Spring Practice Updates

Mavric

And I think that we need to pump the breaks a bit on the Collin's hype. Was he good last year? Yes. But he is going to have to take a BIG step forward this year to consider leaving early for the league.

Collins and Valentine performed better than anyone on the defense last year. In many instances, it wasnt even close. Within the scheme, that tandem was bar none the defensive leaders. Collins is the real deal. Whether it was simply rogue play or the coaches cuttin him loose, whenever he decided to shoot a gap, get of the ball and penetrate to disrupt, he was unblockable. It's gonna be fun this year in a more aggresive front scheme watching him and Valentine get after it.

Yeah, he does need to take a step forward, but with Maliek, the hype is justifiable.

tell that to Flash Gordon.......he didn't even know he was in the game.

Kind of more to what Count was saying earlier, Flash Gordon didn't even know he [Maliek] was in the game because Wisconsin had the most success running left or right, but IIRC had limited success running up the gut. In fact, most of their problems early on came from trying to run up the gut and getting stuffed by Maliek and VV.

They made one simple adjustment based on what our defense was doing. They started pinnin donw the DTs and pullin TWO backside lineman and used that to draw the the LB's and safeties all bunched into the same gap. Usually the C gap on most the long runs. After that, it was simply seal off the edge and either draw the corner out with motion/crack (which happened to davie on the one) or just get in his way. They used our own scheme of matchup time and time again against and used action to get our guys out of position and give themselves the angles necessary. And with a guy like Gordon, all it takes is a slight seem. McMullen and Gregory got whooped on the edge numerous times. And by whooped, I dont mean pancaked or steamrolled. Just simply sealed off. Of course like any other instance, once it happened once or twice and the train was rollin, then it really went to hell.

A week later Minnesota did pretty much the same thing. It wasnt nothin physical or outmanning. They just simply formationed us to death. All because we wouldnt sell out to stop the run first and trust the secondary down the field in one on one coverage.

• Fire 4

Which blows my mind because we have consistently had solid defensive backs. Good God stop the run and let them try to go over the top with your solid DBs

Which is also funny, cuz in our two-high help mentality, we're extremely susceptiple to crossing routed, flares, and outs anyway. Its was like double f'ing ourselves for the sake of it.

Which blows my mind because we have consistently had solid defensive backs. Good God stop the run and let them try to go over the top with your solid DBs

Which is also funny, cuz in our two-high help mentality, we're extremely susceptiple to crossing routed, flares, and outs anyway. Its was like double f'ing ourselves for the sake of it.

Gosh I don't want to think back on that game. But if I do, they were so handcuffed because they couldn't throw a lick. We had momentum early and the only thing left they could do was.....just try to run and hope for a miracle. I think they brought extra blocking help and abandoned the pass. That's all they had left to try before throwing in the towel. Big run after big run suddenly occurred. Worked out nicely for them. And in the soon-to-be near future we got a whole new coaching staff.

• Fire 1

Have our DBs look good because we have 5-6 guys back in pass coverage and not on an island?

exactly.......Bo never understood, playing nickel and dime will get you gashed on the ground repeatedly.......he was and is thicker than the cheeks of my ass! he just kept running that Big 12 defense that the B1G bitch slapped him for......repeatedly.

LOL...........gotta love that! spot on. Bo could never adjust. never.

Have our DBs look good because we have 5-6 guys back in pass coverage and not on an island?

Many seem to end up on NFL rosters

• Fire 1

Hedley's right. Our DB's were legit. Look at it this way. As complex as our pass defense system is, and as much as that complexity is to be blamed for the greivences against the run, we repeatedly put up one of the top defenses in the nation in terms of pass defense efficiency. And remember, we havent been much for pass rush either since Suh's been gone. So that's even more challenge for the secondary. I can only remember one time where the secondary was not good to great and that was the early stages of 2011 with all the young guys replacing that NFL secondary of 2010.

With guys like Gerry, Cockrell, Kalu, Davie, and Alexander, yeah, I'd have faith in any of them one on one down the field anyday.