"If there is a second Tom Osborne, it would be Mike Riley"

Mavric

Nebraska's high school football coaches can expect more than a rush and gush from Husker coach Mike Riley, according to a former high school football coach in Oregon.

"Mike and his staff shared a really positive relationship with us. Some of them were members of our association," said Rob Younger, now the executive director of the Oregon Athletic Coaches Association. "He would sign up 25 to 30 of his staff to come to our football clinic.
"That's a big fundraiser for us. He would not only support us financially, but a vast majority of his coaches would show up for the clinic and network with our coaches. We always had one or two of his coaches speak to our clinic."
Younger made a comparison Nebraska fans can understand.
"Coach (Tom) Osborne was a role model for me and I read every book he ever wrote," he said. "In 2008, I was fortunate to be at the American Football Coaches Association banquet and had a chance to spend some quality time with Coach Osborne.
"If there is a second to Tom Osborne, it would be Mike Riley. He has the same type of moral character and convictions and is willing to work with coaches. I really believe Nebraska got a great hire."
Riley already has reached out to the Nebraska Coaches Association.
"They are very interested in having a relationship with the high school football coaches in Nebraska," NCA executive director Darin Boysen said of the Husker coaches. "He wanted to pick my brain about their spring coaches clinic and how things should work.
"There's a honeymoon anytime you have a new hire. But he made it clear that practices were open to all coaches. He said a top priority will be placed on evaluating and recruiting Nebraska kids. That will be a welcome addition and thought process."

LJS

I swear, I could hear players from the 70s - 90s saying the same thing about TO as Barry said about Riley.

I don't know how to describe it. I just know I want to play for him, and make plays for him," the linebacker said Thursday night after announcing he would sign with Nebraska.

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/life-in-the-red/article_fad06380-a830-11e4-a0c7-4bde81edbc98.html#.VMsBrdCwU-k.twitter

Don't know if Coach Riley will have the same success, but I'm starting to get the same feeling about Mike Riley as I did Osborne, filled with class and dignity and making sure things are done the right way.

don,t get your hopes to high, only 8 out of 100 new coaches turn out great

True story

I'd like to know how many had ZERO head coaching experience though. I think a lot of us have a strong appreciation for Head Coaching experience.

I don't know how this is going to turn out. But honestly, so far, it's turning out way better than I could have anticipated. Something should be said about how much energy he seems to project around all these prospective recruits. He actually seems to know what he is doing...

Also, I love seeing the recruiting process a bit. I didn't think I would be so into it, but seeing it on twitter has really gotten me excited about it.

Good stuff so far. I just hope he continues this on the field. Something tells me we may see just plainly a better coached team, which sometimes was the problem we had previously. Anyway, good stuff. I would have been excited for the next season anyway, but man I am so excited for this team coached by him.

I hope that number isn't in reference to (what I thought at least) the pretty flimsy "analysis" done by ... was it LJS? a few weeks ago. Albeit it had nice graphics and everything, but they were not counting coaches who a) had worse record in last season than first, and b) had worse record in first season than the previous year in their criteria for "successful."

don,t get your hopes to high, only 8 out of 100 new coaches turn out great

seeing how not losing to minny more times than not and not getting embarrassed by wiscy would be great, i will keep my hopes up.
If those are your goals, I honestly think Riley will be successful.

If you want conference championships or appearances in New Years Six bowls, prepare to be let down. The only real chance for that to happen is next season, the schedule after that makes it much to difficult.