Our Offense Is Significantly Worse Than Sadler's

Mavric

Pretty sobering statistics, considering how bad everyone knew we were under Sadler.

Three times in the past four games, Nebraska’s offense has ground to a halt at 44, 42 and 43 points. It has happened five times altogether this season in regulation, including a 35-point clunker against Loyola Marymount.

In fact, in third-year coach Tim Miles’ 88 games, the Huskers have scored fewer than 50 in regulation 13 times (14.8 percent). How does that compare with three previous coaches who had six-year terms at NU?
Doc Sadler: 16 in 190 games (8.4 percent).
Barry Collier: 5 in 180 games (2.8 percent).
Moe Iba: 12 in 177 games (6.8 percent). Iba coached one season with the shot clock and none with the 3-point basket.

OWH

Pretty sobering statistics, considering how bad everyone knew we were under Sadler.

Three times in the past four games, Nebraska’s offense has ground to a halt at 44, 42 and 43 points. It has happened five times altogether this season in regulation, including a 35-point clunker against Loyola Marymount.

In fact, in third-year coach Tim Miles’ 88 games, the Huskers have scored fewer than 50 in regulation 13 times (14.8 percent). How does that compare with three previous coaches who had six-year terms at NU?
Moe Iba: 12 in 177 games (6.8 percent). Iba coached one season with the shot clock and none with the 3-point basket.

OWH

Things like this...make me think...coaching.

OWH

Things like this...make me think...coaching.

The offensive strategy isnt much of a strategy. They need to learn how to beat a zone, because right now, this whole pick and roll crap doesnt work.

I think Miles is a good coach but he hasnt done a good job of making adjustments.

Part of it starts with who is on the court together. I think that having Benny and David on the court together is awful. Neither are offensive threats so defenses can just double team Shields and Petteway.

Pitchford has been too inconsistent.

I honestly think we will struggle the rest of the season.. and will be in the CBI tournament.. which is a bummer.. but the team we will have next year will add some outstanding talent with White, Morrow and Watson.

No clue what to expect with Jacobsen and need other guys to really progress.

Points Per Game.

At CSU:

2008 - 64.1

2009 - 69

2010 - 66.5

2011 - 71.6

2012 - 71

At Neb:

2013 - 58.3

2014 - 67

2015 - 62.8

At both places, for some reason, the second year saw an improvement with a slight drop back the third year. At CSU, the scoring greatly improved in 201 and carried into 2012. From 2013 to 2014, we saw a big improvement in scoring and a slight drop back this year.

I personally think this points to talent. At CSU, I'm guessing he was able to slightly increase the talent level the first three years to the point where it really came into showing on the court in the 4th and 5th year.

Right now, we have two scorers in the top 5 in the conference. The problem is, we have absolutely nothing after that. Those two scorers are having to press and take scoring risks/shots that a way more balanced team wouldn't need to take. We have seen (what has been said anyway) a big improvement in recruiting and many of those guys are either having to sit out this year or seniors in HS waiting to get here next year to contribute.

This year is very frustrating. However, I still think the future is bright in the program especially if players like Petteway and Shields are still here next year with a new influx of talent that can actually score with them.

• Fire 1

I Would not expect much "impact" from true freshmen in the Big Ten...

You don't expect more impact from Marrow and Watson as compared to any other Fr we have signed under Miles? Both are extremely talented

I guess it depends how you define "impact"

Watson might get 6 minutes a game

Morrow might average 4 points and 4 rebounds a game as a freshmen

But yes, way better than the other freshmen he brought it...The other guys are not Big Ten players.

Points Per Game.

At CSU:

2008 - 64.1

2009 - 69

2010 - 66.5

2011 - 71.6

2012 - 71

At Neb:

2013 - 58.3

2014 - 67

2015 - 62.8

At both places, for some reason, the second year saw an improvement with a slight drop back the third year. At CSU, the scoring greatly improved in 201 and carried into 2012. From 2013 to 2014, we saw a big improvement in scoring and a slight drop back this year.

I personally think this points to talent. At CSU, I'm guessing he was able to slightly increase the talent level the first three years to the point where it really came into showing on the court in the 4th and 5th year.

Right now, we have two scorers in the top 5 in the conference. The problem is, we have absolutely nothing after that. Those two scorers are having to press and take scoring risks/shots that a way more balanced team wouldn't need to take. We have seen (what has been said anyway) a big improvement in recruiting and many of those guys are either having to sit out this year or seniors in HS waiting to get here next year to contribute.

This year is very frustrating. However, I still think the future is bright in the program especially if players like Petteway and Shields are still here next year with a new influx of talent that can actually score with them.

It is the conference...the Big Ten has better players and coaches.

Points Per Game.

At CSU:

2008 - 64.1

2009 - 69

2010 - 66.5

2011 - 71.6

2012 - 71

At Neb:

2013 - 58.3

2014 - 67

2015 - 62.8

Looking at the stats, I think he can compete with the Big Ten as a coach. He just needs to keep working to get the players he needs to improve scoring. I'm sure he is extremely frustrated that nobody else has stepped up and contributed other than two players.

Points Per Game.

At CSU:

2008 - 64.1

2009 - 69

2010 - 66.5

2011 - 71.6

2012 - 71

At Neb:

2013 - 58.3

2014 - 67

2015 - 62.8

Looking at the stats, I think he can compete with the Big Ten as a coach. He just needs to keep working to get the players he needs to improve scoring. I'm sure he is extremely frustrated that nobody else has stepped up and contributed other than two players.

I think he can too...I just think it takes time...

It is funny that ESPN & Big 10 analysis are high on Nebraska & Miles and the direction of program, but NE fans still think we need to win every game this year. Remember that Smith, Parker, Rivers & Shields are not Miles recruits and the only reason Doc got Shields is due to legacy. Without Petteway & Pitchford, we are lucky to win 8 total game with Doc. Please do not compare the offenses, as the Big 12 does not play defense.

• Fire 1

It is funny that ESPN & Big 10 analysis are high on Nebraska & Miles and the direction of program, but NE fans still think we need to win every game this year. Remember that Smith, Parker, Rivers & Shields are not Miles recruits and the only reason Doc got Shields is due to legacy. Without Petteway & Pitchford, we are lucky to win 8 total game with Doc. Please do not compare the offenses, as the Big 12 does not play defense.

Well..in fairness the only reason Morrow is coming is because he is a "legacy"

Also...it is year 3...you need to be playing most of "your" guys by now unless you recruited poorly.

Heck, NU doesn't even really have "Miles Guys" coming off the bench.