Does Coach Riley land commit OG Jalin Barnett if he's still at OreST?

Interesting Riley was able to get the top-rated recruit of the class in just over a month. Can't see what he can do with a full recruiting cycle. Hopefully this is a sign of things to come.

it's really kinda laughable if you think about it. Regardless of prior connection to the guy or not. Bo had 1 top 100 committ in seven years. Riley's got one in a month. Seriously. And i was on the improved recruiting bandwagon, cuz it was improving, but it still wasnt good enough. And the excuses? Theyre garbage to me anymore. You look what Tim Miles has done, and that is the main reason for my dwindling patience for Bo's recruiting. There is no excuses. And obviously this guy gets it.

I'm done defending Bo. But, let's not forget that he did have a very highly ranked RB committed before he was fired. Bo crapped the bed the first few classes. He picked it up the last few classes. This is why we have depth problems but the cupboard isn't bare.

I said his recruiting was improving. He was in on and getting higher profile guys. But my point is that there was a band of excuses that although we were getting some good guys, our classes were still in the 20-30 range. There's no excuse in my opinion that we cant land top 10 classes. Bo's 2013 class was 12th on scout. So he was close. Callahan did a top 5 once. There's no excuse. I'm sorry, but looking back and being revisionist and backpeddling about it, yeah, Bo shoulda done better. Esp. in his later years. The classes shouldve been filled and the talent shoulda been better. it was just part of the inexperience factor of course.

If Tim miles can come in and put together top whatever classes in a program with zero history, zero tradition, and some fancy ipads in the lockers, then there's no excuse why the football program cant do the same. They got ipads in the lockers too.

We should be finishing more times than not top 15 recruiting class wise with an occasional top 10 and an occasional top 20ish

Maybe I'm just a bit pessimistic, but I don't see how we can more times than not land a top 15 recruiting class. When you look at the southern schools and the coastal schools, they are going to year in and year out land higher classes than us. Then, look at the conferences. The SEC more times than not will land higher classes because their scholastic requirements are lower than the B1G.

Exactly how many recruiting classes by TO were top 15? I remember a couple, but that's about it. This is one of the reasons Riley was brought into the program. We do need top 25 classes, but we also needed someone who could do more with less.

Also, i'll throw this out there. I've seen here before and kinda agree. Bo's staff was a bunch of relatively young guys with families and so on. Gotta think that may have had an impact. I know, the constant grind is part of the game. But compare that to this new staff with a bunch of older fellas with no immediate families aside from a wife, and it's easy to say that they dont have anything better to do. if that makes sense, generally.

I have thought about this also. Not necessarily from the family angle but from the spot in their career angle.

These guys are experienced. Have been at all levels of football from lower college to the NFL. Some have been coordinators before....etc.

I see these guys as not viewing this job as a stepping stone to greater things. Instead, I see these guys as coaches who have coached together before but never have had this chance at a place like Nebraska to put it all together in a place that will draw the talent they need to win a championship. Riley kind of put together the all star cast of coaches he has had on his staff before.

They are energized and are motivated to go get it done with the experience to make it happen.

I think it's going to be a fun ride.

Interesting Riley was able to get the top-rated recruit of the class in just over a month. Can't see what he can do with a full recruiting cycle. Hopefully this is a sign of things to come.

it's really kinda laughable if you think about it. Regardless of prior connection to the guy or not. Bo had 1 top 100 committ in seven years. Riley's got one in a month. Seriously. And i was on the improved recruiting bandwagon, cuz it was improving, but it still wasnt good enough. And the excuses? Theyre garbage to me anymore. You look what Tim Miles has done, and that is the main reason for my dwindling patience for Bo's recruiting. There is no excuses. And obviously this guy gets it.

I'm done defending Bo. But, let's not forget that he did have a very highly ranked RB committed before he was fired. Bo crapped the bed the first few classes. He picked it up the last few classes. This is why we have depth problems but the cupboard isn't bare.
It's pretty common for a team's best player to play runningback in high school. Good runningbacks are a dime a dozen. That should never be a problem. I think the cupboard is kind of bare where it really matters - offensive line and in the front 7 on defense. Collins is good for a big play or two per game, but I keep waiting for Valentine and McMullen to show up, given all the hype. The linebacker situation is dire.

Valentine and McMullen were held back by the scheme. Under Bo's philosophy, Valentine, Collins, McMullen, and even Gregory to an extent, their impact is NEVER gonna be reflected on the stat sheet. If youre gazin for tackles, sacks, TFLs and so on, youre gonna deem these guys as not good. But the fact of the matter is this year, for abut 95% of time, Collins and Valenting were awesome. They were doing exactly what they were supposed to do. McMullen had issues at times controlling that edge and with aggresiveness on bootlegs, esp against McNeese st, but overall he was pretty solid this past season. The issues were behind them. The fits were bad because of the way we played, if they werent technically sound all across, it looked bad. And that Wisconsin game was a total embarassment.

Now, under this new philosophy, you should expect to see more impact from them. Especially Collins. Whenever that guy was given a green light (or just decided to go rogue and make something happen-seriously. would is surprise you?) he wreaked havoc. he's got Warren Sapp-like disrupting tendancies. Unblockable when he decides to raise hell. Seems the same with Valentine. how many time have we seen Valentine completely blow up a guard and literally run them over? Now theyre gonna be playing in a scheme that will ask these guys to one gap, penestrate, raise hell, disrupt the play, and not have to worry so much about gap integrity and specific leverage techniques. Less thinking. More raising hell. If they dont make the play, we got backers and safeties flyin all over to the ball behind.

My only concern with that is being susceptible to big play play action. But I also think we got the skill and athleticism in the back four to lock down and cover.

We'll see. Suh & Crick were plently disruptive in that scheme. Maybe it just fit them better.

To me, hoping these guys are better in Banker's scheme isn't the same as the cupboards being stocked. We still need a bump in recruiting if we want to run with the big dogs. I hope this commit is a step in right direction.

I said his recruiting was improving. He was in on and getting higher profile guys. But my point is that there was a band of excuses that although we were getting some good guys, our classes were still in the 20-30 range. There's no excuse in my opinion that we cant land top 10 classes. Bo's 2013 class was 12th on scout. So he was close. Callahan did a top 5 once. There's no excuse. I'm sorry, but looking back and being revisionist and backpeddling about it, yeah, Bo shoulda done better. Esp. in his later years. The classes shouldve been filled and the talent shoulda been better. it was just part of the inexperience factor of course.

If Tim miles can come in and put together top whatever classes in a program with zero history, zero tradition, and some fancy ipads in the lockers, then there's no excuse why the football program cant do the same. They got ipads in the lockers too.

We should be finishing more times than not top 15 recruiting class wise with an occasional top 10 and an occasional top 20ish
Maybe I'm just a bit pessimistic, but I don't see how we can more times than not land a top 15 recruiting class. When you look at the southern schools and the coastal schools, they are going to year in and year out land higher classes than us. Then, look at the conferences. The SEC more times than not will land higher classes because their scholastic requirements are lower than the B1G.

Exactly how many recruiting classes by TO were top 15? I remember a couple, but that's about it. This is one of the reasons Riley was brought into the program. We do need top 25 classes, but we also needed someone who could do more with less.

From 87-96 he landed 5 top 10 classes

From 87-96 he landed 5 top 10 classes

And my guess is the other classes were all in the top 25, or even top 15. The whole mystique that TO did not pull in top recruits has been proven to be bunk time and again. Time to let go of the excuses and misconceptions.

It's pretty common for a team's best player to play runningback in high school. Good runningbacks are a dime a dozen. That should never be a problem. I think the cupboard is kind of bare where it really matters - offensive line and in the front 7 on defense. Collins is good for a big play or two per game, but I keep waiting for Valentine and McMullen to show up, given all the hype. The linebacker situation is dire.

Valentine and McMullen were held back by the scheme. Under Bo's philosophy, Valentine, Collins, McMullen, and even Gregory to an extent, their impact is NEVER gonna be reflected on the stat sheet. If youre gazin for tackles, sacks, TFLs and so on, youre gonna deem these guys as not good. But the fact of the matter is this year, for abut 95% of time, Collins and Valenting were awesome. They were doing exactly what they were supposed to do. McMullen had issues at times controlling that edge and with aggresiveness on bootlegs, esp against McNeese st, but overall he was pretty solid this past season. The issues were behind them. The fits were bad because of the way we played, if they werent technically sound all across, it looked bad. And that Wisconsin game was a total embarassment.

Now, under this new philosophy, you should expect to see more impact from them. Especially Collins. Whenever that guy was given a green light (or just decided to go rogue and make something happen-seriously. would is surprise you?) he wreaked havoc. he's got Warren Sapp-like disrupting tendancies. Unblockable when he decides to raise hell. Seems the same with Valentine. how many time have we seen Valentine completely blow up a guard and literally run them over? Now theyre gonna be playing in a scheme that will ask these guys to one gap, penestrate, raise hell, disrupt the play, and not have to worry so much about gap integrity and specific leverage techniques. Less thinking. More raising hell. If they dont make the play, we got backers and safeties flyin all over to the ball behind.

My only concern with that is being susceptible to big play play action. But I also think we got the skill and athleticism in the back four to lock down and cover.

We'll see. Suh & Crick were plently disruptive in that scheme. Maybe it just fit them better.

To me, hoping these guys are better in Banker's scheme isn't the same as the cupboards being stocked. We still need a bump in recruiting if we want to run with the big dogs. I hope this commit is a step in right direction.

It was a different dline philosophy then. They were teeing off. They knew it was a pass, with little qb run possibility, 70% of the time. And dont undersell the impact of Suh's presence. When you have a guy that requires, AND BEATS, double teams on a routine basis, well, yeah...

And I dont know how disruptive id say they were. They certainly gobbled a lot of things up, but in terms of all out penetration and blowing things up in the backfield, I dont recall that too much from '09 and '10.

I just wanted to point out that just cuz Valentine and Collins didnt live in the backfield and racking up TFL's didnt mean they were ineffective.

My question is this. If Riley guides us to consecutive competitive 8-4 or 7-5 seasons, does recruiting to NU become harder. Everyone is intrigued by things in the wrapper so to speak. What happens(and I'm not saying it's going to) if Riley falls somewhat flat in the win column? Does recruiting slide. Will he adapt? Change some staff around? These are all things that I think could've helped Bo as opposed to declaring how close they were at the end of every season. Self analyze with the purpose of improving as opposed to looking back on the season and concluding that it was just a few misses each year. And that staying the course and getting a few breaks would result in goals being achieved. I saw improvements in recruiting as Bo and staff became better at identifying talent. His staff didn't develop the talent like many would've liked.

I still think Bo can coach and the return game he put his hands on last year is proof of that. I'm just hoping that Riley isn't just an older version of Pelini with some of his hires. I hope he doesn't live or die with every decision he makes and can cut ties with anyone not producing on his staff.

Alex Lewis is something that comes to mind in this thread. Despite his legal issues and jail time, I think he did an OK job for us. I also think he got screwed on that TD pass that got called back, but wutev.

As long as the kids will thrive and compete under Reily's program, I could care less if they have zero stars... WIN RED, WIN!!

My question is this. If Riley guides us to consecutive competitive 8-4 or 7-5 seasons, does recruiting to NU become harder. Everyone is intrigued by things in the wrapper so to speak. What happens(and I'm not saying it's going to) if Riley falls somewhat flat in the win column? Does recruiting slide. Will he adapt? Change some staff around? These are all things that I think could've helped Bo as opposed to declaring how close they were at the end of every season. Self analyze with the purpose of improving as opposed to looking back on the season and concluding that it was just a few misses each year. And that staying the course and getting a few breaks would result in goals being achieved. I saw improvements in recruiting as Bo and staff became better at identifying talent. His staff didn't develop the talent like many would've liked.

I still think Bo can coach and the return game he put his hands on last year is proof of that. I'm just hoping that Riley isn't just an older version of Pelini with some of his hires. I hope he doesn't live or die with every decision he makes and can cut ties with anyone not producing on his staff.

after Pelini's stint, it would seem pretty obvious if you need to clean house, you better do it fast!

with a name brand school like Nebraska just about anyone should be able to get recruiting classes rank around the top 25, its not like Nebraska is playing in the MAC

Sort of on topic:

Has anyone heard a good explanation of why Gary Andersen left Wisconsin for Oregon State?

Didn't like Barry's advice re "this is how we do the run game here"

Didn't like to hobnob and partake in adult beverage consumption with boosters, which Barry does like

Didn't like the recruit limitations he had due to entrance requirements

Heard a few more that I don't recall.

Except, your wrong.

Except, your wrong.

hey thanks. I was gettin worried
  • Fire 1