The Ongoing State of Ferguson/Systemic Racial Prejudice in the USA

How freaking hard is it to put cameras on cops to ensure this crap stops? The black on black crime is irrelevant and a distractor to the larger issue, which is only perpetuated by the media. What's sad is you can currently watch a liquor store go up in flames as a mother and her baby are evacuated from their home right next door. Today's events fall solely on the city's elected officials.

First thing, as soon as the death happened - there needed to be immediate response by the police department and mayor to get an in depth investigation going. He'll you've seen what happens when swift action doesn't occur ( Ferguson, NYC, etc). Second the mayor and the department totally crapped the bed when it came to preparing for protest. Hell the mayor said she'd give the protestors space to "Destroy". Oh that's good - because whether she meant that or used a poor choice of words, any low life opportunistic thug is going to take that quite literally and have a bush league excuse for his/her action.

Also, the amount of police and national guard deployed to protect the law abiding citizen of Baltimore was an absolute joke. The second those kids and protestors started throwing the bricks and alcohol bottles at cops, mass amount of arrest should've been made. All of the coverage tonight showed that the cops were essentially punching bags and that does little to restore any faith or credibility in the department. It's very, very disturbing from the inexcusable severed spinal cord of the victim to the failure of a city and publicly funded entity to protect those that need it. The only bright spot of the day was the video of the mother slapping her son upside the head, due to him participating in the looting. Good for her, comes to show that not everyone is a product of their environment.

Here is the problem I have with what you wrote.

Contrast this with how the police reacted in Ferguson and the public's reaction. In Ferguson, there was immediate reaction from the police when they knew there would be riots. They came in with force. Worked to take control and arrest anyone who was causing problems. What??? The public was outraged with video of police in armored trucks and confronting rioters. They were told they were doing everything wrong because they need to come out of their military vehicles and allow the anger to be shown and then it would subside on it's own.

NOW...in Baltimore, the BLACK mayor has said repeatedly that they did not want to commit the same mistakes as other communities (Ferguson) and they were going to contain the violence and rioting to the neighborhood but they were not going to come in with a large military force to break it up. The public is outraged because they didn't go in with force and stop it.

These people are in a no win situation due to past racism, poor parenting and family structures with roll models, and poor leadership from the black community.

This morning CNN was interviewing a local minister who had worked to stop the violence. How?? He had met with the Bloods and Crips and got them to sign peace treaty and work together to try to stop the "Purge". WTF???? Obviously the gang sh#t heads (who has done more damage to cause these problems in these neighborhoods than anyone) are way out of their league in trying to stop anything.

How are the black leaders guilty? Here is just one example from the past that has lead to this way of thinking by these people. I remember many years ago two black kids got into a fight at a football game in Illinois. They were caught and expelled from school. What did the black leadership do? Jessy Jackson shows up on TV claiming racism because those black kids shouldn't have been expelled from school. The school had a no tolerance rule on fighting but that wasn't good enough for good ol' Jessy. So, what lesson was taught to those kids by the black leadership?

This entire thing is an f'ed up mess. People in these communities are sitting and just waiting for anything that even appears to be wrong by the police so they can become thugs and criminals.

NONE of us know exactly what happened with this guy when he was with the police. Everyone says "He shouldn't have died". Really? How do you know it's the police's fault? I haven't seen anything that leads me to believe that other than he was in their custody when it happened. Everyone is upset that the investigation "didn't start immediately. Well, if there hasn't been a full investigation, how does everyone know it's the police's fault he's dead?

All these riots will burn more buildings down. It will calm down over time. Years from now the buildings won't be rebuilt and these kids will then be adults crying that they don't have a nice neighborhood to live in. IT MUST BE RACISM BECAUSE WHITE PEOPLE DON"T LIVE AMONG BURNED OUT BUILDINGS.

Well I'm not really sure what problem you have with what I wrote, because other than your first paragraph - your post echos a lot of the same stuff I said...

I should have clarified a little more.

My only problem was with your second paragraph criticizing the city for not controlling the situation more. My point was, in Ferguson they were criticized for doing too much.

Looks to me that they are going to be criticized no matter what they do.

I gotcha now, absolutely agree its a damned if you do damned if you don't situation. I think my originally post could've been a bit clearer as well - hard to make sure you're expressing your full thought, in a concise manner, on the iPhone screen (knew i should've gone with a 6+)

I just think it is completely inconsiderate to the police officers' safety, that elected officials state that they are going to give those that wish to "destroy" the space to do so. The officers were essentially placed out their to be disrespected and violated. I can sympathize with the anger and peaceful protest of some, but the opportunist who are stealing cars and driving then right up to the barricade line of officers should not be tolerated. But hell, let them all get their free alcohol, burn down neighborhood markets, and then propose a curfew the next night....makes sense. I'm not buying the bs the mayor is spitting saying that the national guard wasn't ready, or they didn't have the resources. I'm pretty sure the Governor came out and said he was waiting for her call essentially all day. YOU SHOULD'VE BEEN PREPARING ALL WEEKEND FOR THIS.... that is my major grievance of the city not controlling the situation.

• Fire 1

How freaking hard is it to put cameras on cops to ensure this crap stops? The black on black crime is irrelevant and a distractor to the larger issue, which is only perpetuated by the media. What's sad is you can currently watch a liquor store go up in flames as a mother and her baby are evacuated from their home right next door. Today's events fall solely on the city's elected officials.

First thing, as soon as the death happened - there needed to be immediate response by the police department and mayor to get an in depth investigation going. He'll you've seen what happens when swift action doesn't occur ( Ferguson, NYC, etc). Second the mayor and the department totally crapped the bed when it came to preparing for protest. Hell the mayor said she'd give the protestors space to "Destroy". Oh that's good - because whether she meant that or used a poor choice of words, any low life opportunistic thug is going to take that quite literally and have a bush league excuse for his/her action.

Also, the amount of police and national guard deployed to protect the law abiding citizen of Baltimore was an absolute joke. The second those kids and protestors started throwing the bricks and alcohol bottles at cops, mass amount of arrest should've been made. All of the coverage tonight showed that the cops were essentially punching bags and that does little to restore any faith or credibility in the department. It's very, very disturbing from the inexcusable severed spinal cord of the victim to the failure of a city and publicly funded entity to protect those that need it. The only bright spot of the day was the video of the mother slapping her son upside the head, due to him participating in the looting. Good for her, comes to show that not everyone is a product of their environment.

Here is the problem I have with what you wrote.

Contrast this with how the police reacted in Ferguson and the public's reaction. In Ferguson, there was immediate reaction from the police when they knew there would be riots. They came in with force. Worked to take control and arrest anyone who was causing problems. What??? The public was outraged with video of police in armored trucks and confronting rioters. They were told they were doing everything wrong because they need to come out of their military vehicles and allow the anger to be shown and then it would subside on it's own.

NOW...in Baltimore, the BLACK mayor has said repeatedly that they did not want to commit the same mistakes as other communities (Ferguson) and they were going to contain the violence and rioting to the neighborhood but they were not going to come in with a large military force to break it up. The public is outraged because they didn't go in with force and stop it.

These people are in a no win situation due to past racism, poor parenting and family structures with roll models, and poor leadership from the black community.

This morning CNN was interviewing a local minister who had worked to stop the violence. How?? He had met with the Bloods and Crips and got them to sign peace treaty and work together to try to stop the "Purge". WTF???? Obviously the gang sh#t heads (who has done more damage to cause these problems in these neighborhoods than anyone) are way out of their league in trying to stop anything.

How are the black leaders guilty? Here is just one example from the past that has lead to this way of thinking by these people. I remember many years ago two black kids got into a fight at a football game in Illinois. They were caught and expelled from school. What did the black leadership do? Jessy Jackson shows up on TV claiming racism because those black kids shouldn't have been expelled from school. The school had a no tolerance rule on fighting but that wasn't good enough for good ol' Jessy. So, what lesson was taught to those kids by the black leadership?

This entire thing is an f'ed up mess. People in these communities are sitting and just waiting for anything that even appears to be wrong by the police so they can become thugs and criminals.

NONE of us know exactly what happened with this guy when he was with the police. Everyone says "He shouldn't have died". Really? How do you know it's the police's fault? I haven't seen anything that leads me to believe that other than he was in their custody when it happened. Everyone is upset that the investigation "didn't start immediately. Well, if there hasn't been a full investigation, how does everyone know it's the police's fault he's dead?

All these riots will burn more buildings down. It will calm down over time. Years from now the buildings won't be rebuilt and these kids will then be adults crying that they don't have a nice neighborhood to live in. IT MUST BE RACISM BECAUSE WHITE PEOPLE DON"T LIVE AMONG BURNED OUT BUILDINGS.

Well I'm not really sure what problem you have with what I wrote, because other than your first paragraph - your post echos a lot of the same stuff I said...

I should have clarified a little more.

My only problem was with your second paragraph criticizing the city for not controlling the situation more. My point was, in Ferguson they were criticized for doing too much.

Looks to me that they are going to be criticized no matter what they do.

I gotcha now, absolutely agree its a damned if you do damned if you don't situation. I think my originally post could've been a bit clearer as well - hard to make sure you're expressing your full thought, in a concise manner, on the iPhone screen (knew i should've gone with a 6+)

I just think it is completely inconsiderate to the police officers' safety, that elected officials state that they are going to give those that wish to "destroy" the space to do so. The officers were essentially placed out their to be disrespected and violated. I can sympathize with the anger and peaceful protest of some, but the opportunist who are stealing cars and driving then right up to the barricade line of officers should not be tolerated. But hell, let them all get their free alcohol, burn down neighborhood markets, and then propose a curfew the next night....makes sense. I'm not buying the bs the mayor is spitting saying that the national guard wasn't ready, or they didn't have the resources. I'm pretty sure the Governor came out and said he was waiting for her call essentially all day. YOU SHOULD'VE BEEN PREPARING ALL WEEKEND FOR THIS.... that is my major grievance of the city not controlling the situation.

I agree. It reminds me of when Bush was ridiculed and actually some said he purposely killed black people because he didn't send troops into New Orleans after Katrina. In fact, the mayor and governor said they had it handled after being asked repeatedly if they need help. You can't send guard troops in without the consent of the local government.

BUT...the mayor is sitting there saying..."I'm not going to do what they did in Ferguson."

• Fire 1

This actually lets me gain a little more respect for Ray Lewis.

Will Compton retweeted

45]

n1iz4mg6_bigger.pngBleacher Report@BleacherReport 3h3 hours ago

VIDEO: Ray Lewis speaks out passionately against Baltimore riots: "Kids go home! Stay home!" http://ble.ac/1EjnCU0

"Violence is never the answer" unless some dude tries to start stuff with you in Atlanta during the super bowl. Then violence is ok, right Ray?

Not that I condone the sh#t going on tonight, but what you're asking doesn't exist. You don't think black people want justice and still want convictions and arrests when attacked by other black people? Noone is or has said that crime between African-Americans isn't a problem; only that 'blackness' has nothing to do with that problem. Black-on-black and white-on-white crime statistics are about the same. There aren't riots because 'black-on-black' crime is just crime, period. Police crime, on the other hand, isn't just crime. Police are a special category, in that they are charged and instructed and choose to work a job of protecting and serving the public.

Any person would react differently to the same crime committed by a regular citizen as opposed to being committed by a police officer. I would be a hell of a lot more enraged and inclined to seek out justice if a cop punched me in the face without provocation than I would if some regular douche at a bar did.

Some helpful links:

http://www.thenation.com/article/192361/about-black-black-crime

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/julia-craven/what-does-blackonblack-cr_b_6239360.html

No they do, but why don't they riot when the crime is black on black? The minute somebody that isn't black is involved, it becomes a hot button issue, Rev Al Sharpton shows up, and it's the same dog and pony show we've seen in Ferguson?

Yeah, but when was the last time you saw city blocks in flames because of a white guy getting smoked by a black guy?

You'll never see city blocks in flames because of a black person killing a white person, because white people haven't been historically brutalized by black people throughout history. Kind of like the same idea but opposite effect of how Nebraska fans would absolutely lose their sh#t in furious outrage if we lost to Kansas over the years, while Kansas fans were bummed out but hardly up in arms over losing to Nebraska. Unequal reactions due to varying circumstances.

The reason people are rioting is because of crime, or perceived crime, by police officers. They aren't rioting because of crime by white people. The fact that the number of police officers that are white is disproportionately high is an interesting element, and definitely plays into it, but isn't the defining characteristic of why people are rioting. There are black policemen that have been on duty actively trying to contain riots in Ferguson, and Baltimore, and other places.

Oh? So why else are they throwing full cans of pop and other crap at unsuspecting white folk in the city? They literally dragged out a white store owner and beat him. Why did they do that? He's not police...

Look up some vids on youtube. Lots of people getting recordings of what is taking place.

Oh? So why else are they throwing full cans of pop and other crap at unsuspecting white folk in the city? They literally dragged out a white store owner and beat him. Why did they do that? He's not police...

Look up some vids on youtube. Lots of people getting recordings of what is taking place.

I'll make this really simple.

If Freddie Gray had his spine crushed and died at the hands of a regular white citizen, there would be no riots.

If Freddie Gray had his spine crushed and died at the hands of police officers, there would be riots. And there are.

If Freddie Gray had his spine crushed and died at the hands of a regular white citizen, there would be no riots.

If Freddie Gray had his spine crushed and died at the hands of police officers, there would be riots. And there are.

It doesn't matter. The fact remains that these people rioting turned a "peaceful protest" about injustice into a freaking street race war and are TARGETING unsuspecting white people, because they are WHITE. Not because of Freddie Gray.

I bet half the people "protesting" use this injustice garbage to have a reason to somehow justify their actions of beating people, looting, and setting fire to crap.

What more do these people want? They suspended the 6 officers...they were doing a full investigation. These people just want a reason to act crazy.

• Fire 1

You live in Columbus, Nebraska, right?

You live in Columbus, Nebraska, right?

I live in Chicago.

I live in Chicago.

Ok, so you have seen some bad neighborhoods.

The fact you think this is going on just because it's "white cops" is naive. You think if some white guys caused this guy to have a spinal injury, there would be a different reaction.

Anyways, this guy had a nice little rap sheet, and everyone is defending this guy like he's jesus christ.

In the past year, in the town where I live a 17 year old kid got stabbed yesterday and in the past year a 15 yr old, a 14 yr old and a 12 yr old have been killed. Where's the moral outrage there, where's the rioting because kids are getting killed, and not some drugged out douchebag. Where's Rev Al and the other "leaders of the community?

There need to be more moms like Ms Graham whipping their kids asses in the middle of the street...

http://abc7.com/news/video-angry-baltimore-mom-beats-son-suspected-of-rioting/684791/