Personally I feel like Riley has kind of already established a legacy. I mean, he's been at this a long time and is highly regarded by the College Football coaching world.

I know, I'm with you guys, I didn't know much about him until he came here.

I think all we really care about is what he does HERE, I know that's really what I'm interested in, but that doesn't erase Rilwys history and reputation. Fact is, Rikwys history and reputation blow Bo Pelini's out of the water.

Now we just need him to get it done here.

I don't think you all are talking about the same thing. One guy keeps questioning Rileys ability as a coach vs. Bo, but then keeps referencing what Riley has done at Nebraska. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Riley's done some fine recruiting, some damn good hiring in assistants and strength staff. He's been great with the fans and the media. He's a better coach than Bo and that was established before he ever got here.

Now he needs to put the icing on the cake and finish his career with some trophies at Nebraska.

• Fire 2

Oops I typed that before I saw we were trying to get back on track. Carry on.....

Linebackers is what worries me in this game. That QB of theirs could expose some inexperience if we get caught with our eyes turned. Taysoms running ability is scary but he throws a nice ball.

I'll be curious to see how we line up against them. Whether we'll use more nickel and dime or go straight up 4-3 on em for the majority. Obviously depends on their personnel but I think with our lack of depth at LB'er, maybe we see some mismatched coverages or some guys like Kalu, or Cockrell coming in place of a LB'er even if they look like they're gonna run.

We need speed with eyes on that QB of theirs.

Personally I feel like Riley has kind of already established a legacy. I mean, he's been at this a long time and is highly regarded by the College Football coaching world.

I know, I'm with you guys, I didn't know much about him until he came here.

I think all we really care about is what he does HERE, I know that's really what I'm interested in, but that doesn't erase Rilwys history and reputation. Fact is, Rikwys history and reputation blow Bo Pelini's out of the water.

Now we just need him to get it done here.

I don't think you all are talking about the same thing. One guy keeps questioning Rileys ability as a coach vs. Bo, but then keeps referencing what Riley has done at Nebraska. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Riley's done some fine recruiting, some damn good hiring in assistants and strength staff. He's been great with the fans and the media. He's a better coach than Bo and that was established before he ever got here.

Now he needs to put the icing on the cake and finish his career with some trophies at Nebraska.

I would type a long rant of all the things.......... I just think it's a waste of time.

:D

• Fire 1

Oops I typed that before I saw we were trying to get back on track. Carry on.....

Linebackers is what worries me in this game. That QB of theirs could expose some inexperience if we get caught with our eyes turned. Taysoms running ability is scary but he throws a nice ball.

I'll be curious to see how we line up against them. Whether we'll use more nickel and dime or go straight up 4-3 on em for the majority. Obviously depends on their personnel but I think with our lack of depth at LB'er, maybe we see some mismatched coverages or some guys like Kalu, or Cockrell coming in place of a LB'er even if they look like they're gonna run.

I love Riley, love the hire and loved him at OSU (LOVED the uniforms too) but, and I just thought of this, what if he is here for 4 years and goes like, 26-26...What does that do for Riley and his legacy? I can't see it happening but what if that did happen?

I can see your concern there, but I think shutting down the run game is going to force him to throw which could hopefully yield some turnovers...

Haha! You got me man! I even types that on my phone. Good lord I've got to work on trimming it down.

I get where people are coming from not wanting to jump all the way in by the way. I just respect the guy and I want to give him that respect til he gives me a reason not to.

I did the same for Bo. Eventually Bo gave me enough reasons and yet I still always tried to approach every season with that "this is the year " mindset. Even at the end.

Man I hope this time is different. Wouldn't the playoff be freaking awesome to be in? Hell yes it would.

Man our secondary could eat this guy alive! Along with almost every other QB we'll face this year.

Especially if the front four are cut loose and creating some heat. Collins,VV, Gangwish and McMullen cut loose! Holy crap look out.

That's why, even though their QB has shown some skill, I think it's going to be a tough day for him...

I wish I had the same optimism for our offense...

Man our secondary could eat this guy alive! Along with almost every other QB we'll face this year.

Especially if the front four are cut loose and creating some heat. Collins,VV, Gangwish and McMullen cut loose! Holy crap look out.

That's why, even though their QB has shown some skill, I think it's going to be a tough day for him...

I wish I had the same optimism for our offense...

Me too. Not having any idea what they'll look like is the hard part though. We got some really strong, physical, aggressive young dudes ready to make an impact on the offensive line. Still a huge question mark though.

Tommy has shown he can do it all, he just needs to do it consistently.

RB is deep, huge talent there especially after today's get, but what the hell do we really know about the guys? We've run the wheel's off our great RBs here the last couple guys. Experience is a huge concern.

WR is almost the same deal. A couple of known strengths with Westerkamp and maybe DPE?.......(kind of unknown, but shocked if he doesn't burst onto the scene). Then Reilly, Moore, Allen, Burtch (personally a big fan of Burtch), but what do we know about them? Only that they look great in practice. So?

Best thing I can say about it all and it's a huge plus, is that Langsdorf and Riley seem to have the right approach in not forcing these guys to be something their not. I think they're gonna utilize guys the right way, but how that is? Who knows? If the spring game is an indication though, I really like some of what we saw.

(back on computer, rants take a lot less time to type.)

• Fire 1

I love Riley, love the hire and loved him at OSU (LOVED the uniforms too) but, and I just thought of this, what if he is here for 4 years and goes like, 26-26...What does that do for Riley and his legacy? I can't see it happening but what if that did happen?
How about we don't throw virtually impossible hypotheticals out on the table? 26-26......really, you see that as a distinct possibility? OMG, what if Memorial Stadium caves in the week before the opener.....where or where will they play the game? I bet we lose because it won't be home field advantage. We're doomed.

Are those negative, worry wort friends of yours rubbing off again? I told ya, get some better friends.

Not to be a big buttinski but I need to chime in about Big Red's new coach as a big college football fan.

It seems like Mike Riley was hired as a reaction to the last coach who maybe wasn't very good at the PR part of the head coaching job and maybe not always a "fan's coach." Mike Riley is known as one of the nicest men in college football so he will connect with players and fans in Nebraska straight away.

Now in the meantime, Riley is one great football coach to. He did wonders with a team that never gets good recruits or anything at Oregon State.

And here's the best part of all, Riley has played and knows how to beat BYU. That's all that should matter now. If the coach can crush BYU, he'll be off to a good start. Please beat the Kewgers.

hey, we're just excited his 2012 Oregon State team beat Wisconsin 10-7 the same year they hung 70 on Nebraska.

He beat USC too :corndance

Oh yeah, SC was no. 1 at the time and Riley's RB went for 186 yards.

Wait.... He ran the ball? Mind = Blown 😲

As long as he does it here.

...........so the BYU game,.....thoughts?

My thoughts are we'll probably score 20-30 points. BYU doesn't out-athlete Nebraska, but, IMO, they have the better signal caller. The question is, can the defense stop Hill? Yes, he's not an elite thrower, but we've also had a hell of a time with guys like him for, oh, a decade or so. The game comes down to Banker and his ability to stop him. Come out early, and put immediate pressure on him. Force him to throw quickly, and often. Do not, under any circumstances, let him hang back and choose a spot to throw, or pick a lane to run. If the offense can sustain 5+ longer drives, and the defense can hit him early and often, we can win by 7-10 points. On the flip side, the OL needs to protect Tommy. We don't need him getting knocked out like Sam Bradford in 2009.

It's Riley's first game, and it's a 3:30PM national broadcast on ABC. There is going to be a rather large audience watching this game. Don't lay an egg.

My thoughts are we'll probably score 20-30 points. BYU doesn't out-athlete Nebraska, but, IMO, they have the better signal caller. The question is, can the defense stop Hill? Yes, he's not an elite thrower, but we've also had a hell of a time with guys like him for, oh, a decade or so. The game comes down to Banker and his ability to stop him. Come out early, and put immediate pressure on him. Force him to throw quickly, and often. Do not, under any circumstances, let him hang back and choose a spot to throw, or pick a lane to run. If the offense can sustain 5+ longer drives, and the defense can hit him early and often, we can win by 7-10 points. On the flip side, the OL needs to protect Tommy. We don't need him getting knocked out like Sam Bradford in 2009.

It's Riley's first game, and it's a 3:30PM national broadcast on ABC. There is going to be a rather large audience watching this game. Don't lay an egg.

Yes, this one, Big Red's coaches need to be super careful and watch for dirty hits coming from the Kewgers. BYU's coaching staff says that their defense "plays on the edge" which really just means they're dirty. They have to rely on dirtiness to make up for their talent gap.

If you look at the QBs who have been taken out of games and suffered prolonged injuries while playing BYU the list is very long. In 2013, Utah State's Heisman contender QB was taken out for the season by a hit from BYU in a game the Aggies likely would've won. In 2009, Sam Bradford was taken out by BYU in a game Oklahoma would've won for guaranteed. There's a number of others like Connecticut's QB last year was taken out against BYU. If you watch the replay of the brawl the Kewgers started with Memphis it tells you a lot.

The Kewgers are angry probably partly because no conference wants them and stuff after they were encouraged to leave the MWC.

You will need to watch for helmet to helmets, low blocks, hits after the whistle, and stuff like that.

• Fire 1

There is one BIG difference that may play a roll in most of our games, including BYU, this year. We now have a coaching staff that should not be hesitant to make in game adjustments. We have become so conditioned to watching our Huskers play and when some aspect is not working (like Wisconsin rushing at will on us) we failed to make any changes primarily because of one stubborn guy. I am very excited to see what happens in the new regime when something isn't working. I think quicker and more substantial changes will be made and that will have limitless positive effects on the outcome of games that we just plain haven't been used to seeing for quite awhile. The BYU game will be an excellent opportunity to see this change. I might be high on the Kool-Aid but IMO this one thing alone could be huge for us.