Why did Riley leave, Banker gives answer.

http://m.omaha.com/huskers/blogs/banker-on-riley-s-move-to-nebraska-it-was-time/article_5ecd74f6-9790-11e4-be11-d76fe12ff5df.html?mode=jqm

So why did Riley leave Oregon State?

"It was time," Banker said. "It was time."

Banker paused and chuckled.

"I'll say it," he said. "I'll say it. It stalled out. We played for Rose Bowl two years in a row. One year we flat-out screwed it up and the next year we got beat in a very, very close game. And instead of the university seizing the opportunity going forward, our success was used to help out the other programs. Which they needed to do, places that had limited budgets and resources. That was a decision that was made."

Banker said Oregon State was "falling behind in the arms race."

"There aren't any excuses," he said. "Winning and losing still comes down to us doing our job in recruiting and doing a good job in our coaching, but change is good. Change is good."

Did Riley and his staff feel under-appreciated at Oregon State?

"Nah," Banker said. "No. No. No time for that, right?"

Looks like a "read between the lines" comment there at the end. What's Banker supposed to say--"yeah, they treated us more like a gravy train with biscuit wheels than something worth investing in"? He's not going to burn bridges--not smart in the long run.

Still not a fan of the hire...but the more that comes out about Oregon State, the more it seems that the OSU AD went to the $ Bill Byrne 'school of athletic program stewardship', and completely took football success (relatively speaking) for granted.

In short, if you're of the mind that the reason Riley wasn't overly successful at OSU was due to facilities and program investment...then this article is certainly a good affirmation of that belief.

It's news to us Oregon State grads and fans that losing to Sac State and Eastern Washington was due to the athletic department putting a few bucks into basketball. Sorry, but I rolled my eyes at his comments. Football, like at most places, got the lion's share of the money. Banker is a crap coach and crap recruiter. He's why when you read about OSU's past studs, you never see a defensive guy mentioned.

I like the Riley hire for DONU. I hate that he brought Banker.

• Fire 1

It's news to us Oregon State grads and fans that losing to Sac State and Eastern Washington was due to the athletic department putting a few bucks into basketball. Sorry, but I rolled my eyes at his comments. Football, like at most places, got the lion's share of the money. Banker is a crap coach and crap recruiter. He's why when you read about OSU's past studs, you never see a defensive guy mentioned.

agree, i think Banker is Alpo and Riley will have to jetison him in a couple years.

#salty

does Banker need to speak up for Riley?......he would have been better served to stay out of the way.

Does it really matter or just want something to complain about? Like is it honestly that big of a deal? They've been working together for longer then some on this board have been alive, I'm sure he understands the boundaries/dynamics of their relationship.

8 of the 18 players from OSU in the NFL are defensive guys... Nebraska 12/22. Given that Banker had no where near the talent (check the recruiting sites) or resources (Given that you're an OSU alum, prior to a couple weeks ago, you know they had sh#t resources and sh#t facilities. Cliff Harris said it best, OSU is the little brother you beat up on in the backyard) I'd say they did pretty well getting that many players into the L. They might not be stars, but they got in there as much lower ranked prospects with few exceptions.

OSU has little money and they take from that money and divide it elsewhere leaving the program where it was..no new facilities, upgrades, etc..which is the what stalled out recruiting. I think he was quite accurate & honest about his assessment of OSU as a football school... it's not.