“Every snap, every moment that I get out there is a huge deal for me.”

Gregory missed nearly 1/3 of the season last year. He posted 54 tackles, 10 TFL, 7 sacks, and 16 QB hurries.

Anyone think Gangwish could match or surpass those numbers on a full season, in a more aggressive scheme? I think that would be a great season for him.

I think that would be a fantastic season for him.

Gregory missed nearly 1/3 of the season last year. He posted 54 tackles, 10 TFL, 7 sacks, and 16 QB hurries.

Anyone think Gangwish could match or surpass those numbers on a full season, in a more aggressive scheme? I think that would be a great season for him.

I think that would be a fantastic season for him.
Given he won't see nearly the amount of double and triple teams Gregory did, he'll have every opportunity to have that kind of season, or better.

No, it just puts him in a position to start, when he'd be about 3rd string if we still had talent at the position.

There's no way anyone could know that. Gangwish could have beaten out those guys, or he could have been at the bottom of the depth chart. No way to know.
What? They were far better as underclassmen than Gangwish was as an upperclassman last year. It's a pretty safe bet the far better players would have remained ahead on the depth chart.

Is this bizzaro world?

Safe bet? Yes. Guaranteed Gangwish would be third string? Absolutely not.

It's like some of you don't think he can get better with more coaching and experience. Just because other players were ahead of him when they were underclassmen, doesn't mean that will remain true when they're seniors.

If instead we consider the players as it applies to the team, Gangwish > Moss (at least IMO). No matter how talented at football Moss is or was, Gangwish is still the better player for NU since he'll contribute more than a single season.

• Fire 1

No, it just puts him in a position to start, when he'd be about 3rd string if we still had talent at the position.

There's no way anyone could know that. Gangwish could have beaten out those guys, or he could have been at the bottom of the depth chart. No way to know.
What? They were far better as underclassmen than Gangwish was as an upperclassman last year. It's a pretty safe bet the far better players would have remained ahead on the depth chart.

Is this bizzaro world?

It's like some of you don't think he can get better with more coaching and experience. Just because other players were ahead of him when they were underclassmen, doesn't mean that will remain true when they're seniors.

If instead we consider the players as it applies to the team, Gangwish > Moss (at least IMO). No matter how talented at football Moss is or was, Gangwish is still the better player for NU since he'll contribute more than a single season.

Nothing is guaranteed, but I don't believe you really think Gangwish would be ahead of Moss and Gregory if they were still here.

I hope he's significantly better this year, but I'm not counting on it. Seems kind of unfair to him. I think he is what he is.

• Fire 1

Is this bizzaro world?

Nothing is guaranteed, but I don't believe you really think Gangwish would be ahead of Moss and Gregory if they were still here.

I hope he's significantly better this year, but I'm not counting on it. Seems kind of unfair to him. I think he is what he is.

That's exactly my point. He has physical limitations that no matter how hard he works, he will just be a "contributor" as starting DE. Nothing special.

Is this bizzaro world?

That's exactly my point. He has physical limitations that no matter how hard he works, he will just be a "contributor" as starting DE. Nothing special.

Physical limitations?.......

Yea 280 pounds of muscle. Lifter of the year. Boy, you better be built like a 700hp Peterbilt to be saying this kid has "physical limitations". No, never mind, it s hilarious to say no matter who you are.

Jack-Gangwish-geeksandcleats.jpg

Gangwish.jpg

Also let's talk about this " nothing special" comment since it seems to be a popular thing around here to question the abilities of walk-ons. People were questioning him last season too and I defended the kid. I defend a lot of defensive linemen who weren't highly successful in Pelinis scheme. As I said in my comment above, Valentine, Collins or Gregory didn't exactly have spectacular numbers last year either. But as we heap praise upon them, I see nobody questioning them, calling them red flags, or serviceable. No, we've already crowned Collins and Valentine NFL ready.

In Gangwish's case, when you say " nothing special" I think you're degrading the whole process. This is a kid who has said and done all the right things. Hes a leader and a motivator. He works hard on and off the field. He's a stud in the weight room. He played behind an ultimate talent in Randy Gregory as a junior and has now earned the respect of his teammates and coaches to become the probable starter at DE for Nebraska in his senior season.

Oh by the way, he's a WALK ON from Wood River, Nebraska.

Anytime you go from a walk on from small town Nebraska to starting defensive end for the Huskers, that's SOMETHING SPECIAL.

Let's not lose the respect for these kids that work their tails off to earn this. Most of these guys never make it as far as Gangwish has. This thread wasn't started as a way to question the kid, call him a red flag, or call him physically limited (which again is f'ing hilarious) I guarantee you this thread was created to heap praise on a walk on who has worked his way into the top of the depth chart. This man deserves the praise.

bwfd_sscuaaiujg.jpg

• Fire 4

Moss as a freshman played in 12 games, started 3. He recorded 36 tackles, 8 TFL, 4.5 sacks, 6 QB hurries, and a pick-6.

Gangwish as a Junior also played in 12 games, started 3. He recorded 19 tackles, 4 TFL, .5 sack, 0 QB hurries, and a forced fumble.

That's a big disparity in production for similar playing time.

• Fire 1

Freedom will take over a major amount of snaps at DE by mid season. Book It.

We need depth at DE. i'm rooting for Freedom to step up as well. Sounds like he had a good spring. Haven't heard anyone calling Freedom "physically limited", a "red flag", or "serviceable". If Freedom takes a lot of snaps at DE that doesn't mean Gangwish isn't good, it means our defensive line just got that much better. We need depth and rotation at DE.

Moss as a freshman played in 12 games, started 3. He recorded 36 tackles, 8 TFL, 4.5 sacks, 6 QB hurries, and a pick-6.

Gangwish as a Junior also played in 12 games, started 3. He recorded 19 tackles, 4 TFL, .5 sack, 0 QB hurries, and a forced fumble.

That's a big disparity in production for similar playing time.

Avery Moss is a very talented kid. Wish he would have kept his dick in his pants. He, Gangwish, Keels, Freedom and McMullen would probably all reap the benefits statistically playing in this new, more attack style scheme.