Mayhaps An Explanation Be In Order?

Who wants an explanation?  

55 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

But landlord knows what he was suspended for? The same can't be said for several of our newly banned members who have yet to hear from anyone affiliated with the board. Hence the double standard.

Every member I've suspended knows why they were suspended. I have no double standard.

Again, this focus on Landlord is bizarre. Why not pick any one of another two dozen posters who've been suspended or banned? Why him?

Why landlord? Because the fat toad incident is one of the most incredible things I've ever seen on a Husker message board.

That escalated far beyond what it ever should have but that was just as much due to other posters running with it as it was on me. I went to bed and woke up to like 60 updates.

Regardless, I was reprimanded for it.

And to our friends reading this thread but unable to respond, this conversation belongs here. My twitter account is not an extension of my HuskerBoard account, and continuing to respond there will get you blocked.

Thanks.

The twitter conversations are pretty funny...in an egotistical kind of way.

• Fire 1

But landlord knows what he was suspended for? The same can't be said for several of our newly banned members who have yet to hear from anyone affiliated with the board. Hence the double standard.

Every member I've suspended knows why they were suspended. I have no double standard.

Again, this focus on Landlord is bizarre. Why not pick any one of another two dozen posters who've been suspended or banned? Why him?

Why landlord? Because the fat toad incident is one of the most incredible things I've ever seen on a Husker message board.

If Landlord had been permabanned for that status update, we wouldn't be having this conversation right now? Or there would be a different name in the conversation? I'm confused.

I don't think you are confused at all.

I guess I'm a little late to the party and don't have the slightest clue what's going on. My only thoughts are this: I enjoy coming to Huskerboard to get inside info on the Huskers, but when people become so attached to the board that their life is affected by something that happened online on an anonymous message board (which I'll admit has happened to me before), maybe it's time to take a step back and evaluate their life.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm late to the party and saddened myself.

Sounds like a banning episode on a non-sports board I used to frequent. Strong personalities and well-meaning administrators were involved. We were asked, even begged not to question the decisions made, but when the facts came out there was indeed some thin skin, inconsisitency and personal agendas involved. It was understandably maddening that the banned posters weren't allowed to explain themselves on the board, and had to accept "they know what they did" as an explanation beyond reproach. Some otherwise very nice people were not exactly honest about stuff.

Maybe that didn't happen in this case. I don't know.

But banishments, censorship and secrecy end up making a lot more work for mods and admins than cool down periods and self-policing.

If personal privacy was wittingly violated and liability issues involved, that's another story.

That other board continued. Some welcomed the banishments. Some thought it opened the board for more civil discourse. But it turned out those banned posters and their friends were a lively bunch, and the board got a whole lot less interesting and active without them.

In retrospect it seems that the original banned were already skating on thin ice. Then getting into a pissing match with an admin or carrying an "Im bigger than the board" attitude kind of did them in.

Just my observations, dont know the full scoop.

• Fire 1

In retrospect it seems that the original banned were already skating on thin ice. Then getting into a pissing match with an admin or carrying an "Im bigger than the board" attitude kind of did them in.

Just my observations, dont know the full scoop.

Agreed. It's too bad that some of the other, later banned posters got pulled into it. I'm still not sure that I know what some of the later banned guys did to get the boot.