The Pelini staff made in-game adjustments. We talked about how refreshing it was to see them do this when they took over for Callahan. As recently as last year's Northwestern game, they made adjustments at half and took over the game in the 3rd & 4th quarter.

There's a bit of historic misremembering that's going on with Pelini, probably not intentionally, but once these things gain momentum they become part of the folklore. Pelini made adjustments. Just not always, and not always the right ones.

• Fire 5

Oops I typed that before I saw we were trying to get back on track. Carry on.....

Linebackers is what worries me in this game. That QB of theirs could expose some inexperience if we get caught with our eyes turned. Taysoms running ability is scary but he throws a nice ball.

I'll be curious to see how we line up against them. Whether we'll use more nickel and dime or go straight up 4-3 on em for the majority. Obviously depends on their personnel but I think with our lack of depth at LB'er, maybe we see some mismatched coverages or some guys like Kalu, or Cockrell coming in place of a LB'er even if they look like they're gonna run.

We need speed with eyes on that QB of theirs.

I love Riley, love the hire and loved him at OSU (LOVED the uniforms too) but, and I just thought of this, what if he is here for 4 years and goes like, 26-26...What does that do for Riley and his legacy? I can't see it happening but what if that did happen?

If he coaches 52 games in 4 years he either goes to a bowl game each year or wins one natty.

He's already got a WAY better staff and better recruits than efftard. I doubt there's any way he could do worse.

The next couple of years it's just a question of how well he can manage the leftovers and how quickly he can purge the Panini mindset from the players.

The Pelini staff made in-game adjustments. We talked about how refreshing it was to see them do this when they took over for Callahan. As recently as last year's Northwestern game, they made adjustments at half and took over the game in the 3rd & 4th quarter.

There's a bit of historic misremembering that's going on with Pelini, probably not intentionally, but once these things gain momentum they become part of the folklore. Pelini made adjustments. Just not always, and not always the right ones.

Yup. This is a poplar myth with pretty much every fanbase when it comes to coaching changes. Same with the bigger/faster/stronger/closer talk of the offseason.

• Fire 1

I did not intend to claim that Bo never made any adjustments. But we are all very familiar with the obvious occasions when changes were not made. A couple Wisconsin games stand at the top of that list. So let's not pretend that this was not an issue under the previous regime. It was, and it just might be one area where we experience tremendous growth.

I think that's possibly the first time I've seen anyone insinuate that no adjustments were made. Maybe I'm wrong.

Most people feel like poor adjustments were made, not enough were made, or purely game planning for a team all around was questionable. The scheme obviously had issues as well as execution of that scheme,

Having Randy Gregory stand up and move around like a 3-4 linebacker one half, then moving him back onto the line of scrimmage for the other half does count as an adjustemn I guess? I always thought it was pretty stupid personally.

I'd have adjusted by stacking the box or attacking like McNeese State attacked us when Wisconsin was pounding the rock on us every year, but that's just me.

This isn't folklore or rewriting history on Pelini. There are records in the books right now, numbers that have never been run up on a Blackshirt defense, and hopefully/probably never will be again. They all came at the hands of this "defensive guru".

You don't need to rewrite anything, thiseno folklore or myths, its all in black and white and part of our a factual history now.

I've seen a few times where people said Pelini never made any adjustments. That reply wasn't directed at anyone in particular, which is why I didn't quote JJ. It was a response to a theme of posts I've seen over the past several months.

The theme seems to be "F you, F you Bo, you can kiss our ass on the way out the door because the day finally came".........

• Fire 1

I've seen a few times where people said Pelini never made any adjustments. That reply wasn't directed at anyone in particular, which is why I didn't quote JJ. It was a response to a theme of posts I've seen over the past several months.

The theme seems to be "F you, F you Bo, you can kiss our ass on the way out the door because the day finally came".........

True Dat! and I would have liked to have a boot in his ass all the way up the interstate until he left the state. When he said "FU to the fans and we could kiss his ass" I took that personally. Now back to the topic, they sucked at adjustments. When a opposing player reaches 300 yards on your sorry excuse for a defense, (in a couple of quarters), my seventh grade coach would have gathered the team together and said, " there are eleven of you out there, that guy does not get another yard, know where he is and attack him". UCLA a couple of years ago comes to mind as another big example of incompetence, there are a hundred more.....

My take, is people think Bo didn't know how to coach defense, when in fact he is a defensive genius, he just doesn't know how to coach kids. Some confuse and/or don't know how to separate the two.

Listen to the PJ Smith interview last year, listen to Nate Gerry just today, the defense didn't communicate or listen to each other. In his scheme that relies heavily on communication, certain players were being selfish and not communicating, trying to be the hero and make the big play, instead of playing their role and allowing teammates to make the play. That falls on the players, but it also falls on Bo and his assistants not finding a way to get through to those mental midgets.

I think he is a smart man when it comes to football, but I'm glad he is gone. Being a sm mind doesn't equate to being a good teacher/coach and player developer. He worked out OK in the beginning because he had players that were sick of Callahan and those losing ways, that grasping onto his new, fresh ideas that showed results were worth trusting him. He then failed to grow that, let alone sustain that level of play. He lost trust in his players and as it appeared, control of a program.

Glad Bo's gone and glad we have Riley. There will be flaws we find in Riley and his staff, but there is plenty more upside to like and be optimistic about. Coming from a high school program that spent at least 15 years going to Oregon St football camps, knowing kids that walked on for him, our coach almost took a scouting job under Riley while with the Chargers, other coaches of mine - one being my friends dad - that met him and got to know him, there is a lot be happy about and not just off the field traits.

• Fire 1

My take, is people think Bo didn't know how to coach defense, when in fact he is a defensive genius, he just doesn't know how to coach kids. Some confuse and/or don't know how to separate the two.

Gotta disagree with how you said that.

Bo knows defense. Bo knows a lot about defense.

Coaching is teaching. If Bo couldn't teach his players, then Bo doesn't know how to coach defense. I think you're actually confusing the two. Coaching is teaching others, it doesn't matter what you know if you can't get your players to execute it.

Now the way I've always seen it, Bo had some early success here in 2003 and his first couple years as a HC and I've always kind of had a theory as to why. Now, Ndamukong Suh would be the easy answer for some of that early defensive success as a HC, but thats only part of it.

I think Bo's early success can be attributed purely to K.I.S.S. Keep it simple stupid.

In 2003 Bo knew he didn't have a lot of time to teach all the philosophies, aspects, in and out's of his complicated defensive scheme, so he stuck to the basics. He got the kids on the same page quickly with some of the more simple aspects of his scheme and it worked. It paid off huge. Tons of turnovers in that 2003 year. Much the same in 2009-2010, I think the team was still executing some of the simpler aspects, like I said Suh helped a lot, but it didn't seem like the defense was as confused and we didn't hear about lack of execution after each game as much.

The further we went and the more he threw at them, the more problems it created. You lose an elite, maybe one of the best of all time talents at DT, you throw the book at the guys on defense because over time you expect them to be able to do more and more. I think it became too much and execution fell.

Simply, we got "too cute" and too complex. Bo had these grand theories of how it "should" be, but couldn't coach his guys to put it on the field.

Just a theory of mine, I could be way off though.

• Fire 1

Coaching is teaching. If Bo couldn't teach his players, then Bo doesn't know how to coach defense. I think you're actually confusing the two. Coaching is teaching others, it doesn't matter what you know if you can't get your players to execute it.

Now the way I've always seen it, Bo had some early success here in 2003 and his first couple years as a HC and I've always kind of had a theory as to why. Now, Ndamukong Suh would be the easy answer for some of that early defensive success as a HC, but thats only part of it.

I think Bo's early success can be attributed purely to K.I.S.S. Keep it simple stupid.

In 2003 Bo knew he didn't have a lot of time to teach all the philosophies, aspects, in and out's of his complicated defensive scheme, so he stuck to the basics. He got the kids on the same page quickly with some of the more simple aspects of his scheme and it worked. It paid off huge. Tons of turnovers in that 2003 year. Much the same in 2009-2010, I think the team was still executing some of the simpler aspects, like I said Suh helped a lot, but it didn't seem like the defense was as confused and we didn't hear about lack of execution after each game as much.

The further we went and the more he threw at them, the more problems it created. You lose an elite, maybe one of the best of all time talents at DT, you throw the book at the guys on defense because over time you expect them to be able to do more and more. I think it became too much and execution fell.

Simply, we got "too cute" and too complex. Bo had these grand theories of how it "should" be, but couldn't coach his guys to put it on the field.

I'd agree with that. Methinks he got so far down the rabbit hole he tried to scheme himself out of it, and it didn't work.

I think Bo is good at coaching a certain aspect of defense. It seemed like we often heard he was taking over a certain position, and then that position got better. What he couldn't do was manage coaches or delegate. Or pick the right coaches.

I really believe if Solich hadn't been fired we would have been very good with him as defensive coordinator. I think there was a year where Pelini was focusing on offense too, maybe in 2011? I can't remember. He didn't have coaches he trusted to do their jobs. Or he just can't trust anyone (except maybe Carl).

IMO part of what makes a good head coach is being willing to hire people who are better than you at a small aspect of the game. Pelini just hired a bunch of yes men who'd do what he told them, which meant he was telling way too many people what to do. I.e. micromanaging.

I understand where you're coming from, but I feel like you're mincing my words.

He knows his stuff and some people like to bash him or mock him for being penned as a "defensive genius." It's not as if he forgot how to attack an offense, he lacked relating his ideas to his players and implementing his schemes. Those that understood the defense did thrive, those that didn't were continuously out of position and made the whole team look bad.

It also doesn't help when he has players lacking discipline within the scheme or even adjusting to keys and communicating with teammates i.e. his blowup on Daniel Davie for not making a simple crack back call, instead following the WR into the LB, abandoning the flat and allowing Gordon to streak down the sideline untouched before Gerry ran him down...30-40 yards later. As a corner, that should be one of the most basic calls to make.