McKeon: Be prepared for a diminished run game

So, will we miss it? Probably. But if it just ran up the numbers against overmatched opponents and frequently faded away in prime time, was it even really there last year?

Exactly. Our big bad running game shrunk last year when we stepped up in competition. That's great that we hung big numbers on FAU but our numbers vs the 4 best teams we played last year (all losses) were

Michigan State: 37-47 1.3 ypc

Wisconsin: 46-118 2.6 ypc

Minnesota: 38-174 4.6 ypc

USC: 43-144 3.3 ypc

How good is a team's running game if they can't do it against quality opposition?

It's almost like they could just lean on people when playing weaker competition, but once they started playing people that were just as big as they were and had to rely on technique, they fell on their face (or rear end).

So, will we miss it? Probably. But if it just ran up the numbers against overmatched opponents and frequently faded away in prime time, was it even really there last year?

Exactly. Our big bad running game shrunk last year when we stepped up in competition. That's great that we hung big numbers on FAU but our numbers vs the 4 best teams we played last year (all losses) were

How good is a team's running game if they can't do it against quality opposition?

It's almost like they could just lean on people when playing weaker competition, but once they started playing people that were just as big as they were and had to rely on technique, they fell on their face (or rear end).

That's why a passing game is the running game's best friend.

That's why a passing game good offensive line is the running game's best friend.

Well said, I think the goal was for the running game to provide space for the passing game but unfortunately the running game was two weak to set up the passing game with strong well coached opponents.

That's why a passing game good offensive line is the running game's best friend.

I think it's as simple as that. As Offensive Line play improves, so will the run game. If Langsdorf & Riley simply change our blocking scheme to control the line of scrimmage rather than scheme to penetrate to the second level, that'll be an improvement. Beck's concept of letting at least one guy through on every play, counting on the ball-carrier to make him miss, was garbage. Good defenses ate that up.

The run game could remain as productive as it was with Ameer, Rex & Roy if we just block better.

• Fire 1

I never have understood why some fans get all caught up on how a coach speaks in a press conference. I actually knew people who thought Solich was fired....not because of anything on the field....but, when pressed, they would claim we need a HC that can speak more clearly in a press conference. REALLY???

Of all the things to complain about with a coach, it's because he doesn't speak up to your standards with a microphone stuck in his face and random questions asked?

Speaking usually reflects what's going on in someone's(the coach's) head and, therefore, usually what gets translated onto the field. That's my point. Bo was a pretty good example of that, not a great communicator, hence, relatively sloppy team at times, IMO.

jake-cotton-fall.gif

nebraska-punt-against-iowa-b.gif?w=1000

You actually are basing these mistakes by the team on Bo not being able to talk well in a press conference?

Really????

Uh, no, I'm basing Bo's mistake prone NE teams on his relative inability to communicate well to the team. It is teaching, after all. I'm making this assumption the only way a fan can, by the way he communicated at press conferences. So, I'm saying, again, that Riley doesn't impress me as a great communicator, hence, I'm uneasy about him, his ability to convey concepts to his team. Yeah, I'm saying that.

Bo's own lack of self discipline, anger issues, inability to hire experts as assistant coaches, unwillingness to make changes to his defensive scheme when the world could see it wasn't working and his inability to get along with his superiors (anger issues) had WAY more to do with his team's lack of success than him not being able to communicate in a press conference.

To me his in game self discipline is why many games were lost. He would lose composure and then his players would lose composure. This is what I hope to see from Mike Riley's team. some composer in the face of adversity.

True about Bo, and I don't think there will be an issue re: composure and Riley. They say he never arugues with refs, for one thing. We might hope he gets more rile'd up during games.

Riley: "...And that's really the ultimate goal....how many guys can we get from right out......from right out here, that can go in...go in the games and help us win. And the more we find, obviously, the better, the better team we'll be...."

Pure genius, right there.

More: "I'm not gonna single anybody out, but I will say that Nabity, he's made a ton a football plays out here...."

As opposed to what other kind fo plays...?

Well, not to jump on the guy too much already, but Riley, the times I've heard him speak, seems a bit mumbly jumbly.Sorta scatter brained. Anybody else get that? I mean, Urban Meyer, for e.g., speaks incredibly clear and focused.

The more clearly a person speaks, the more hated they become. See Jeff Gordon.

Well, Urbs in particular, when he speaks, you can tell he's playing chess while about everybody else is playing checkers. He knows exactly what he wants and what he's doing. Saban is a close second in that regard. Urbs, in a class all his own, IMO. Riley makes me nervous when he speaks :confucius .

WTF? How can you even be serious?

Ya know, I should never forget. You can show a group of 1000 people a grape, and somehow one guy will see a banana.

It's amazing to me but it always happens.

Apparently Urban Meyers ability to slither through conversations like a snake with a bit of arrogance doesn't bother you, but even more unbelievable is that an honest, down to earth man, who talks to you like he may as well be in your living room is the guy that makes you nervous.

Wow.

Haha, I guess you don't like Urbs and I think you are misconstruing what I'm saying. The guy knows exactly what he wants, what he has, where he's going and how to get there and communicates all that with exquisite clarity, and his record absolutely bears that out. Riley, yeah, unassuming, 'aw shucks' and all that, but when he actually speaks on specifics he leaves me scratching my head most of the time as to what he's talking about. A "football play". What the F is that supposed to mean? And so much more. Maybe he's better in the 'classroom', who knows. I like the guy, am not down on him, wish him to succeed. In fact, I rather hang out with Riley over Urbs by a long shot, like a 'good buddy'. Just can't decifer half of what he says. I don't think he's near the coach Urbs is, that's all I'm saying.

I never have understood why some fans get all caught up on how a coach speaks in a press conference. I actually knew people who thought Solich was fired....not because of anything on the field....but, when pressed, they would claim we need a HC that can speak more clearly in a press conference. REALLY???

Of all the things to complain about with a coach, it's because he doesn't speak up to your standards with a microphone stuck in his face and random questions asked?

Speaking usually reflects what's going on in someone's(the coach's) head and, therefore, usually what gets translated onto the field. That's my point. Bo was a pretty good example of that, not a great communicator, hence, relatively sloppy team at times, IMO.

jake-cotton-fall.gif

You actually are basing these mistakes by the team on Bo not being able to talk well in a press conference?

Really????

Uh, no, I'm basing Bo's mistake prone NE teams on his relative inability to communicate well to the team. It is teaching, after all. I'm making this assumption the only way a fan can, by the way he communicated at press conferences. So, I'm saying, again, that Riley doesn't impress me as a great communicator, hence, I'm uneasy about him, his ability to convey concepts to his team. Yeah, I'm saying that.

Bo's own lack of self discipline, anger issues, inability to hire experts as assistant coaches, unwillingness to make changes to his defensive scheme when the world could see it wasn't working and his inability to get along with his superiors (anger issues) had WAY more to do with his team's lack of success than him not being able to communicate in a press conference.

This is why I think Riley wins 11 this year!

Installing Riley's new offense, especially with TA at the helm, I highly doubt we get 11 Ws. 9-3 tops. The U = L, Sparty = L, and we'll drop at least one out the jNU, MN, WI mix. And BTW, why do they put our open date at the end of the year just before IA?! That's just wrong!

jake-cotton-fall.gif

Really????

This is why I think Riley wins 11 this year!

Installing a new offense with TA at the helm, I highly doubt we get 11 Ws. 9-3 tops. The U = L, Sparty = L, and we'll drop at least one out the jNU, MN, WI mix. BYU is iffy, Taysom Hill is back, probably gives them the edge. And BTW, why do they put our open date at the end of the year just before IA?! That's just wrong! And one hopes that we don't drop that game, that would also be wrong!

jake-cotton-fall.gifnebraska-punt-against-iowa-b.gif?w=1000

Really????

I think it had more to do with crootin' than any of that other stuff. Granted, some of that baggage probably didn't help his crootin' efforts.
I think you're wrong.

I think it had way more to do with a lot of that other stuff. There's plenty of talent on this team. Matter of fact, it's amazing some of these highly talented guys we have on this team wanted to play in either offensive or defensive scheme. The unwillingness (not inability, he was plenty able) to hire more experienced coaches effected every aspect of this team and recruiting. Of course, when you think you know it all and are a control freak, why would you hire people who possibly outrank you in wisdom and knowledge of the game. They may challenge you to be better....and guys like Bo don't like to be challenged.

I don't think I am. I hope I am, but I don't think I am.

Look at the recruiting classes the last 4 years. We're talented enough to be a fringe top 25 team. Not to say we're completely without talent, but if we want to compete with the Ohio States of the world, we got to recruit better.

Agree. We have talent, but it is top heavy w 3* talent, whereas the big dogs are top heavy with 4*s and some 5*s here and there. We end up being ranked on about the average level of our crootin': 20th-30th. Bama, FSU, tOSU croot the highest, and, oddly enough, end up ranked the highest: funny how that works. Nothing's going to much change until we get a surplus of 4* talent on the team, though Riley, with 'better experience and resources(!)' might, in time, get us 1 more W/year on average. Still, 2nd tier, though.

P.S, we'll be seeing a big surge from USC from here on out, they are getting crazy talent coming in there, like the 'good old days' of Petey Carroll. They are back.

Really????

I think it had more to do with crootin' than any of that other stuff. Granted, some of that baggage probably didn't help his crootin' efforts.
I think you're wrong.

I think it had way more to do with a lot of that other stuff. There's plenty of talent on this team. Matter of fact, it's amazing some of these highly talented guys we have on this team wanted to play in either offensive or defensive scheme. The unwillingness (not inability, he was plenty able) to hire more experienced coaches effected every aspect of this team and recruiting. Of course, when you think you know it all and are a control freak, why would you hire people who possibly outrank you in wisdom and knowledge of the game. They may challenge you to be better....and guys like Bo don't like to be challenged.

Look at the recruiting classes the last 4 years. We're talented enough to be a fringe top 25 team. Not to say we're completely without talent, but if we want to compete with the Ohio States of the world, we got to recruit better.

Agree. We have talent, but it is top heavy w 3* talent, whereas the big dogs are top heavy with 4*s and some 5*s here and there. We end up being ranked on about the average level of our crootin': 20th-30th. Bama, FSU, tOSU croot the highest, and, oddly enough, end up ranked the highest: funny how that works. Nothing's going to much change until we get a surplus of 4* talent on the team, though Riley, with 'better experience and resources(!)' might, in time, get us 1 more W/year on average. Still, 2nd tier, though.

P.S, we'll be seeing a big surge from USC from here on out, they are getting crazy talent coming in there, like the 'good old days' of Petey Carroll. They are back.

Sark will make sure they drop a few each season. He is the Pacs Bo Pelini IMO

Really????

I think you're wrong.

Sark is a young HC, has a young crew, I guess. But I think he has his sh#t together pretty well. SC will be crankin' in the top 5 or 10 in no time. Too much talent. Talent/speed is what won their game against us.

Really????

I think you're wrong.

Sark is a young HC, has a young crew, I guess. But I think he has his sh#t together pretty well. SC will be crankin' in the top 5 or 10 in no time. Too much talent. Talent/speed is what won their game against us.

They duked it out with a completely dysfunctional NU football team led by Barney Cotton....he didn't out coach Barney Cotton. Again I repeat, he didn't out coach BARNEY COTTON

• Fire 1

Really????

I think you're wrong.

They duked it out with a completely dysfunctional NU football team led by Barney Cotton....he didn't out coach Barney Cotton. Again I repeat, he didn't out coach BARNEY COTTON

I think SC was up by nearly 2 tds at one point, or a few times, right? SC had a ton of youth last year. Barney and crew deserve credit, though, they had a well coached and insired gameplan, but still, it was close to being a small blowout here and there.

I think Sark will be ok.