Shatel: Nebraska would be wise to remain on good terms with Frost

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/shatel-nebraska-would-be-wise-to-remain-on-good-terms/article_15a887f3-cdb7-5f33-a252-3dce936d9785.html

Did Nebraska contact you after firing Bo Pelini?

“No,” Frost said. “I was never contacted by Nebraska in regards to any position.”

Were you surprised NU didn’t call?

Frost said no, then declined to comment, other than to add, “I wish Mike Riley the best. I think he’s a good coach.”

I'm sure half the Husker fanbase is just thrilled to hear this........where's that sarcasm icon?

There was no reason to contact him, he was not qualified for the position. I am not at all upset. I am a huge fan of Scott Frost and one day would love to see him here. But I look at him, as not ready for this program or a program this size yet. Cut his teeth, then when he understands the whole deal, not just the coaching side of it. That is the easy part.

• Fire 1

Something happened or didn't happen once in one program, so it's settled science........that's what I'm hearing here. I don't see what it has to do with anything either??

Either you think the guy is a good coach or you don't.......experience at being a bad coach doesn't mean you'll be more likely to be a good coach, and inexperience as a head coach doesn't mean you'll be a bad one.

Hayseed,

Why do you think the past staff failed. Lack of effort, I don't think so. Lack of support by the athletic department, I don't think so. Lack of knowledge about football, and coaching of positions, maybe but not the main reason they failed.

Lack of management skills, recruiting skills, being in charge for the first time, with so much to learn. Lack of help with that task, teaching everyone their job, when you don't even know how to do the job your self (Not a knock). In over their heads from day one, Tremendous pressure to perform at a high level than really capable of. Stress being so high, that judgment was clouded. Hiring friends and then protecting friends, that most likely gave all they had. Micro managing, not because you want to, because you feel you have to, to keep your job.

Bo lost his job because he was not qualified for it in the first place, never running a program, that really is being a CEO, Chaplin, Guidance Counselor, Financial and planning expert, Recruiting in a remote area and having no idea of how to do it.

He lost it because of all the pressure. He has as much said so. He is angry, he blames others for failing but he knows why he failed.

This is too large of a program for a first time coach. It has changed tremendously since the time Coach Osborne took over. It was too much for Frank, and again for BC, he had coaching experience, but not the other facets that made it smooth.

I want Scott Frost to come here and succeed if he comes. He needs to know everything about running a program this size. This would be like a fortune 500 company bringing the southwest Missouri salesman of the year to be CEO. Ability may be there, but the know how isn't yet.

That is how I see it. I spent 12 years on recruiting duty for the Marine Corps. I know how tough recruiting is, how much time it takes, the travel involved. That is one tiny segment of being a head coach, important, but just one of hundreds of things he has to do.

Give Scott time.

Mike Riley is not the coach any of us thought would be our next coach, but he is a good coach with a great reputation. I say give him a chance, because there really isn't a choice in the matter. Hope for the best. Deal with it when it is time if it isn't.

• Fire 1

I think the most surprising thing in the article is that he doesnt have a wife. Married to his work I guess.

No, he's enjoying the fact that he can slay hot trim while living in a college town.

Yeah, I can't think of one reason why he would want to be married right now.

1. Rich

2. Cool job

3. Rich

4. Good looking guy

5. Doesn't need anyone to split the cable bill with

You forgot that he goes to work every day on a college campus!!! Now undergrads may be off limits, but I am sure Oregon has some hotties going through graduate classes. I am sure there he has gone through his share of women getting their Masters in Marketing.
I take it you actually know him personally because this is pretty accurate!

I think the most surprising thing in the article is that he doesnt have a wife. Married to his work I guess.

No, he's enjoying the fact that he can slay hot trim while living in a college town.

1. Rich

2. Cool job

3. Rich

4. Good looking guy

You forgot that he goes to work every day on a college campus!!! Now undergrads may be off limits, but I am sure Oregon has some hotties going through graduate classes. I am sure there he has gone through his share of women getting their Masters in Marketing.
Don't know him at all, other than seeing him at UNL CBA while going thru undergrad. That's great that he is slaying it. More power to the guy!!!

1. Rich

2. Cool job

3. Rich

4. Good looking guy

Don't know him at all, other than seeing him at UNL CBA while going thru undergrad. That's great that he is slaying it. More power to the guy!!!

Amen!

1. Rich

2. Cool job

3. Rich

4. Good looking guy

When you get to be Frost's and my age (40), we look at things a little different than when we were in our 20's.

1. Rich

2. Cool job

3. Rich

4. Good looking guy

When you get to be Frost's and my age (40), we look at things a little different than when we were in our 20's.

I am basically Frost's age (1 grade younger) and graduated from UNL a semester apart. I have also been married since my mid 20s. I am pretty confident I have an idea of how Frost is looking at things right now.

For me ... it's absolutely stunning that he was never contacted or any convo whatsoever. I'll forever be "butt hurt" over that.

I'll continue to hope the "ship hasn't sailed" and Coach Riley will restore the :bigredn: in these next five (5) years and have an up-and-coming program to hand off to Scott who is ready, willing and able ...

BUT I DON'T THINK that Scott will be available nor would he entrust himself to the current leadership of this university (and I think he is a smart man for seeing that).

Why would they contact him when they were looking for someone with HC experience?

Why would Frost be forever butt hurt because he only has an extremely short period of time as a coordinator?

Most professional people would understand the situation and not be "Forever butt hurt" over something that is a business decision like that.

I think you have a few different mindsets at that age. Some are happily married or at least content with their marriages. Others never married, play the field despite being married, or are recently divorced. It's tough to distinguish the mindset of many in that latter group from the 18 year olds we all knew in high school who were trying to rack up as many scores as possible. I get the sense that's probably about where Frost is at.