Husker Scholarships Will Cover Personal Expenses Starting This Fall

Mavric

The stipend gap between schools in LA, SF, seattle and Lincoln will be wide and will put us at a recruiting disadvantage

One quick solution to lower the gap would be to include the cost of apartment rent as part of the scholarship, so the new stipend can be used for everything else (like food, concert tickets, clothes)

For example:

Stipend for Cal: $8000

NU: $3,600

Avg for 1 bedroom around the bay areA: $2500

Around Lincoln: $500

Incluse this in the new scholarship, so

New Cal stipend: $5500

New NU stipend: $3100

The gap is cut in half

People will believe him because he actually provided useful information. The only thing more Landlord could have done more is provide his source for the information, which I would assume is public and we could all dig up, so I am not holding that against him.

You just made comments that never really added to the conversation. We asked you to provide information, but you just made snide comments making it sound like you are referring to 'money under the table.' Maybe we should have just ignored them, but maybe we had hopes you could back up your position.

Very well said. Every conversation is better with facts. You either know what you're talking about and provide useful information or you're a sideshow to the real conversation.

The stipend gap between schools in LA, SF, seattle and Lincoln will be wide and will put us at a recruiting disadvantage

One quick solution to lower the gap would be to include the cost of apartment rent as part of the scholarship, so the new stipend can be used for everything else (like food, concert tickets, clothes)

For example:

Stipend for Cal: $8000

NU: $3,600

Avg for 1 bedroom around the bay areA: $2500

Around Lincoln: $500

Incluse this in the new scholarship, so

New Cal stipend: $5500

New NU stipend: $3100

The gap is cut in half

I follow what you are getting at. However, these cost are already accounted for. At most schools, you can choose to live off of campus and receive a stipend in lieu of that on-campus room and board. At Nebraska, room and board is $9,961. At Cal, $14,000.

You have to take into account Cost of Living differences, too. Compared to Lincoln:

Price difference in San Francisco, CA
  • Groceries30%more
  • Housing288%more
  • Utilities5%more
  • Transportation14%more
  • Health Care28%more

http://money.cnn.com/calculator/pf/cost-of-living/

It is not perfect, but according to that cost of living calculator, a $35,000 salary in Lincoln is comparable to $67,372 salary in San Francisco. So, how far would a $3,600 stipend go compared to that in the Bay Area?

People will believe him because he actually provided useful information. The only thing more Landlord could have done more is provide his source for the information, which I would assume is public and we could all dig up, so I am not holding that against him.

You just made comments that never really added to the conversation. We asked you to provide information, but you just made snide comments making it sound like you are referring to 'money under the table.' Maybe we should have just ignored them, but maybe we had hopes you could back up your position.

Very well said. Every conversation is better with facts. You either know what you're talking about and provide useful information or you're a sideshow to the real conversation.

EDIT. meh.
  • 1 month later...

B_L7EoVUsAAEl-c.jpg

3rd highest stipend with the 2nd lowest cost to in-state and out-of-state kids..? :wasted

School cost does not matter, I'm not sure why they included it on that chart. The term is "Total Cost of Attendance" so what that number is indicating is that living in Lincoln is a bit more expensive than many of those other cities.