Defensive scheme concerns

I was a little concerned when I read that they have the whole defense besides goalline installed and it was like day 5 or 6 of a new staffs spring ball. Hard to imagine installing ur whole def package and teaching the fundamental techniques it would take to execute ur defense.

Actually, that is not really all that uncommon to have all the basic defense inserted within 4-5 practices. Basic coverages are the same no matter what. Cover 1,2,3, etc don't change just because the coaches do.

IMO the reason why BP couldn't stop the run was because he never thought he needed to adjust his basic philosophy to stop a great running team. His scheme to stop the run is sound on paper, but when put into practice it puts too much stress on LBs and Safeties to make the right plays one on one against great running teams in the Big 10. He was unwilling to give up his pass coverage to commit more to the run. Against the pass happy big 12 or other spread teams in the big 10 his defense is great, but it isn't designed to stop power run teams which is what Whisky, MSU, OSU, Minnesota, PSU, and now Michigan will be.

I have said this before, if you watched the Wisconsin/Minnesota game last year both teams literally had all 11 guys within 7 yards of the LOS and 8-9 guys in the box on anything but sure passing downs. Pelini would never do that. I think Danker will do if he has to.

• Fire 2

Since 2008 he has had three defenses that were decent. They were ranked 23, 30 and 46 in total yards. I said decent not dominant. The rest were not highly ranked. This indicates to me that it's very possible his problems in Oregon state was talent and the few years he had decent talent, he had decent defenses.

I'm more than willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and see what he can do with the major upgrade in talent he has here compared to Corvallis.

As far as scoring defense, his team was second on the conference in 2012. Again, that indicates to me that it's possible when he has talent, his team can play good defense.

This is very true, there 2012 defense completely shut Wisconsin down in an early game that year. Something Nebraska struggled with a couple of times if I remember correctly.

Scheme? I'm not sure I even know what Banker is going to do. Probly won't until about the end of September, I'm guessing.

But one thing gives reason for hope. Our DTs look solid. With good depth too. A couple of outstanding down linemen can make the whole rest of the defense look better. LBs, DBs--they'll all benefit from Valentine and Collins stopping the run and being disruptive. Regardless of what scheme Banker shows this fall.

Guys, they've only practiced what? Ten times?

They haven't played a game yet.

Please let's not do this. Holy hell.

What were his defensive ranks prior to his arrival here at Nebraska?

I think you can look at history as an example of future performance. It's not perfect, but it'll give you an idea. From what I can tell, Banker was the main person who received the bulk of the criticism from the Oregon State fans and media. Mike Riley brought him here because they've coached together basically for their entire careers together. I'm not sure that's a good thing.

Riley didn't just bring him here cause they've coached together for a long time.

Obviously, for him and Riley to coach together for so long at Oregon St., and then to carry on with him at Nebraska, Riley clearly believes in Banker as a coach.

Maybe Riley believes there were other reasons for some defensive struggles. I know this without even digging into it; they played some of the better offenses out there on a regular basis.

Regardless, Banker deserves a shot as much as anybody else does. Hell, Papuchis even got a shot at DC at Nebraska and who the hell is he to be holding that postion? Maybe we reserve the bitching, negativity, and questioning his scheme til' we have a decent sample size of how his NEBRASKA defense is even going to look.

• Fire 1

I predict that our defense looks better than last season. Simply allowing VV and Collins one gap responsibility will improve our defense as a whole. They will cause havoc attacking gaps. This in turn will free up LBs to use athletic ability to close gaps. I have zero worries with our secondary. Gerry and Alexander as well as Cockrell and Kalu will hold the safety spots down. Our CBs return lots of experience and won't have to play coverage all day because of our DTs messing things up from the get go.

I predict that our defense looks better than last season. Simply allowing VV and Collins one gap responsibility will improve our defense as a whole. They will cause havoc attacking gaps. This in turn will free up LBs to use athletic ability to close gaps. I have zero worries with our secondary. Gerry and Alexander as well as Cockrell and Kalu will hold the safety spots down. Our CBs return lots of experience and won't have to play coverage all day because of our DTs messing things up from the get go.

did Cockrell or Kalu play last season?

Kalu is like a lot of players in the Pelini era. Comes in makes some plays and a mistake or two and you never see him again.

This kid covers a ton of field. He is small but he looks like he isn't afraid of a collision. He reminds me of Hagg/Gomes. I was impressed with the undersized true freshman.

Kalu is like a lot of players in the Pelini era. Comes in makes some plays and a mistake or two and you never see him again.

This kid covers a ton of field. He is small but he looks like he isn't afraid of a collision. He reminds me of Hagg/Gomes. I was impressed with the undersized true freshman.

i looked up their bios, they both played some last year.........good deal.

Kalu played a fair bit, he was the starting Dime.

You watch much Husker football? They both got Blackshirts last year.

i enjoyed watching the O play..........when the D was on the field i would usually surf the net or take a sh#t.

• Fire 1

that was part of Bo s scheme!

i enjoyed watching the O play..........when the D was on the field i would usually surf the net or take a sh#t.

that was part of Bo s scheme as well
  • Fire 2

It sounds like we are going to start seeing less skinny lanky DE's like Randy Gregory who are great at pass rushing, and more bigger stronger guys who can set the edge and contain the run to the inside rather than letting them get to the outside.

Overall it looks like Nebraska football will be less mental and more physical. It will be more about using your physical abilities to make a play, and less about using your head.

Guys, they've only practiced what? Ten times?

They haven't played a game yet.

Please let's not do this. Holy hell.

What were his defensive ranks prior to his arrival here at Nebraska?

I think you can look at history as an example of future performance. It's not perfect, but it'll give you an idea. From what I can tell, Banker was the main person who received the bulk of the criticism from the Oregon State fans and media. Mike Riley brought him here because they've coached together basically for their entire careers together. I'm not sure that's a good thing.

Riley didn't just bring him here cause they've coached together for a long time.

Obviously, for him and Riley to coach together for so long at Oregon St., and then to carry on with him at Nebraska, Riley clearly believes in Banker as a coach.

Maybe Riley believes there were other reasons for some defensive struggles. I know this without even digging into it; they played some of the better offenses out there on a regular basis.

Regardless, Banker deserves a shot as much as anybody else does. Hell, Papuchis even got a shot at DC at Nebraska and who the hell is he to be holding that postion? Maybe we reserve the bitching, negativity, and questioning his scheme til' we have a decent sample size of how his NEBRASKA defense is even going to look.

I'm more than willing to give him a chance to see how his defense performs at Nebraska. He'll be playing in a joke of a division, the offenses in the B1G West aren't very good. So, statistically, he better improve.

However, going on hope each season hasn't worked out well for Nebraska for about a decade and a half. Instead, I'll predict what I think will happen based on past performance. Which for Banker and his defenses border on poor sometimes and mediocre most of the time. My honest prediction is a slight drop off on the defensive side of the ball.