“Every snap, every moment that I get out there is a huge deal for me.”

My comment about "physical limitations" mainly had to do with Gangwish's pure talent. NU has a long history of great talent at OLB/DE/pass rushing guys. Go back to guys like Broderick Thomas, Alberts, Troy Dumas, Wistrom, Tomich, Rucker, the Kelsays, Vanden Bosch, Carriker, and Gregory. There is a standard at DE that NU has and fans expect to be at that position. Gangwish may work hard and a great "motor", but I don't think he has the talent that those guys have. That's why I get concerned about the DE position and the defense. NU needs to get back to bringing in those difference makers at DE and elsewhere on defense.

If he's just as physically gifted as Gregory, are we assuming he's going to put up RG numbers and earn All-Conference honors as well?

Or is he physically limited?

By the way, where are you coming up with this stuff? Literally nobody has said any of these things.

Come on Dude you're better than that.

I said that, based on all the Gregory comparisons you've made throughout the thread. The question is, if he's not physically limited, what's preventing him from achieving those things? Why the doubt?

My comment about "physical limitations" mainly had to do with Gangwish's pure talent. NU has a long history of great talent at OLB/DE/pass rushing guys. Go back to guys like Broderick Thomas, Alberts, Troy Dumas, Wistrom, Tomich, Rucker, the Kelsays, Vanden Bosch, Carriker, and Gregory. There is a standard at DE that NU has and fans expect to be at that position. Gangwish may work hard and a great "motor", but I don't think he has the talent that those guys have. That's why I get concerned about the DE position and the defense. NU needs to get back to bringing in those difference makers at DE and elsewhere on defense.

Oh, he's not as good as the greatest pass rushers in Nebraska history. I see, I guess teachercd was right, I was confused by what you meant by "physical limitations". You're right, I have not seen Gangwish play to that level. I hope he does, but that's asking quite a bit.

When you say there is a standard that fans expect at that position, well count me out, I'm as much a fan as you or anyone else and I don't expect every guy to live up to those expectations. I'd love it if they did though.

Man, Valentine and Collins are two of the most physically limited guys on this team then cause they don't sniff Neil Smith, Rich Glover, Danny Noonan, Larry Jacobson, Wayne Meylan, Ndamukong Suh, Kenny Walker or Jason and Christian Peter. Maybe Collins and Valentine do so in the future? But nothing they've done yet puts them near that level.....

Willie Harper, Terrell Farley, Ed Stewart,and Demorrio Williams are offended you left them off your list.

If he's just as physically gifted as Gregory, are we assuming he's going to put up RG numbers and earn All-Conference honors as well?

By the way, where are you coming up with this stuff? Literally nobody has said any of these things.

I said that, based on all the Gregory comparisons you've made throughout the thread. The question is, if he's not physically limited, what's preventing him from achieving those things? Why the doubt?

55115413.jpg

Lifting a lot of weight and being a big guy is not equivalent to being athletic. If it was there would be way fewer powerlifters/bodybuilders. Please quit throwing around his lifting champ stuff like it's a discussion-ender. It means he puts a lot of effort in and is trying to be the best he can be. It means nothing more than that. It doesn't mean he's a great DE. And lifting a lot does not mean you are a smart player, which is also important.

I apologize in advance for the following since it's a worn out topic but this is just like the same old Imani Cross discussion we always have. He's strong, he's a good guy, he tries hard. Those are all good attributes but they don't mean he's a great football player.

• Fire 1

55115413.jpg
I see you're still avoiding the question. Hmmm.

Would I prefer a 5* DE and two more behind him, for sure. But our past staff did not recruit at that level, miss managed the player development and recruiting numbers. We have a kid who has worked his ass off to be the best he can be, the best he can be for Nebraska and its fans. What more could you ask for from him. He is developing as a leader, teams need leaders and he has shown hard work and motivation. A lot of games are won just because of those things.

I hope he has a great season, and all of us are singing his praise at the end of the year. Until then, I wish him and the rest of these kids that have been short changed over the last 7 years the best of luck, hope they learn a lot this year and have the year they have worked so hard for.

I can not blame the kid for any short falls. We know where the shortfall was at. He tried to work beyond on it. Good for him.

• Fire 2

55115413.jpg
I see you're still avoiding the question. Hmmm.

I don't doubt him. He has a senior season, his firt season as a full time starter. I don't understand what you mean when you say "what's preventing him fro achieving those things"? He was a walk on player who has developed his mind, body and skills to become a possible starting defensive end from the first kick of the season. I don't doubt that he will be successful, he just gotten to the point in his career where he is getting an opportunity to show it.

You've dodged a question I've asked you a long time ago. Hmmm......

I'll ask again. What reasons do you feel will cause Gangwish to not be successful. Is that the best answer you that doubt him have? That you you think he's limited physially? As much as I've expressed that I disagree with that statement, in what way is he limited? In what way will those limitations be exposed that will prove him to be a hindrance to this defensive line?

Ive asked this question for quite some time now.......

I don't understand what you mean when you say "what's preventing him fro achieving those things"? He was a walk on player who has developed his mind, body and skills to become a possible starting defensive end from the first kick of the season. I don't doubt that he will be successful, he just gotten to the point in his career where he is getting an opportunity to show it.

What I mean is, if physical limitations isn't the reason you're ruling him out as an All-Conference DE, what is the reason?

If he's as physically able as anyone else, doesn't he have as good a chance as anyone?

Me personally, I think he's talented enough to roughly match Cameron Meredith's Senior season. I'd hardly call that a failure.

Lifting a lot of weight and being a big guy is not equivalent to being athletic. If it was there would be way fewer powerlifters/bodybuilders. Please quit throwing around his lifting champ stuff like it's a discussion-ender. It means he puts a lot of effort in and is trying to be the best he can be. It means nothing more than that. It doesn't mean he's a great DE. And lifting a lot does not mean you are a smart player, which is also important.

I apologize in advance for the following since it's a worn out topic but this is just like the same old Imani Cross discussion we always have. He's strong, he's a good guy, he tries hard. Those are all good attributes but they don't mean he's a great football player.

Isn't it fun to have a long-running argument when the two sides aren't even arguing the same thing? One side says Player X isn't our best guy and the other side responds with "He's a hard worker", "he's our strongest guy", etc. Being one is not equivalent to being the other. Thus, it is possible for both arguments to be correct. That doesn't seem like it should be that hard to comprehend.

I would venture to wager that most college teams have a player or two who are the best workers and kill it in the weight room but never see the field. Genetics just isn't fair.

• Fire 1

I would agree with that Mavric. But it sounds like this kid is going to get a chance, and sometimes when those with less talent get a chance, they maximize it. Here is hoping that is exactly what happens.

Hard workers don't always finish the best.

But it sounds to me like, if you don't have X many stars you have no chance, but those same people say Stars make no difference. You can not have it both ways.

Hard working normally equates to a large degree of loyalty, to his lifting, his hard work, his team and his University. I will take that every time. He does not have the prima donna mentality, and that will help this team in many ways.

• Fire 1