Post spring game QB depth chart

Bush needs to improve accuracy and timing. Both of those come with practice and improved footwork. I think his potential is the highest of anyone on the team except for Stanton. He also needs to work on his ability to perform under pressure, both from the D and from the crowd. I think that's why bush saw a ton of snaps on the white team. Really, I could see him as an all conference in two years, an all American in three, and 2nd or 3rd round pick by graduation.

Stanton has the highest possible potential of all the QBs on the roster due to his size, athleticism, and how well he throws the ball. That is to say, it spirals as nice as Darlington, has a little more zip, and he can chuck it way down field. He needs to work on timing, ball placement, and pressure. He has the potential to be a top draft pick, but for some reason has almost no confidence, consistancy, or composure in the face of pressure.

Broekmeier reminds me a ton of Drew Brees. Accurate, consistent, excellent reads, shorter than the prototypical pro QB... to be honest, I'd like to see him start this year if he can reliably do what he did today against top defenses. Wouldn't go higher than 5th round, but he'd be a bargain, and given some development and a shot, he could be a franchise quarterback... if he can toss it 45 to 50 yards through the air.

Darlington performs like a rookie pro. Period. Needs some polishing and experience, but he looks fantastic. The two things that hold him back are size (isn't he only like 5'7"?) and that he hasn't shown great arm strength.

Armstrong still needs work. Accuracy is still an issue. When he does get the ball to a reciever, it's usually not in the best place to let a reciever catch it in stride (that is to say, without having to lose any speed). Timing is much better than last year, so his footwork has improved, but not as much as it needs to if he wants to be a pro. His composure is top notch, as is his confidence. He's the closest to being pro ready, but needs work. Two more years of starting and he could be an early round pick. Would be similar to Russell Wilso

200.gif

To be honest, we don't have the explosiveness we've enjoyed with Martinez, Burkhead, and Abdullah. Tommy has shown flashes of explosiveness with his long passing ability. But until a RB steps up and gives us explosiveness (or at least play at a high level consistently) in the run game, we are going to need the dink and dunk passing game. The 5 yard passes. The 10 yarders. The ability to move the chains consistantly, every drive. I feel we have the recievers that can get open and turn those short passes into big plays. We don't need to Beck ourselves by shooting for a touchdown every play and end up with 3 and outs. I feel what we need right now is accuracy and consistency in a QB, and Darlington is that QB right now. Tommy has the potential to have that accuracy (and he's shown flashes of it, just not the consistency) but he's not there yet. I hope he gets it by the time fall practice is done, because if it clicks for him, we will have consistency AND the potential for explosiveness. Bush also has that potential, but suffers from the same hang ups as Tommy.

But I'd rather play it safe and dink and dunk my way down the field to a steady score. I'd rather have those long, sustained drives to keep the ball out of the opponents hands. Darlington is our man if that's shat we want to do. Hell, right now, I'd choose Broekmeier over Bush or Armstrong if he proved more consistent.

Consistency will win games. That's how Ohio State won. It's how Alabama won. It's how Oregon performs at such a high level (though they have good consistency with a high level of explosiveness, an excellent combination). I'd rather have a consistantly good offense than and occasionally amazing but mostly mediocre offense. I'd like a consistantly good defense too.

My point is, you don't have to win the game every play. all you have to do is make 4 yards. Thats it. Make 4 yards every play and you'll score every drive (barring penalties or turnovers).

To be honest, we don't have the explosiveness we've enjoyed with Martinez, Burkhead, and Abdullah. Tommy has shown flashes of explosiveness with his long passing ability. But until a RB steps up and gives us explosiveness (or at least play at a high level consistently) in the run game, we are going to need the dink and dunk passing game. The 5 yard passes. The 10 yarders. The ability to move the chains consistantly, every drive. I feel we have the recievers that can get open and turn those short passes into big plays. We don't need to Beck ourselves by shooting for a touchdown every play and end up with 3 and outs. I feel what we need right now is accuracy and consistency in a QB, and Darlington is that QB right now. Tommy has the potential to have that accuracy (and he's shown flashes of it, just not the consistency) but he's not there yet. I hope he gets it by the time fall practice is done, because if it clicks for him, we will have consistency AND the potential for explosiveness. Bush also has that potential, but suffers from the same hang ups as Tommy.

But I'd rather play it safe and dink and dunk my way down the field to a steady score. I'd rather have those long, sustained drives to keep the ball out of the opponents hands. Darlington is our man if that's shat we want to do. Hell, right now, I'd choose Broekmeier over Bush or Armstrong if he proved more consistent.

Consistency will win games. That's how Ohio State won. It's how Alabama won. It's how Oregon performs at such a high level (though they have good consistency with a high level of explosiveness, an excellent combination). I'd rather have a consistantly good offense than and occasionally amazing but mostly mediocre offense. I'd like a consistantly good defense too.

My point is, you don't have to win the game every play. all you have to do is make 4 yards. Thats it. Make 4 yards every play and you'll score every drive (barring penalties or turnovers).

DPE is a constant threat to take it to the house at anytime

Looking at the game as a completely blank slate I think Darlington showed the best today. He didn't look the biggest or strongest on the day, but he read the game exceptionally and threw well placed balls to the open man. With more experience I think he's slots in at #2 with a real chance to take #1 if given good non-con garbage time and Armstrong makes some big mistakes later in the season. (wait, what....we can actually hold our QB's accountable now? that's a weird feeling...)

TA is still TA. He's got the respect of the team and that counts for a lot. He's serviceable in the passing game, but still making late throws and tends to zero in on his receiver before the play starts. He'll get the nod at the beginning of the year, but Bush and Darlington will be licking their chops at the first sign of a breakdown.

I think Bush will sit comfortably at the #2-3 spot. There's a lot to like, but he's raw. Needs to speed up his delivery and make faster decisions. I could see him being really comparable to Cam Newton if he bulks a little and speeds up his mental game a bit.

Stanton looks like a monster out on the field. He big, stout, and throws a Laser. His accuracy and touch still needs work, and unfortunately that's one of the traits most difficult to coach (see Martinez). If he can't get it under control I'd like to see how he does at LB or safety, his size and speed would work well there.

Based solely on today my QB depth chart is:

1. TA (only for the experience & leadership)

2. Darlington (it's nice to see a QB work like a real QB)

3. Bush

4. Fyfe

5. Brockemeier

6. Stanton

Yeah, I feel like Darlington gives us the best chance to win. I think it wouldn't even be a question if it weren't for some pretty serious health concerns there. Tommy's performance is not too inspiring but he has only been through a spring with these coaches. There's still fall.

What about Broekemeier though? Just some stat padding against third stringers, or does he actually demonstrate good passing fundamentals, etc.

If you base it solely on today I have to put Darlington #1. Like was said earlier. He looked most like a qb. Excellent poise. Went through multiple reads every time with ease. Was comfortable taking the extra count to manipulate coverages with his eyes. He just seemed like the best "quarterback". Now, we dont no much if anything about the practices leading up to today. But based on today I'd roll with Darlington. And frankly, it's really not that close. His arm strength or lack there of was supposed to be a weakness but I guess I missed that part today as well.

• Fire 2

Yeah, I feel like Darlington gives us the best chance to win. I think it wouldn't even be a question if it weren't for some pretty serious health concerns there. Tommy's performance is not too inspiring but he has only been through a spring with these coaches. There's still fall.

What about Broekemeier though? Just some stat padding against third stringers, or does he actually demonstrate good passing fundamentals, etc.

Broekmeier showed good mechanics, good accuracy, and good ball placement (throwing to open recievers, hitting them in stride, positioning his passes to let his players make plays...), but it was against third string players... but he was playing with third string players for the most part. I think there are questions about Broekmeier, and I'd like to see him take a serious series against BYU to see how he does. Like, at the tail end of the first quarter or the beginning of the second quarter. One good series. Just to see how he does with the 1's against the opponent's 1's. Personally, I think he's got potential. He's shown potential, and a good amound of polished skill. I don't know if he'd lead us to a national championship, but he'd make an excellent backup. I'd let him start if he could prove he has that consistency against a solid defense.

• Fire 1

If you base it solely on today I have to put Darlington #1. Like was said earlier. He looked most like a qb. Excellent poise. Went through multiple reads every time with ease. Was comfortable taking the extra count to manipulate coverages with his eyes. He just seemed like the best "quarterback". Now, we dont no much if anything about the practices leading up to today. But based on today I'd roll with Darlington. And frankly, it's really not that close. His arm strength or lack there of was supposed to be a weakness but I guess I missed that part today as well.

This is my exact sentiment also, great summation.

That's the thing I don't get when people bring up arm strength. How far do QBs usually toss the ball? I mean on a long route you are talking what 40ish yards in the air give or take? I'm positive all of the qbs on our roster can throw a ball that far. I started watching the scrimmage expecting a Bush vs TA battle. Instead I watched Darlington run away with it while everyone else fought over silver

That's the thing I don't get when people bring up arm strength. How far do QBs usually toss the ball? I mean on a long route you are talking what 40ish yards in the air give or take? I'm positive all of the qbs on our roster can throw a ball that far. I started watching the scrimmage expecting a Bush vs TA battle. Instead I watched Darlington run away with it while everyone else fought over silver
It is easy to forget but before Darlington got hurt, NU got his commitment over Urban Meyer and OSU, the young man can play. He was a highly rated QB and I was highly impressed today, just worried about him taking a hit.
  • Fire 1

1. Tommy Armstrong

2. Zack Darlington

3. Tyson Broekemeier

4. Johnny Stanton

5. Ryker Fyfe

6. AJ Bush

That's after what I just saw today. Talent wise, AJ Bush is a clear #2, but man he just didn't mentally look like he was ready for #2. I believe he will get there though. Zack Darlington looks like a number #2, only because the guys who have more talent than him aren't as polished as he is. Ryker just looks like he has taken a step back. TA is TA, no change really, and that is concerning. I was expecting to see improvement from TA, I didn't see enough of it.

It is easy to forget but before Darlington got hurt, NU got his commitment over Urban Meyer and OSU, the young man can play. He was a highly rated QB and I was highly impressed today, just worried about him taking a hit.

He can certainly play. and anyone that Urban wants but we get is a victory in my books. :P

But Darlington's HS highlights show him making long passes, but it seems to be a max of 40-45 through the air. Which is good! Don't get me wrong! I couldn't throw a football that far. I doubt I'd make 30! But when Darlington does make those passes, they're usually underthrowns just enough that the reciever has to adjust and slow down to catch them, which a lot of times means the DBs catch up to and tackle the reciever. Granted, he may have improved since high school, but he may not have. We don't know. That why we question his arm strength and don't just say he has a weak arm.

1. Tommy Armstrong

2. Zack Darlington

3. Tyson Broekemeier

4. Johnny Stanton

5. Ryker Fyfe

6. AJ Bush

That's after what I just saw today. Talent wise, AJ Bush is a clear #2, but man he just didn't mentally look like he was ready for #2. I believe he will get there though. Zack Darlington looks like a number #2, only because the guys who have more talent than him aren't as polished as he is. Ryker just looks like he has taken a step back. TA is TA, no change really, and that is concerning. I was expecting to see improvement from TA, I didn't see enough of it.

I agree that he is a more athletic football player, but I wouldn't say his talent as a QB is clearly better than Darlington. Sure he has a stronger arm, but Darlington is far more accurate, has better mechanics, and seems to have a better grasp of how to play QB efficiently at a high level. Plus Darlington showed that he can scramble when needed. And also he was a threat to run while in HS as well. The guy is no slouch.

Sometimes I think we put too much stock into a guys numbers, and overlook the intangibles and little things. AJ may have more potential to be a superior athlete, but idk if I would say his talent is way better than Darlington's.