“Every snap, every moment that I get out there is a huge deal for me.”

No, it just puts him in a position to start, when he'd be about 3rd string if we still had talent at the position.

There's no way anyone could know that. Gangwish could have beaten out those guys, or he could have been at the bottom of the depth chart. No way to know.
What? They were far better as underclassmen than Gangwish was as an upperclassman last year. It's a pretty safe bet the far better players would have remained ahead on the depth chart.

Is this bizzaro world?

Safe bet? Yes. Guaranteed Gangwish would be third string? Absolutely not.

It's like some of you don't think he can get better with more coaching and experience. Just because other players were ahead of him when they were underclassmen, doesn't mean that will remain true when they're seniors.

If instead we consider the players as it applies to the team, Gangwish > Moss (at least IMO). No matter how talented at football Moss is or was, Gangwish is still the better player for NU since he'll contribute more than a single season.

Nothing is guaranteed, but I don't believe you really think Gangwish would be ahead of Moss and Gregory if they were still here.

I hope he's significantly better this year, but I'm not counting on it. Seems kind of unfair to him. I think he is what he is.

I don't believe he's as talented as Moss or Gregory, but I'm also don't believe Moss was that great of a player (I mean the whole package - on and off the field). If he were, he'd be starting this year.

The DE situation, the Dude, is that we need depth.

We needed depth last year too.

That didn't suddenly mean Randy Gregory and Greg McMullen were red flags or physically limited. It just meant there wasn't a lot of experience or talent behind them.

If we're starting a guy like Gangwish, I think it indicates we lack some talent at that position too, not just depth.

Gregory would have started on any team in the country, and McMullen/Collins/Valentine would start on a majority of teams. That's why nobody is saying that stuff about them.

Gangwish isn't that type of player. Not everyone is, and that's okay.

What has McMullen done to be considered in that category? Maybe a better way to put it is that I have the same confidence in Gangwish having a good year as McMullen having a good year.

I don't understand what you mean when you say "what's preventing him fro achieving those things"? He was a walk on player who has developed his mind, body and skills to become a possible starting defensive end from the first kick of the season. I don't doubt that he will be successful, he just gotten to the point in his career where he is getting an opportunity to show it.

What I mean is, if physical limitations isn't the reason you're ruling him out as an All-Conference DE, what is the reason?

If he's as physically able as anyone else, doesn't he have as good a chance as anyone?

Me personally, I think he's talented enough to roughly match Cameron Meredith's Senior season. I'd hardly call that a failure.

I'll predict Gangwish has a better senior season than Meredith did.

I don't think we're that far apart in our opinions

• Fire 1

Cam Meredith's senior season didn't really pan out because part way through the season he was moved to DT. We had zero depth behind Baker and when he went down the former staff decided to put Cam there. Didn't really work out too well.

I remember people using the fact that Spencer Long was starting on our O line as evidence everyone else sucks. In fact, this "walk-on" was actually just that good and went 3rd round in the draft and has a chance to have a decent career making money at this game.

For every Spencer Long, there's a hand full of Mike Caputos, who work really hard, but just don't have the tools to be anything more than serviceable. There's nothing wrong with that.

We've seen Gangwish play. We have a pretty good understanding of what we have in him. Comparing him to the Tomiches and Longs of the world isn't really fair to him.

Good Lord....

Nobody is saying he is the next Tomich or Long.

What he does have that they had is that he came into the program as not a very heralded player and he has worked his ass off to get to the point he is a major contributor. AND, as far as compare to Long, he is a player that some seem to think he "isn't that good" because he is a walk-on. I love the kid because he worked his ass off and the team is better because he is there and if you don't think so, who would have filled in for Gregory the last couple years when he was out? Moss?? No, he was too busy hanging his schlong out at the wrong time. Anyone else???

He is a Husker that works his azz off and has made some very good plays and has been stuck in a scheme that has made many D linemen look like the suck over the last few years.

I have absolutely no clue what he is going to be like in a new scheme but, I'm excited to see what happens. Hey....he might just surprise us.

• Fire 1

I remember people using the fact that Spencer Long was starting on our O line as evidence everyone else sucks. In fact, this "walk-on" was actually just that good and went 3rd round in the draft and has a chance to have a decent career making money at this game.

For every Spencer Long, there's a hand full of Mike Caputos, who work really hard, but just don't have the tools to be anything more than serviceable. There's nothing wrong with that.

We've seen Gangwish play. We have a pretty good understanding of what we have in him. Comparing him to the Tomiches and Longs of the world isn't really fair to him.

Good Lord....

What he does have that they had is that he came into the program as not a very heralded player and he has worked his ass off to get to the point he is a major contributor. AND, as far as compare to Long, he is a player that some seem to think he "isn't that good" because he is a walk-on. I love the kid because he worked his ass off and the team is better because he is there and if you don't think so, who would have filled in for Gregory the last couple years when he was out? Moss?? No, he was too busy hanging his schlong out at the wrong time. Anyone else???

He is a Husker that works his azz off and has made some very good plays and has been stuck in a scheme that has made many D linemen look like the suck over the last few years.

I have absolutely no clue what he is going to be like in a new scheme but, I'm excited to see what happens. Hey....he might just surprise us.

I don't care he's a walk on. I'd take 5 Spencer Longs all across the O-line. My opinion is based on what I've seen on the field exclusively. Even in that scheme that made everyone look bad, there was still a noticeable drop off when Gangwish was in the game. That's cause for at least a little concern imo.

Good Lord....

I don't care he's a walk on. I'd take 5 Spencer Longs all across the O-line. My opinion is based on what I've seen on the field exclusively. Even in that scheme that made everyone look bad, there was still a noticeable drop off when Gangwish was in the game. That's cause for at least a little concern imo.

I guess this is "just serviceable"???

• Second-Team All-Big Ten (Coaches)
  • Third-Team All-Big Ten (Phil Steele)
  • Honorable-Mention All-Big Ten (Media)
  • Burlsworth Trophy Semifinalist (1 of 10)
  • Dave Rimington Trophy Preseason Watch List (2010, 2011)
  • Honorable-Mention All-Big 12 (Coaches, AP, 2010)
  • Tom Novak Award Winner (2011)
  • Jake Young Memorial Scholarship Recipient (2011)
  • Brook Berringer Citizenship Team (2011)
  • Fire 1

Good Lord....

You would have to go and look at every play where Gangwish was involved and see if that was really the case as far as a drop off. I think it's unfair. He was asked to do something different. When Gregory was in the game, Bo moved him around and turned him loose. When Gangwish started in place of an injured Gregory, he was asked to hold the line and set the edge. Big difference.

• Fire 1

<p>

Good Lord....

Yes. I don't consider serviceable to be a bad thing. Is this one of those words that are only offensive on HuskerBoard like "excuse" or "agenda" or "impressive"?

:lol:

Good Lord....

You would have to go and look at every play where Gangwish was involved and see if that was really the case as far as a drop off. I think it's unfair. He was asked to do something different. When Gregory was in the game, Bo moved him around and turned him loose. When Gangwish started in place of an injured Gregory, he was asked to hold the line and set the edge. Big difference.
I agree, it was a big difference.

<p>

Good Lord....

I don't consider serviceable to be a bad thing. Is this one of those words that are only offensive on HuskerBoard like "excuse" or "agenda" or "impressive"?

Then, I misunderstood your use of the phrase.."not being anything more than serviceable". Hey....if this is what that means, I m all for Gangwish being serviceable.

<p>

Good Lord....

I don't consider serviceable to be a bad thing. Is this one of those words that are only offensive on HuskerBoard like "excuse" or "agenda" or "impressive"?

Then, I misunderstood your use of the phrase.."not being anything more than serviceable". Hey....if this is what that means, I m all for Gangwish being serviceable.
Agreed!

Cam Meredith's senior season didn't really pan out because part way through the season he was moved to DT. We had zero depth behind Baker and when he went down the former staff decided to put Cam there. Didn't really work out too well.

Didn't Baker go down against Iowa? So its not like Meredith played DT half the year. He was there for about 2.5 games.

I would love for Gangwish to outperform Meredith. Meredith seemed very pedestrian to me.

Good Lord....

I agree, it was a big difference.

But the big difference wasn't because he wasn't doing his job well, necessarily.

I think the big problem is that a lot of you guys don't think that Gangwich can make a leap in his play from his Jr to Sr years. Which is just not the case. Many players step up and really play when they are finally the man. It happens all the time. Steve Warren was nothing special till his senior year, then he played himself into a high draft pick. Donta Jones barely saw the field before he was a senior and them he started on a NC team and played a few years in the league. Kethen McCant does that ring a bell?

Let the season play out and see what happens.

Personally I think we will have a very solid year. I think he will more than hold his own on the football field.

• Fire 3

I think the big problem is that a lot of you guys don't think that Gangwich can make a leap in his play from his Jr to Sr years. Which is just not the case. Many players step up and really play when they are finally the man. It happens all the time. Steve Warren was nothing special till his senior year, then he played himself into a high draft pick. Donta Jones barely saw the field before he was a senior and them he started on a NC team and played a few years in the league. Kethen McCant does that ring a bell?

Let the season play out and see what happens.

Personally I think we will have a very solid year. I think he will more than hold his own on the football field.

Good post.

Don't understand the attitude of...."well, we have seen him play and he isn't that good". When he has another year to improve and with the coaching changes....everything changes.