Spring Practice Updates

Mavric

As has been speculated since his hire, it appears that Banker likes to keep his base defense on the field as much as possible. It was noted today that it was usually a LB covering the slot receiver. Newby drew that assignment with the first teamers.

I hate this. We can't even cover tight ends,and now we're going to cover receivers? Lol right.

Yeah, I'm skeptical on this as well.

Although I've seen several reports of a "star" position that's kind of a hybrid linebacker/safety that they use like a Nickelback who would probably draw that assignment. I'm sure they're not close to having everything in so perhaps that'll show up down the road.

As has been speculated since his hire, it appears that Banker likes to keep his base defense on the field as much as possible. It was noted today that it was usually a LB covering the slot receiver. Newby drew that assignment with the first teamers.

I hate this. We can't even cover tight ends,and now we're going to cover receivers? Lol right.

Blame the scheme. Not the player. Just sayin.

Blame the scheme. Not the player. Just sayin.

Yeah. And don't slot receivers usually run short quick routes? If they run deeper patterns, isn't there safety help? I ask these because I'm way more of an offensive guy than defense.

Here's what I've gathered from what media guys are saying:

QB: Tommy did some good things. Bush was most impressive backup. Not much on Stanton. Fyfe struggled and threw a couple picks.

RB: Not a lot on Cross. Wilbon and Taylor impressed. Newby "stood out".

WR: Saw a top 6 of: PiersonEl, Westy, Reilly, Moore, Hovey, Tolbert. Saw Irons was hot and cold. Said Allen, Burtch, Gladney struggled.

DE: Freedom looked the part, "might be the answer".

DT: Sipple thinks this is his last spring camp for Collins. Might need Davis twins for depth.

LB: Ran both practices due to numbers. Newby, Bando, Rose the top group. Young looks and plays like not a TrFr, looks ready to play this year. They said Young looked especially well walking out and playing pass coverage.

Saftey: Leroy and Kieron were grouped together, said they look natural and cover a lot of ground. Pick 6 for Leroy.

Good to hear Newby ready to step up his game.

Here's what I've gathered from what media guys are saying:

QB: Tommy did some good things. Bush was most impressive backup. Not much on Stanton. Fyfe struggled and threw a couple picks.

RB: Not a lot on Cross. Wilbon and Taylor impressed. Newby "stood out".

WR: Saw a top 6 of: PiersonEl, Westy, Reilly, Moore, Hovey, Tolbert. Saw Irons was hot and cold. Said Allen, Burtch, Gladney struggled.

DE: Freedom looked the part, "might be the answer".

DT: Sipple thinks this is his last spring camp for Collins. Might need Davis twins for depth.

LB: Ran both practices due to numbers. Newby, Bando, Rose the top group. Young looks and plays like not a TrFr, looks ready to play this year. They said Young looked especially well walking out and playing pass coverage.

Saftey: Leroy and Kieron were grouped together, said they look natural and cover a lot of ground. Pick 6 for Leroy.

Very good summary. Thanks.

And I think that we need to pump the breaks a bit on the Collin's hype. Was he good last year? Yes. But he is going to have to take a BIG step forward this year to consider leaving early for the league.

Collins and Valentine performed better than anyone on the defense last year. In many instances, it wasnt even close. Within the scheme, that tandem was bar none the defensive leaders. Collins is the real deal. Whether it was simply rogue play or the coaches cuttin him loose, whenever he decided to shoot a gap, get of the ball and penetrate to disrupt, he was unblockable. It's gonna be fun this year in a more aggresive front scheme watching him and Valentine get after it.

Yeah, he does need to take a step forward, but with Maliek, the hype is justifiable.

And I think that we need to pump the breaks a bit on the Collin's hype. Was he good last year? Yes. But he is going to have to take a BIG step forward this year to consider leaving early for the league.

Collins and Valentine performed better than anyone on the defense last year. In many instances, it wasnt even close. Within the scheme, that tandem was bar none the defensive leaders. Collins is the real deal. Whether it was simply rogue play or the coaches cuttin him loose, whenever he decided to shoot a gap, get of the ball and penetrate to disrupt, he was unblockable. It's gonna be fun this year in a more aggresive front scheme watching him and Valentine get after it.

Yeah, he does need to take a step forward, but with Maliek, the hype is justifiable.

tell that to Flash Gordon.......he didn't even know he was in the game.

He will be a first rounder next draft

That's a bold statement.

I'm not knocking Collins. He was good for a sophomore. IIRC, he was 2nd team all B1G.

But to be a 1st round pick he is going to have to take a really big step this year. 1st team all B1G, getting defensive B1G POY votes, being 1st/2nd team AA. Can he do all of that? Hopefully. I just don't think its time yet to act like he is the 2nd coming of Suh.

• Fire 2

He will be a first rounder next draft

That's a bold statement.

I'm not knocking Collins. He was good for a sophomore. IIRC, he was 2nd team all B1G.

But to be a 1st round pick he is going to have to take a really big step this year. 1st team all B1G, getting defensive B1G POY votes, being 1st/2nd team AA. Can he do all of that? Hopefully. I just don't think its time yet to act like he is the 2nd coming of Suh.

agree.......

Stone Cold Lock

Collins 1st rounder, maybe could have went late 1st early second this year (if eligible). He is even more disruptive than his numbers show. Absolute freak at that size and speed. Valentine is disruptive too but he should be here for his senior season. Collins will have to pass the torch to the Davis twins next year. Hoping Nebraska turns into DLineU

Maliek is bigger and stronger and faster thanks to our new SC program.. I don't think anyone thinks he is the next Suh, but if you remember last year when scouts and big 10 people made the rounds, they always said Maliek stood out when they were there for Gregory..

He needs to grow some more as a player but if he doesn't regress he is a first day pick Imo.