but if Bo was a good as people think 408 wouldn't of happened.

What amazes me is the same guy that allowed 408, also crafted one of the best, if not the best, defenses in school history.
In my eyes at least, it's as simple as his scheme just wasn't effective against power running teams and spread quarterbacks. That's why it was more effective with a two linebacker set in the big 12 and why we got ran over by Wisconsin most years in the B1G. I think Bo knows his sh#t on defense but his system was so complex it petrified players that tried to do too much stopping the run and hindering our overall effectiveness.

Being an effective defensive cordinator means adapting and Bo was unwilling to change because he was so stubborn. It was his way being thrashed or up by 35.

The glaring difference between playing say Sparty and playing Wiscy tell most of the story. We would get steamrolled by one team and hold the other to minimal gains. We just seemed to be able to stacknup against Sparty but could do nothing to contain Bucky. His schemed did several things very very well, but left other areas almost completely uncovered. Still baffles me he ignored stopping the run as much as he did.

In my eyes at least, it's as simple as his scheme just wasn't effective against power running teams and spread quarterbacks. That's why it was more effective with a two linebacker set in the big 12 and why we got ran over by Wisconsin most years in the B1G. I think Bo knows his sh#t on defense but his system was so complex it petrified players that tried to do too much stopping the run and hindering our overall effectiveness.

It is still odd. In 2012, we faced Wisconsin and Ball/Gordon twice. The first time, 41 rushes for 56 yards. Nine weeks later, 50 rushes for 539 yards. It is hard to explain.

It is still odd. In 2012, we faced Wisconsin and Ball/Gordon twice. The first time, 41 rushes for 56 yards. Nine weeks later, 50 rushes for 539 yards. It is hard to explain.
Bo prepped for the same exact scheme while Wisconsin ran off tackle and outside the entire time in the championship game. Two completey different running games as opposed to them running up the gut in Lincoln.

That's what's crazy. Didn't even look like the same team.

But I'm pretty sure they figured out the "key" to our defense. That may seem like an obvious statement but what I mean is they figured out how to get us to line up a certain way and knew what play to call based on that. If you watch last year's game, they are doing a lot of motioning to change the strength of the formation. Not motioning a WR all the way across, just a TE or someone like that from one side to the other. I think they figured out how we would adjust to the motion and used it to their advantage. That's the only thing I can come up with for the drastic change.

But I'm pretty sure they figured out the "key" to our defense. That may seem like an obvious statement but what I mean is they figured out how to get us to line up a certain way and knew what play to call based on that. If you watch last year's game, they are doing a lot of motioning to change the strength of the formation. Not motioning a WR all the way across, just a TE or someone like that from one side to the other. I think they figured out how we would adjust to the motion and used it to their advantage. That's the only thing I can come up with for the drastic change.

Nope, its not crazy at all. Its exactly how it happens.

I praise Urban Meyer constantly for this. He will make subtle changes, especially with his offensive line, once he figures out who/what your defense's keys or reads are, he will use them against you. He did it when they played us and we even knew what they changed, but the scheme was so overly complex that is couldn't be solved just by fixing one guy. If you fixed one, then you had to fix this, and this....on and on, it was such a read and react based defense, really emphasizing position of each individual, that once our scheme was diagnosed, it was basically like having to go back to the drawing board and start over. Obviously, starting over in the midst of a game is impossible to do. That's why you see Bo screaming at individuals on the sideline and the "panic" set in. Because they know they've been figured out and they're trying to get their defenders to make these changes in the game, but the guys minds are so wrapped up in all of it, it was an impossible task. Bo would always go back to blaming the players for not executing, in reality, Bo and his staff prided themselves on being "wizards" of diagnosing opposing offenses and knowing exactly how to stop them. Finding that "perfect" play call for everything they did. It worked for awhile. Until the opponent figured out what exactly the "wizards" were keying on. Then they beat them to death with it.

The better coaches we faced, were better at discovering these keys and using them against us.

Think about it. Bo's defense was based so much on "the eyes", making your read and positioning yourself in these spill/lever techniques. Well, when you practice all week on trusting your eyes and reacting to what you see, you go into the game thinking you know what to look for. When Ohio St. or Wisconsin knows all too well exactly what you're looking for, they use it against you. Our defenders would make the same mistakes over and over and it wasn't their fault necessarily. They were doing what they had been taught to do all week long.

These coaches out-coached themselves far too often. Adjustments were so difficult to make because it meant getting all 11 guys back on the same page again.

It's why I always felt bad for the guys. I think every instinct in them was telling them one thing, and the coaching they've received was telling them something else.

It's time for the players to trust their instincts a little bit more, and it's time for the coaches to trust their players a bit more.

• Fire 3

Nope, its not crazy at all. Its exactly how it happens.

I praise Urban Meyer constantly for this. He will make subtle changes, especially with his offensive line, once he figures out who/what your defense's keys or reads are, he will use them against you. He did it when they played us and we even knew what they changed, but the scheme was so overly complex that is couldn't be solved just by fixing one guy. If you fixed one, then you had to fix this, and this....on and on, it was such a read and react based defense, really emphasizing position of each individual, that once our scheme was diagnosed, it was basically like having to go back to the drawing board and start over. Obviously, starting over in the midst of a game is impossible to do. That's why you see Bo screaming at individuals on the sideline and the "panic" set in. Because they know they've been figured out and they're trying to get their defenders to make these changes in the game, but the guys minds are so wrapped up in all of it, it was an impossible task. Bo would always go back to blaming the players for not executing, in reality, Bo and his staff prided themselves on being "wizards" of diagnosing opposing offenses and knowing exactly how to stop them. Finding that "perfect" play call for everything they did. It worked for awhile. Until the opponent figured out what exactly the "wizards" were keying on. Then they beat them to death with it.

The better coaches we faced, were better at discovering these keys and using them against us.

Think about it. Bo's defense was based so much on "the eyes", making your read and positioning yourself in these spill/lever techniques. Well, when you practice all week on trusting your eyes and reacting to what you see, you go into the game thinking you know what to look for. When Ohio St. or Wisconsin knows all too well exactly what you're looking for, they use it against you. Our defenders would make the same mistakes over and over and it wasn't their fault necessarily. They were doing what they had been taught to do all week long.

These coaches out-coached themselves far too often. Adjustments were so difficult to make because it meant getting all 11 guys back on the same page again.

It's why I always felt bad for the guys. I think every instinct in them was telling them one thing, and the coaching they've received was telling them something else.

It's time for the players to trust their instincts a little bit more, and it's time for the coaches to trust their players a bit more.

Didn't Lavonte not play with in the system? If I remember he was thrown in a game due to injuries, he hadn't mastered the scheme yet but there was no choice. He played lights out, made his own high light reel, but Bo was irate that he did so well by not paying attention to "the scheme" but he had no choice but to play him.

He's "swimming in it" was the term I thought I remembered being used to describe Lavonte in Bo's defensive scheme. All while Bo's saying Lavonte is struggling to grasp the scheme, Lavonte is setting tackling records.

I think I'm glad we aren't in that scheme anymore. 408 was more than enough to make me sure of that.

• Fire 1

He's "swimming in it" was the term I thought I remembered being used to describe Lavonte in Bo's defensive scheme. All while Bo's saying Lavonte is struggling to grasp the scheme, Lavonte is setting tackling records.

I think I'm glad we aren't in that scheme anymore. 408 was more than enough to make me sure of that.

It is weird, When Bo was playing a typcical Big 12 spread team I felt 100% awesome. When he was playing any other type of team I felt like Bo was the one swimming in it. It was such a contrast

That's what I remember as well.

It is weird, When Bo was playing a typcical Big 12 spread team I felt 100% awesome. When he was playing any other type of team I felt like Bo was the one swimming in it. It was such a contrast
Bo knows pass defense. Run defense - not so much.

The other day I was watching some of the Dallas Cowboys' training camp on ESPN and Gruden was explaining some of the intricacies of their running game. I couldn't help but be reminded of all the comments about how Bo would make a great NFL coordinator. If Wisconsin's running game is too sophisticated to figure out in 4 years, there's just no way he's hang with the pros. It's a whole other level.

Bo knows pass defense. Run defense - not so much.

The other day I was watching some of the Dallas Cowboys' training camp on ESPN and Gruden was explaining some of the intricacies of their running game. I couldn't help but be reminded of all the comments about how Bo would make a great NFL coordinator. If Wisconsin's running game is too sophisticated to figure out in 4 years, there's just no way he's hang with the pros. It's a whole other level.

Especially when it's the same four plays over again.

Nebraska doesn't have any worry about playing BYU now. It's a sure win because BYU's star RB and one of a few players with talent has been withdrawn from school. The stable at RB at BYU is empty because the RB recruit that may have been a legitimate threat at BYU got into trouble with a prostitute in Texas.

So they key to beating BYU became simple. All Big Red will need to is contain Taysom Hill's ability to run. BYU won't have much of a passing game or a running game neither aside from the QB. Put a speedy spy on Hill and the BYU will be stopped ice cold.

BYU will be an easy win for quality teams like Nebraska, Utah State, and UCLA this season.