can't take care of the ball. How do you know Stanton takes care of the ball more than Tommy? I guess we will see during the Spring game who does well but the spring game doesn't show who the starter is because players have shown they played well during the spring but can't do well on Saturdays. I say we see how good TA is with this staff before we say Stanton is better because Tommy has a bigger Arm which is big now in college football and is a plus for this offense. I think Tommy starts until Stanton proves he is better and I expect both of these players to get at it this off-season.

Tommy having a big arm does not mean he is better thn Stanton it just makes the offense that much more dangerous.

I hope Tommy starts this year btw

Tommy having a big arm doesn't make him better if he can't make the short/medium throws as well. And honestly, if I can't have a QB that can make all the throws, then I'll take one that can make the short/medium throws.

Did you read the bolded part, Tommy 16-5 as a starter Stanton 0-0 so yea Stanton is undefeated but Tommy has shown flashes and had a slump in November but this staff will make Tommy a better short and mid range passer and use his big arm as an advantage I think.

Tommy having a big arm doesn't make the offense more dangerous if he can't make the short and medium throws. I'm hopeful this staff can help Tommy in that regard.

I'm not arguing who is better, Stanton or Armstrong but I can see where I should have chosen my words more wisely. To clarify, I was speaking strictly about Tommy's ability as a QB. My apologies for not being more clear the first time.

A lot-and I MEAN A LOT-of Tommy's "accuracy" were due more to and an indictment on the system and lack of communication and "being on the same page" with the receivers. Timing issues. Lack of coaching. I wint write Tommy off yet from a passer perspective until we see what he can do compared to the others with what SHOULD be more competent qb teaching.

A lot-and I MEAN A LOT-of Tommy's "accuracy" were due more to and an indictment on the system and lack of communication and "being on the same page" with the receivers. Timing issues. Lack of coaching. I wint write Tommy off yet from a passer perspective until we see what he can do compared to the others with what SHOULD be more competent qb teaching.

This is very likely some of it but I wouldn't say "a lot". He struggles throwing screens, short outs and curls when there is no miscommunication, just a miss.

Plus, his completion percentage is significantly worse than a certain other quarterback with whom we're all familiar who had horrendous mechanics but ran the same system.

That, and footwork.

• Fire 1

Look at Marcus Mariota....only one game this season with more than 100 yards rushing. He is a true dual threat. A running qb who can't pass isn't a dual threat. A qb who can pass and keep the D honest with the ability to run is.

I would gladly take Mariota (I know he is a rarity) and his 68% completion rate any day of the week over a 50% guy who can run......

IMO, this year teams stacked the box as we have yet to truly have a dual threat qb. With coaching and a defined system, TA might be that guy. I just know that when teams stacked Oregon, Mariota's arm made them pay......

• Fire 1

This is very likely some of it but I wouldn't say "a lot". He struggles throwing screens, short outs and curls when there is no miscommunication, just a miss.

Plus, his completion percentage is significantly worse than a certain other quarterback with whom we're all familiar who had horrendous mechanics but ran the same system.

those fall inder the timing issues. Flat passes and bubble screens are some of the most difficult passses to put on the money. Remember when Bell went down against Mich St and we were tryin to throw bubbles to Tariq and Alonzo, they were way off. There was no chemistry and timing between the two. Tommy throws a great deep ball. Cant do that without some accuracy. Not sayin he doesnt have any issues, just that what issues he does have seemed to expanded upon by the system and various other circumstances.

those fall inder the timing issues. Flat passes and bubble screens are some of the most difficult passses to put on the money. Remember when Bell went down against Mich St and we were tryin to throw bubbles to Tariq and Alonzo, they were way off. There was no chemistry and timing between the two. Tommy throws a great deep ball. Cant do that without some accuracy. Not sayin he doesnt have any issues, just that what issues he does have seemed to expanded upon by the system and various other circumstances.

They aren't timing issues when you're throwing them 5 feet over the guys heads. Outs and curls are about as easy of throws as you get - short and to a fairly stationary or moving generally away from you mean the timing doesn't have to be perfect.

I'll give you the WR screens as tougher to complete but I was talking about RB screens which are literally the easiest to throw.

TA threw slightly more than a 50 percent completion percentage in his first two seasons as a QB. I don't think you can chalk all of that up to just communication errors and bad coaching. We all remember the option routes or certain plays from this year that seemed to end with TA throwing one direction and his WR going the other. But, I also vividly remember at least three-to-five throws a game that just weren't where they needed to be - in the dirt, sailing over a receiver's head, too far behind, etc.

Taylor Martinez' completion percentages were 59, 56, 62 and 62.7. Armstrong's have been 51 and 53 percent. Could he improve under the new staff? Certainly, but I know a lot of scouts feel accuracy is typically one of those things you just have or you don't, and it's tough to drastically improve. All that mechanical work, all that time training for Martinez resulted in a three percent bump in completion percentage. I'm not trying to downplay that - merely pointing out that it takes A LOT of hard work to improve accuracy.

Can't wait to see this QB battle play out.