Offense a work in progress

Since Riley was hired, I've heard he is a master developer of quarterbacks. Let's see it.......

Link? I've never seen that said before.

Since Bo Pelini was hired, I've heard he is a "defensive guru". Still haven't seen it.

Here's a link. Unfortunately, there's no hearsay in the article about whether or not Pelini is a defensive guru....but since Pelini is not coaching Nebraska, I think concern about Banker might be more relevant at this time. http://www.omaha.com/huskers/many-hand-it-to-riley-he-can-develop-quarterbacks/article_b2dfc5ea-1502-5b02-97a1-34fa3351642c.html

From the article-

"In the latter stages of the Bo Pelini era, some Husker fans clamored for a quarterbacks coach. Nebraska appears to have found one — in its head coach."

So....that ^ comment there is basically the same as calling him a "master QB developer"? Hmmm...seems to me you may have embellished your side of the argument a bit to fit your objective.

I love how you claim Bo's time here irrelevant to the discussion since he no longer coaches here, yet you've been bashing Riley's time at Oregon St. for months now.

I provided a link specific to the quarterback development reputation of Riley. I'm very hopeful about that. In my opinion, the play of the QB, OL, and LB are where we need the most improvement. Oh, and Riley's background is currently more relevant than Pelni's because Riley is the current coach of the Nebraska Cornhusker football team. Pelini is not.

You're making progress....

You are finally admitting that Riley is the Head Coach of your "supposed" favorite football team.

The first step is always "admitting that you have a problem".

Absolutely nothing to be concerned about here. It is March 22, not August 22. If we are to have any success in the early part of the season, the defense is going to have to be on point. No matter how many repetitions the offense goes through in practice, nothing compares to a game day experience. So I expect the offense to struggle against BYU, Miami, and Wisconsin in the first part of the year. There should be less problems come Michigan State and Iowa. But the key to success in the first half of the upcoming season will be a lights out defense. With a scheme that attacks more, I have a feeling we'll be in fairly good hands.

+1

You coming to the tailgate?

OK,my big worry is this.......we don't have the guys, with the experience to run a pro set O.......we damn sure don't have the QB to do it, really, at this point we just plain don't have an under center, drop back, 60% + passer with a quick release and able to read defenses quickly and decisively..........knowing that, does Riley force the "square peg" in the round hole?..or does he shift back and run some of the spread option stuff, zone read stuff, that the kids know and are fit for?....he said he will adapt and make plays for his play makers........i think he moves forward and installs his pro set stuff and yes, this team will be slow to morf.....and it won't be the kids fault, it is simply going to be growing pains for the O.......so be prepared for more 3 and outs while this team learns and while we wait to recruit guys who fit this system........seriously, this could be a long season.....or two.

More and more I am starting to think our Quarterbacks are limited. And because of that being very possible, they are the ones "that are" handcuffing the entire offense; Are or will (hold back the plans for this offense).

Riley and Langsdorf are here to coach, teach, implement, help/assist the players in any way to be successful. Riley has said the QBs need to improve/work on drop back passes, see the coverage, read it quicker, make good decisions, and get the ball out faster.

Question: Is this too demanding for these quarterbacks to pick up by fall? Should the QB be the reason it makes the offense scrap it's plans for the team to fit what they can/will do? I've always thought reading coverage, making good choices and delivering a catchable ball is a requirement to be a quarterback.

Personally I think if you have a nice strong arm and quick feet, that's more than half the battle. Accuracy & touch & timing can be practiced & developed. So can pocket presence. And reading coverage if you want to learn.

• Fire 1

Since Riley was hired, I've heard he is a master developer of quarterbacks. Let's see it.......

Since Bo Pelini was hired, I've heard he is a "defensive guru". Still haven't seen it.

Here's a link. Unfortunately, there's no hearsay in the article about whether or not Pelini is a defensive guru....but since Pelini is not coaching Nebraska, I think concern about Banker might be more relevant at this time. http://www.omaha.com/huskers/many-hand-it-to-riley-he-can-develop-quarterbacks/article_b2dfc5ea-1502-5b02-97a1-34fa3351642c.html

From the article-

"In the latter stages of the Bo Pelini era, some Husker fans clamored for a quarterbacks coach. Nebraska appears to have found one — in its head coach."

So....that ^ comment there is basically the same as calling him a "master QB developer"? Hmmm...seems to me you may have embellished your side of the argument a bit to fit your objective.

I love how you claim Bo's time here irrelevant to the discussion since he no longer coaches here, yet you've been bashing Riley's time at Oregon St. for months now.

I provided a link specific to the quarterback development reputation of Riley. I'm very hopeful about that. In my opinion, the play of the QB, OL, and LB are where we need the most improvement. Oh, and Riley's background is currently more relevant than Pelni's because Riley is the current coach of the Nebraska Cornhusker football team. Pelini is not.

You are finally admitting that Riley is the Head Coach of your "supposed" favorite football team.

So I would assume since this is more of a shot toward me and not a discussion of Riley's quarterback development reputation that you have now "heard" he has a reputation for quarterback development.

OK,my big worry is this.......we don't have the guys, with the experience to run a pro set O.......we damn sure don't have the QB to do it, really, at this point we just plain don't have an under center, drop back, 60% + passer with a quick release and able to read defenses quickly and decisively..........knowing that, does Riley force the "square peg" in the round hole?..or does he shift back and run some of the spread option stuff, zone read stuff, that the kids know and are fit for?....he said he will adapt and make plays for his play makers........i think he moves forward and installs his pro set stuff and yes, this team will be slow to morf.....and it won't be the kids fault, it is simply going to be growing pains for the O.......so be prepared for more 3 and outs while this team learns and while we wait to recruit guys who fit this system........seriously, this could be a long season.....or two.

More and more I am starting to think our Quarterbacks are limited. And because of that being very possible, they are the ones "that are" handcuffing the entire offense; Are or will (hold back the plans for this offense).

Riley and Langsdorf are here to coach, teach, implement, help/assist the players in any way to be successful. Riley has said the QBs need to improve/work on drop back passes, see the coverage, read it quicker, make good decisions, and get the ball out faster.

Question: Is this too demanding for these quarterbacks to pick up by fall? Should the QB be the reason it makes the offense scrap it's plans for the team to fit what they can/will do? I've always thought reading coverage, making good choices and delivering a catchable ball is a requirement to be a quarterback.

Personally I think if you have a nice strong arm and quick feet, that's more than half the battle. Accuracy & touch & timing can be practiced & developed. So can pocket presence. And reading coverage if you want to learn.

I think you're right.

You kind of get the impression by listening to some of the coaches that they were hoping these QB's were a little further along. Would we be shocked or surprised at all if these coaches are literally starting from scratch with these guys? They may be teaching them some of the most basic things of the position at this point.

I think I always evaluated Tommy's natural ability as excellent. I liked his presence and comfort in the pocket. The mental aspect was something I expected him to learn or pick up as the season went on.

It never really clicked.

You ask a great question, will they be ale to get it out of these QB's by fall? We won't know till' then. Hopefully the spring game maybe gives us an idea of how much they've truly learned. Touch, timing, and most importantly reading the defense are all weaknesses at this point.

It sounds to me like the coaches are already considering paring down a bit. Though, I've also heard that might have been part of the plan all along. Give them all aspects of the offense, see what they can and can't do, then build off that. As much as they might be struggling right now, it's early, by the time the season comes around these coaches may have the answers that fit the QB's - instead of making the QB try to fit the system.

We shall see.

• Fire 1

From the article-

So I would assume since this is more of a shot toward me and not a discussion of Riley's quarterback development reputation that you have now "heard" he has a reputation for quarterback development.

This isn't a shot at you. What have I said that isn't true?

Riley has a reputation of developing quarterbacks. As does Langsdorf. I've never heard either of them be called a "master developer". I found your choice of words there interesting since you tend to exaggerate.

Was I exaggerating when I said many called Bo Pelini a "defensive guru"? Hell no I wasn't. Hell, just ask him, even he thinks so. Wisconsin says otherwise.

From the article-

Riley has a reputation of developing quarterbacks. As does Langsdorf. I've never heard either of them be called a "master developer". I found your choice of words there interesting since you tend to exaggerate.

Was I exaggerating when I said many called Bo Pelini a "defensive guru"? Hell no I wasn't. Hell, just ask him, even he thinks so. Wisconsin says otherwise.

.......and you're back to Pelini. The use of the word "master" was mine. Quarterback development is one of the key things, if not THE key thing Riley is "known" for. Thus the usage.

From the article-

.......and you're back to Pelini.

Sorry, I know it still hurts......

Teach -

Not really. Maybe early struggles and with the game opener. But I think the offense has speed and good enough athletic ability to score points. By conference we should be experienced and ready to go. The key is if we do improve from week to week, instead of hitting an early season peak and declining or becoming inconsistent.

From the article-

"In the latter stages of the Bo Pelini era, some Husker fans clamored for a quarterbacks coach. Nebraska appears to have found one in its head coach."

.......and you're back to Pelini. The use of the word "master" was mine. Quarterback development is one of the key things, if not THE key thing Riley is "known" for. Thus the usage.
Really? I thought it was talent evaluation, followed by game planning.
  • Fire 1

From the article-

"In the latter stages of the Bo Pelini era, some Husker fans clamored for a quarterbacks coach. Nebraska appears to have found one in its head coach."

Really? I thought it was talent evaluation, followed by game planning.

Then I'll go with one of the key things. I'm good with that. Whatever the order, it needs to happen under Riley's leadership.

Honestly guys.....we can split hairs all day about offense, defense, what this team will look and feel like. Blah blah blah. We just have to sit back and watch. We all know the talent is here. Just what the staff does with it remains to be seen. We are all thirsty for some improvement. I get it. Be patient young grasshoppers!

I like Riley. He seems more approachable. Like he gets it. We've been needing that alot. I am very optimistic about the season. Why? I honestly feel our teams played tight and over analyzed. Bo blowing up and cursing would make anyone play tight. I think we play loose now and get it done.

Lets just be patient.

GBR!

• Fire 1

Nice post MWJ

I get the feel that most Husker fans are becoming more patient, cautious and slightly optimistic with the new staff. And we do feel more updated and embraced by them. At the same time it is good to talk about it, since it is almost impossible to just unplug everything until BYU :) Feels great to be an involved fan on the board again.