Post spring game QB depth chart

With the way Darlington looked today, in my opinion there is no way we don't have a hell of a QB battle heading into fall.

The guy looked like the best QB today. I know it's spring, and I know there are variables but he sure looked natural out there. Very impressive.

Like I said a few days ago, if I'm the coach I take the guy who makes the best decisions and doesn't turn the ball over. Turnovers have cost this team a lot of games. Sound defense and an offense that executes even semi-efficiently but doesn't shoot itself in the foot, probably wins this division every year.

If you think Darlington can only the throw the ball 40 yards you're crazy. Also, when talking about arm strength coaches/evaluators aren't really talking about the deep ball. Deep throws are a skill for sure, but any quarterback of any college caliber can throw at least 55-60 yards, though most deep shots are generally shorter anyway so what does it matter. "Arm Strength" is more how much zip a guy can put on intermediate throws, especially in tight windows in the middle of the field or on deep outs. I've always been of the opinion that there is a level a guy needs to be at, and anymore than that is whatever, sometimes even a hindrance due to overconfidence. I think Darlington has enough arm strength, plus it looks like he has much more in other areas that are actually way more important to good qb play. Footwork, anticipation, ability to change speeds, and a clear knowledge of offensive and defensive concepts that translates from the classroom to the field. I do like Armstrong and Stanton, but they really struggle in those first three areas. Stanton moreso. I've seen enough of them going back to high school to feel comfortable saying that. Bush I know very little other than what I've heard, although he looked dreadful today imo. He appeared to be way over his head from the shoulders up.

• Fire 2

Ill give up the 2 40 yard passes and even the threat of them for that matter all day for someone who can move safeties and make progressions and put the ball in windows from 10-15 yards.

If we don't have the threat of the long ball, how much are the safeties going to move?

If the long balls are erratic ( :P), then is that threat even there anyway?

It could be a matter of choosing what's important. Sure, it's nice to have that, but it's much, much more important to have able decision-making and sound fundamentals. It seems like only Darlington displayed these things consistently today although probably all the QBs have a long way to go.

Gives me the feeling that Riley's guy at QB could be somebody not on the roster yet. This year could be more about making the most of what we do have.

• Fire 1

Ill give up the 2 40 yard passes and even the threat of them for that matter all day for someone who can move safeties and make progressions and put the ball in windows from 10-15 yards.

If we don't have the threat of the long ball, how much are the safeties going to move?

If the long balls are erratic ( :P), then is that threat even there anyway?

It could be a matter of choosing what's important. Sure, it's nice to have that, but it's much, much more important to have able decision-making and sound fundamentals. It seems like only Darlington displayed these things consistently today although probably all the QBs have a long way to go.

Gives me the feeling that Riley's guy at QB could be somebody not on the roster yet. This year could be more about making the most of what we do have.

Agreed.

peyton manning and tom brady do just fine without the long ball. Hell peytons season ended when he started throwin the long ball. I know. Darlington isnt either of those two. But if you got a qb whos got it between the ears and has the ability theres no coverage that can consistently stop him. Them two safeties wont matter. Theres still gonna be windows.

So...am I to assume nobody is concerned about head injuries with Darlington anymore?

I know he doesn't stutter and has been cleared by some of the best doctors around regarding head trauma
Hope they are right. I would love for the kid to have a great career here but, it's not worth potentially having major problems the rest of his life.

Best of luck to him.

Agree. My concern is with his safety.

So...am I to assume nobody is concerned about head injuries with Darlington anymore?

I know he doesn't stutter and has been cleared by some of the best doctors around regarding head trauma
Hope they are right. I would love for the kid to have a great career here but, it's not worth potentially having major problems the rest of his life.

Best of luck to him.

Absolutely. I mean, it's obvious he wants to play. But major head injuries are serious serious business. I'd seek opinions from doctors that aren't in any way affiliated with the school just in case, but if every doctor says he's no more at risk than any other player? I'd start him. I'm confident that it's only the history of head injuries that's holding him back.

Best of luck to him.

Absolutely. I mean, it's obvious he wants to play. But major head injuries are serious serious business. I'd seek opinions from doctors that aren't in any way affiliated with the school just in case, but if every doctor says he's no more at risk than any other player? I'd start him. I'm confident that it's only the history of head injuries that's holding him back.
Dr. Semyon Slobounov, a director of virtual reality/traumatic brain injury research laboratory at Penn State, is overseeing Darlington's recovery, as is central Florida-based Dr. James M. Ray

Sorry for the split posts, but how confident are they in Zach's health???

He has been 100% cleared by multiple head trauma doctors

Then, as of right now, he should be the #1 guy going into fall practice. And I maintain my position that Broekmeier should be the #2 going into fall as well. Those two are the most accurate, the most polished QBs. Don't get me wrong, I think all the guys we have at QB have talent and potential, and I'd love to see Armstrong or Bush succeed, but until they clean up their inconsistencies, they shouldn't be starting.